585,880 active members*
7,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Danger Danger BobCAD-CAM Problem..............
Page 1 of 3 123

Danger Danger BobCAD-CAM Problem..............

I have a problem with BobCAD-CAM V25, that BobCAD Customer Service will not address in a satisfactory way. I bought and paid for BobCAD-CAM V25 along with BobCAD Art with the understanding that I was getting all of the functions and features that I need to run my CNC in a small sign making shop. After numerous e-mails and phone conversations with tech support and customer service. Ms. B.P. "Customer Service Manager" admits that I was mislead into believing that BobCAD-CAM V25 will do all of the functions I need to run my sign making business. Ms. B.P. "Customer Service Manager" states in an e-mail, that "after carefully listening to the phone calls between you and Mark I did find where he misled you on advertising a feature we unfortunately do not currently offer". And Ms. B.P. "Customer Service Manager" is telling me that I will be given a refund upon the return of the software that I purchased from BobCAD.
    Well here is the problem..............
    BobCAD wants me to pay a 20% restocking fee to return the software!!!!
    I explained to Ms. B.P. "Customer Service Manager" that I would not have purchased the software if I had been told up front by Mr. M.W. that some functions and features are missing from BobCAD-CAM that I need to make my signs. Ms. B.P. is insisting that their return policy says "All refunds are subject to a 20% of the Purchase Price restocking fee." And also says: "Upon installing the software, you agreed to the policy. I have included a copy of the Refund Policy for your records."
    So, BobCAD wants me to give them $120 for a 'restocking fee' for a problem I did not create. Ms. B.P. "Customer Service Manager" admits that I was misled (nice way of saying "Lied To") into buying the software package by Mr. M.W. but they will not take responsibly for a mistake and refund my full purchase price.
    I would like to ask the community here on CNCzone. What would you do to resolve this lack of understanding, short of legal help, on BobCAD's part?

Ask to speak to her superior ?

Out of curiosity,what were you promised the software could do,but it cannot ?

I did ask to have her superior intervene, two days ago, with nothing but silence in return.

What did Mr. M.W. promise?
    I was told that I would be able to send a customer a .pdf or .jpg proof for approve before cutting the project on the CNC. Come to find out, this was not true. Mr. M.W. did not know his product. Ms. B.P. admits to this but sense a piece of paper says, "All refunds are subject to a 20% of the Purchase Price restocking fee" they want their $120. Like I tried to explain to Ms. B.P. if I had done anything to cause this problem, I would not mind the restocking fee. But sense I "DID NOT", just let me return the software for a full refund and I will go on my way.

I feel slightly misled opening this thread.

None the less, the sales conversations are recorded. You may find a way out there if there was clear mis-direction.

You probably already know this, and though it's not built in to the software, you can still make a JPG or PDF of whats on your screen using the printscreen button. And, you can use the Presentation feature in the built in simulator to make a self playing file of the cut and finished product in 3D to send your customers. Just thought I would throw that out there.

You can send an actual Simulation of the part being cut,and the customer even has the ability to use the the different settings,zoom,rotate,just about anything.The customer in other words can take control of the simulation to their liking.This feature is called Simulation Presentation.
    You could also use print screen or snipping tool(which is free in windows) for a .jpeg

Maybe I am misunderstanding something,but how I am reading,no problem conveying information at job at hand.

Tony faster typer,ha

jrmach
    Thanks for the reply, but most of my sign customers don't even know what a CNC is. Must less understand what they are looking at if I were to send them a 'Simulation Presentation'.

All they "Have" to do is push the "Play" button.It's pretty obvious what the part will look like.
    I also gave 2 other options that are built in your computer.
    There are hundreds,if not thousands of other options out there on the Internet that are Free.
    I mean,maybe BoB does not diectly,in itself do what you want,technically speaking.But man,if I am correctly interpreting your complaint,,it would be so trivial it would never be an issue for almost all.If you want a way to do exactly what you want,there is no doubt the users of this forum can offer an easy,quick,free,no cost to you,solution to your problem.Just ask.
    Or are you just not liking BoB altogether and looking for a way out ?

