584,837 active members*
5,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Running my CNC machine in a van with a portable gas generator?

Running my CNC machine in a van with a portable gas generator?

Hi guys, I have a problem renting or finding a place to run my homemade CNC machine to cut foam... so the only solution Ive come up with is doing it in a cheap van... sealing the space into two sections and running the machine with the power source supplied from a generator.

My question is will any low end generator be able to power the following setup?

Things needing electricity

Router - power 9.5A motor, 1-3/4 hp
    CNC electronics and motors - Kelling kit with ~380 oz motors.
    ............3 NEMA 23 Motors
    ............36VDC/ 9.7A Power Supply 110VAC/220VAC
    ............GeckoDriver

Mini computer tower
    Lap top - networked as monitor

Small vacuum, but not necessary.

Misc power rating chart

You're going to need an inverter type generator for sine wave output. Either that or some type of power conditioning device plugged into a conventional generator. At which point you would be further ahead buying a Honda 2000i or 3000i. Regular generators output is nowhere "clean" enough to run computers/electronics.

Waa? So you've looked into a VFD and sound dampening?

I live in an apartment and the main issue is the CNC being way too large to fit the storage room... I also have concerns on where the toxic fumes would end up if perfectly vented out through the bathroom vent.

My CNC http://i.imgur.com/qDWFi8e.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RJAZE View Post
    You're going to need an inverter type generator for sine wave output. Either that or some type of power conditioning device plugged into a conventional generator. At which point you would be further ahead buying a Honda 2000i or 3000i. Regular generators output is nowhere "clean" enough to run computers/electronics.
    Thanks a lot! I also see that these Honda's are very quiet compared to the rest.

Im going to try to calculate the total watts and amps needed tomorrow... unless you guys think it should be well under 2000 watts?

Keep in mind the 9.5 amps is full power rating. If you cut only foam the router would consume considerably less, especially if you reduce the speed with something like the Super-PID. I bet you can get away with 1-2 amps.

I don't know if you have the components already but if you optimize the router/spindle and motion parts for power consumption you may be able to get away with a stronger alternator and a power inverter.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

I have a dewalt 611 and it has a peak power usage of a 1.25 horse power.
    One HP is 800 watts. The Kilowatt meter on my CNC setup says my steppers powered by a 48 volt 8 amp PSU,
    the 8 year old P4 desktop, the LCD screen, the dewalt 611, and the 3 watt work light use under 250 watts!
    That's with me routing hardwood with a .25" bit at 130 IPM with .13 DOC at .24 stepover.
    Finally I've never cut foam but I don't think there will be toxic funes unless you melt it.
    Particulate from cement dust to wood chips can be easily removed with a $60 vortex separator and a HEPA rated vacuum. I use my dust deputy with a cup grinder for leveling concrete floors and a shop vac, and I also use it on my CNC machine. The bag lasts hours with the separator.

If your going to run this at home, can't you just get an extension cord? Or are you taking it camping?

Re: Running my CNC machine in a van with a portable gas generator?

I'm interested in learning more about this concept. But specifically with an RV power inverter installed in a cargo van. Could it really be as simple as going with a pure sine wave inverter with the correct amps and some deep cycle batteries? Or will some sort of power line filtering/conditioning be necessary?

I got a generator but have been set back to finishing my CNC. I wonder what a dirty power source can do the electronics other then the computer.
    Myself I will be running my system off an old business class IBM laptop (with a printer port) so clean power may not be necessary.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...lyaWV2RE9SSDVB
    Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    If your going to run this at home, can't you just get an extension cord? Or are you taking it camping?
    I may not be able to run it in a backyard... so yes driving out to somewhere secluded is the other solution on my budget.

i was thinking the same thing with a printer and a citroen 2cv. i do have a van for the family and also run a pc with two separate screens ( 15.6 & 7" touchscreen) back on 2014 i found it is a good idea to plug it in the 12 volt ( you will need to raise on 24v or 36v) . the pc was a mini itx with mobile cpu so it wasn't the problem. the problem is that the 3dprinters needs lot of power due the heated bed and chamber, but that car could give only some amps that wasn't enough .

what i am trying to tell is that i think for a small cnc it is possible to get powered up through the cars electric system with some additions as a solar panel and some more batteries . but i saw that you have already bought ur generator.

The motors will probably be using the most power and I havent soldered in the capacitors that stops the motor from taking in power when not in use... but I wonder if continuous use of power from all three motors might keep a more steady power draw from the generator.

Quote Originally Posted by laminated View Post
    I'm interested in learning more about this concept. But specifically with an RV power inverter installed in a cargo van. Could it really be as simple as going with a pure sine wave inverter with the correct amps and some deep cycle batteries? Or will some sort of power line filtering/conditioning be necessary?
    I've been building a machine specifically to fit in the back of a short bed or cargo van. From memory I think the controller is drawing 400 watts. With spindle and small computer I would expect it to be under 2 kilowatts. I can't seem to find any reason why a 2kw pure sine wave inverter wouldn't be perfectly suitable. Definitely looking for feedback or any suggestions on this. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of deep cycle verse lithium dry cell batteries and whether or not I should go with a 200 or 400 watt solar setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1522270839868.jpg   FB_IMG_1522270830322.jpg  

Wow nice design.
    I will be checking out your posts to see if you ever powered it.

