585,670 active members*
4,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Beryllium copper

Does anyboby know when milling beryllium copper in a cnc milling machine that the mist that is created from the collant is hazardus to breath

No, it's a very small amount of BE bonded to copper, so it doesn't get airborne unless you belt sand/grind it. Dermal protection should be used, BE in the skin can cause festering sores that won't heal until the material is removed. On the safe side I would clean the machine and change the coolant after the job.

My dad died from Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Back during the early 1970's he managed a beryllium foundry. It only took him like 2 years to develop the disease.
    The fumes off the molten metal is the most toxic form.

Quote Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
    My dad died from Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Back during the early 1970's he managed a beryllium foundry. It only took him like 2 years to develop the disease.
    The fumes off the molten metal is the most toxic form.
    That sucks big time. Your dad was the manager, how long did the line workers live? Did anyone get any form of compensation?

One of the workers there did come to work for my dad about 10 years later and yes he died the same way. Back then we lived in SC . Were OSHA and the EPA even organized yet? I was a kid so I dont know. I do recall that when he first got sick that he had a lung biopsy and was a diagnosis of Beryllinosis (sp). He spent about 6 weeks in a university hospital and the company did pay for it but he later signed a release. In the later years when it was determined that this was the cause of his "Occupational Disease" we did try to file a claim against this global company. The release stopped that rather quickly though. I do still have contacts in a beryllium foundry being a pattern maker. Nowadays scuba-type respirators are mandatory around melting and grinding. All employees must wear company furnished uniforms and
    must take showers before they leave the premises. I am sure there are other restrictive measures in place these days but this is about all I recall. Stay away from that stuff if not for yourself for your family!

No real restrictions on BE till about 1982. Straight BE is nasty stuff, I know quite a few people that are sensitized to it now. I've been tested a couple times, and fortunately all good. Did he work for Wyman Gordon by chance? They were the main producer of it.

Iirc the name was Berylco but I am not certain. I think it is now NGK. It is a horrible death to watch.