The restocking fee is not uncommon in the industry, not just with Bobcad. I feel your pain, but a $120 restocking fee is a blessing compared to most CNC software. I was told with a very well respected CAM software that they could make a post processor for any machine and guaranteed that there would be no problem making one for mine after I told them what it would need to do. In the end, they couldn't make good on that promise and the restocking fee was about $1500. The lesson learned, at least for me, is that until you know for sure that software can do what you need, you don't pay the money. The sales guys should have been able to schedule a demo where they can address each and every one of your needs, but on the other hand you were only buying $600 software (based on $120 being 20%), so there should be some expectation that you can do your own research as well. Would you, as a business, spend 10 hours selling a $600 product that also has development time associated with it? The Demo version will run in full unrestricted mode for 5 days, then it runs forever as a demo that can't save anything useful to generate code. You could have spent a little time with the software before buying and made sure it did what you need.

As to the feature you are looking for, it does seem like a very trivial feature to abandon an otherwise useful piece of software over. You are obviously using Windows, so if you have Windows Vista or 7 (and probably 8), you just use the snipping tool and you can save a JPEG of whatever you can show on your screen. All you have to do is get the preview the way you want it, start the snipping tool and draw a box around what you want to send to your clients. That's just one of many ways you could send a proof to your clients, all depending on what format the drawing is in and how you want to display it. You really should ask around in the forums here before giving up. Start a thread with what your needs are, post an example of what kind of file you typically work with to begin with (is it just a dxf, or a solid model, etc.) and see if the many people who also work with clients may have already found the solution you need.

jrmach
    Are you sure you read my whole post?
    I was told by Mr. M.W. that BobCad would do everything that I needed from the program when I ask him outright about the .pdf and .jpeg files. So I don't think that it is not "trivial" to not have all the facts about the software before I bought in. Do You? It should be obvious I would not have ordered the program if I had known before hand about BobCad's short comings and then start looking for a work around.

If you are looking for a presentation tool to create screen shots and short videos that are free I would recommend you try jing. I use it often and find it to be a great tool to present information.

Download Jing, Free Software for Screenshots and Screencasts

It is free and a very useful tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	193528
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

YES,it is trivial.I do not know your computer skills,nor do I wish to comment about them.I don't want to put you down either or attack you.
    I will say,most softwares have a Demo.If you took the trouble to ask the salesman what the software could do,seems like getting the Demo should also be no trouble,,it is free and easy to do.If that is your only complaint with the software,,geez,,you have got yourself one Great software.Take a look at these Pics,is this what you are trying to do ? Less than 30 seconds to do,with software Microsoft supplied on your computer,,for Free.If you don't run Windows,there are hundreds of other options,,for free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.JPG   2.JPG  

jrmach;
    How did you add the dimensions on your example? I have Bob 25 which has replaced 21, 23 and 24. Yes, I do like the software but have very little experience with doing 2d drawings for presentation. Not hijacking the thread, just asking you to elaborate on your response if not too much trouble.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

It would be interesting to here the recorded phone call.

"BobCad can do jpg's AND pdf's!"

Well, it DOES do jpgs nativly without using another tool. Pressing printscreen produces a jpg pf the viewport in this folder:

C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V25\images

Although, like others, I use other tools for a little more control.

A pdf? Well, that's where the mislead, or "lied to" would come in. I mean, if he has a pdf printer installed, then of course BobCad produces pdf's. But not "3d pdf's". And it doesnt have a pdf printer bundled with it.

Bill,these were just screen shots with the snipping tool that is in windows.On my computer it is located in the accessories folder in the start menu.As far as different kind of pics of the same part.One being a solid and one being a solid with dimensions,I have multiple layers created that I can turn off/on.To get the dimensions initially,I have another layer with wireframe that I dimension off of.Yeah,if you want to get in it more,start a new thread of what you would like to do and know.Layers are powerful,notice the layers in the pic.I can turn on/off things I want to see and not see.

http://s11.postimg.org/pb75gavn7/image.jpg

gene8522

Everyone does understand your frustration and there may well have been some misleading/misunderstanding on the part of the Salesperson that BobCAD have agreed upon but it doesn`t as far as I can tell "waive" the restocking fee.
    That can only be done I would think at the Companys discretion and if they say they are not going to negotiate that then I would say that no amount of posting here or on the BobCAD own Forum will likely adress the issue.
    The only suggestion I have for you would be to pursue your issue through the Florida Better Business Bureau, they can mediate between yourself and BobCAD without resorting to the Lawyers( :bat: :bat, there is one in Clearwater and the complaints area can be found at this link :-