Im starting up this project again... the CNC will fit on my slideout...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orWU-pPxFhY

There's going to be lots of foam dust Im told, if my mobile vaccum doesnt get the job done, would there be a way to hose down everything (except motors and router) and have it collect on to a trap and filtered of hazards before the water being dumped on to grass?

My understanding is that you'd need to derate the generator to run a cnc spindle. I.e for a 9.5a 240v spindle, get a generator capable of at least 19a.

Also, if it is a 3 phase spindle (as most are), you need to look at how many 1 phase amps the vfd draws to output 9.5a 3 phase. For example, my spindle states 19.5a on the name-plate. My VFD has to draw 34a 1 phase 240v to output 19.5a 3 phase 240v.

Once you know how much the VFD draws for your spindle, you can derate the generator and add a margin of error as you would for a home circuit. My spindle is on a 60amp 240v circuit.

If you plan on using a gas powered generator, that will generate it's own fumes. I doubt you could leave it running inside a van so you'd want outdoor space where you park.

There's going to be lots of foam dust Im told, if my mobile vaccum doesnt get the job done, would there be a way to hose down everything (except motors and router) and have it collect on to a trap and filtered of hazards before the water being dumped on to grass?

Your informants are right about the dust. But it doesn't behave nicely; instead it clings to every surface. A vacuum cleaner alone is fairly useless in dealing with it.- it normally takes brushing and vacuuming combined to make much impression. I suppose you could seal off the front of the van from the rear, strip out everything and cover the whole compartment thus created with layers of fiberglass and resin; that would give you something you could hose out, although filtering the effluent would be an adventure in itself- the foam dust is likely to clog any filter you use, and will want to float out the top. Protecting the motors, control box, and spindle from the water would be another challenge.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Your creating a big headache for yourself. Find a garage or small shop with power and AC to rent and just do your work over there. Thats the cheapest solution, unless you want to invest in a Used cube van like UPS uses. What your showing is a mini van.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Im too poor and have no income to rent a space... might be able to use my fathers backyard but I need something reliable.
    My goals are to make a 1/5 scale toy car and later make a life size kit to redesign an old sports car.
    https://i.imgur.com/A4shax9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    My understanding is that you'd need to derate the generator to run a cnc spindle. I.e for a 9.5a 240v spindle, get a generator capable of at least 19a.

Also, if it is a 3 phase spindle (as most are), you need to look at how many 1 phase amps the vfd draws to output 9.5a 3 phase. For example, my spindle states 19.5a on the name-plate. My VFD has to draw 34a 1 phase 240v to output 19.5a 3 phase 240v.
    My generator in storage is an older Champion 2000W model... it should have two 120v 20a outlets.
    I have a smaller router now (Hitachi m12 vc) but its rated higher at 120v, 11a, and 1250w. Hopefully it starts up okay and I can keep the rotation low to still cut foam.
    Having an old laptop with a printer port is probably the best power saving method I made.

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    Once you know how much the VFD draws for your spindle, you can derate the generator and add a margin of error as you would for a home circuit. My spindle is on a 60amp 240v circuit.

If you plan on using a gas powered generator, that will generate it's own fumes. I doubt you could leave it running inside a van so you'd want outdoor space where you park.
    For sure I'll keep the generator outside and think about a cover for rain too.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Your informants are right about the dust. But it doesn't behave nicely; instead it clings to every surface. A vacuum cleaner alone is fairly useless in dealing with it.- it normally takes brushing and vacuuming combined to make much impression. I suppose you could seal off the front of the van from the rear, strip out everything and cover the whole compartment thus created with layers of fiberglass and resin; that would give you something you could hose out, although filtering the effluent would be an adventure in itself- the foam dust is likely to clog any filter you use, and will want to float out the top. Protecting the motors, control box, and spindle from the water would be another challenge.
    In automotive painting they use static electricity to attract positively charged paint to a negative grounded car panel. I wonder if theres a simple setup to achieve this to help reduce the mess.

I think I will cover the cnc with the tent I have pictured, but cut it to be bottomless... this way I can place a tarp shaped box underneath, take the tent off and wash all the foam bits into it.
    I can then use multiple strainers to take out the environmental hazards and dump the water.

Maybe I can just bag the motors and router.

https://youtu.be/TeswdVy9yLI

What I am trying to figure out is if your serious or not . I wish you luck at your project. I have one of those router motors and it will be fine for what your doing.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Thanks!

I see that a grounded wire can attract large wood chip dust... not sure how effective it will be if I setup some kind of cheap looped ionizer wire to hover over the table.

1:30min mark
    https://youtu.be/UP8ZQplX1K4?t=108