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started

Hope that gets you some help/satisfaction, we here on the "Zone" can only help you with the sort of ideas that have already been posted, not resolve your issues with BobCAD

Regards
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    YES,it is trivial.I do not know your computer skills,nor do I wish to comment about them.I don't want to put you down either or attack you.
    I will say,most softwares have a Demo.If you took the trouble to ask the salesman what the software could do,seems like getting the Demo should also be no trouble,,it is free and easy to do.If that is your only complaint with the software,,geez,,you have got yourself one Great software.Take a look at these Pics,is this what you are trying to do ? Less than 30 seconds to do,with software Microsoft supplied on your computer,,for Free.If you don't run Windows,there are hundreds of other options,,for free.
    I understand that there are some that use BobCAD-CAM and think that it is the best thing 'sense individually wrapped cheese slices'. I did download the demo and after 3 days and 11 e-mail (6/17-6/19) from Mr. M.W. and three phone calls of high pressure selling, price discounts (and free BobArt) for me to buy. With the assurance that this software was just what I have been looking for. I bought in. So this was no snap decision to buy, from me. Then again why should I have to look for a work around, that I'm sure may be out, for something I was told would work right out of the BOX by the representative from BobCAD. Now it's my fault because I did not try and look for ways to make the program work the way I wanted it to.
    Let me say this. This all started because I read that someone was using the new BobCAD-CAM v25 and liked the way it worked. So I went to BobCAD's web site and download the 'Demo'. That's when the e-mails and phone calls started. With the discounts and assurances that I needed BobCAD-CAM V25 +BobArt.

Engine Guy has the best option for you.But since you bring this to the attention for everyone to see,on a Public Forum,I do feel like I can make a comment or 2 or 3.Think this is Trivial,Think your being Petty,and think there is more to the story here of why you want your $$$ back.But,hey good luck.If you decide to keep it,come back here with an open mind and join in the Forum to use the software to it's fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    gene8522

Everyone does understand your frustration and there may well have been some misleading/misunderstanding on the part of the Salesperson that BobCAD have agreed upon but it doesn`t as far as I can tell "waive" the restocking fee.
    That can only be done I would think at the Companys discretion and if they say they are not going to negotiate that then I would say that no amount of posting here or on the BobCAD own Forum will likely adress the issue.

The only suggestion I have for you would be to pursue your issue through the Florida Better Business Bureau, they can mediate between yourself and BobCAD without resorting to the Lawyers( :bat: :bat, there is one in Clearwater and the complaints area can be found at this link :-

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started

Hope that gets you some help/satisfaction, we here on the "Zone" can only help you with the sort of ideas that have already been posted, not resolve your issues with BobCAD

Regards
    Rob
    Engine Guy:
    Thanks for the suggestion I had not thought about the BBB. Good idea!!! Thanks
    My hope here, was to help anyone looking to buy BobCAD-CAM to understand that before you send BobCAD hundreds for dollars make sure the software will work for your application. There again I was told by their rep. how happy I would be using BobCAD-CAM. Yeah, RIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    It would be interesting to here the recorded phone call.

"BobCad can do jpg's AND pdf's!"

Well, it DOES do jpgs nativly without using another tool. Pressing printscreen produces a jpg pf the viewport in this folder:

C:\BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V25\images

Although, like others, I use other tools for a little more control.

A pdf? Well, that's where the mislead, or "lied to" would come in. I mean, if he has a pdf printer installed, then of course BobCad produces pdf's. But not "3d pdf's". And it doesnt have a pdf printer bundled with it.

Hi Gene,

Did you see this post from Burr? It is sort of 'built-in' to the software to do JPG files. Hitting printscreen takes a snapshot and saves it in \BobCAD-CAM Data\BobCAD-CAM V25\images. Just tried it myself. Doesn't do PDF files but at least one of the things you asked, but PDF995 is free for windows and will do what you want as well.

And thanks for the tip Burr, never knew it did that. Still learning here as well

Page 1 of 3 123