584,808 active members*
5,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hitachi Seikis > Hitachi HT-25G - Alarm 5105 Turret Won't Index + No QCT Tool Clamp/Unclamp

Hitachi HT-25G - Alarm 5105 Turret Won't Index + No QCT Tool Clamp/Unclamp

Sorry for the gap in posts, it is tough to get to this problem regularly.

3 Parts to this error that may or may not be related.

#1: Symptoms: Please consider that the shop I bought the machine from attempted to fix it and may have moved limit switches or otherwise messed with the standard mechanical settings of the machine.

Turret Will Not Manually (or automatically) Index:

When the maintenance screen is brought up after ‘control on’ and ‘standby’ the turret shows “Position Good”. As soon as the turret index key is pushed, Turret Position shows ‘BAD’

Photo 3

When index key is manually selected the turret lifts only about .010” and does not rotate. When the turret lifts just the .010” the limit switch and solenoid indicates “unclamped” on the Maintenance Guide / Status Display of Switch page.

Photo 2

When the turret lifts I can tap the turret with a dead blow mallet and rotate it very slightly but it is obviously not completely disengaging the coupling teeth enough to rotate. This is where the turret index process stalls. The turret does not seem to attempt any rotation.

NOTE: When the turret is clamped at ‘control-on’ and ‘standby’ the LS27A & SOL27A illuminate properly. Then if the manual turret index button is pressed the turret slightly unclamps per above but proceeds no further in the index process. Once uncamped the turret cannot be made to reclamp by hitting standby or Estop. Both LS and SOL say unclamped. Only powering the control down and then up will reclamp the turret.

Question: Is the turret lift stroke controlled by the limit switch? In other words, will a switch adjustment get the turret to lift enough to index?

#2: Turret Drive

I believe have a problem. It may be the entire problem with the turret index.

The PLC display is dead on the turret drive but it is not the display itself. Nothing on the display illuminates at all. I swapped the display on the turret drive with the unit on the spindle drive that works normally. The display from the turret drive illuminated normally when mounted on the spindle drive unit & vice versa.

A previous response to my original post asked for output voltages from the VT-UT-WT leads. Here are the results:

VT-UT-WT to ground all show zero, at least every time we checked it whether the turret was clamped or unclamped.

VT-UT-WT to either B1P or B2N, the leads adjacent, all showed 11-12 Volts. However, the voltage would randomly drop to ZERO, apparently unrelated to anything we could determine or calling the turret index. It seemed if I rebooted the machine it would be there, most of the time anyway, but when I went back to confirm VT-UT-WT to B1P or B2N Volts it would show Zero. All three leads VT-UT-WT seem to act in concert, they have voltage or don’t.

Any suggestion on next steps for further diagnostics or where to send boards for repair? Which boards to send?

Photo 1

#3: Tool Unclamp Doesn’t Work

The QCT turret tool clamp/unclamp does not actuate at all. The switch indicator light does not flash when pressed. One light on the solenoid valve is continuously lit and shows the valve does not cycle and the end of the valve gets very hot. Any way to tell if the solenoid is mechanically stuck or if it is just getting a constant unclamp signal?

I am beginning to wonder about a plugged hydraulic system as this machine sat unused for about 10 years... Does anyone know where the hydraulic filter is located?

TIA for your support!!

Hello,

first off, what type of drive does the turret have? Also, does the current tool station match what the control says? If the turret is unclamping as you say, and the limit switches are reading, then that leads to the drive having an issue. When it is unclamped, you won't be able to manually turn it as the induction motor that controls the indexing of the turret is energized, and therefore you cannot manually rotate it. Also, if you are having issues with the turret, the QTC will not funciton properly until the ladder tells it that it's ok to operate, so lets get the turret working first. It may be silly, but do you have hydraulic pressure? Let me know about the stations and the drive and pressure and we will go from there.

John

Thanks to all who replied. Problem was a bad turret servo drive. I sent it to Precision Zone who gave it a 'rebuild'. I can't complain about the quality of work but I will say something about the $1700 price tag to 'rebuild' the drive. That said they did replace the fan, clean it & did a 'couple other things'.

Precision Zone used to repair the problem with the drives. Now, it is a one price 'rebuild' or nothing. Tech let slip it was a power supply problem. I am pretty sure I could have had the power supply fixed for a couple of hundred bucks at my local electronics shop. So I am a little poorer but wiser, but I am not complaining about the work they did or their level of service, just the 'one size fits all problems price'.

BTW this machine sat unused since 2000. Now that it is fired up the service tech told me it is in exceptionally good shape and he could sell it for me with a phone call. Purrs like a kitten. I am pumped.

Hitachi Multi-L conversational is silly easy for a newbie to use with all of the instructions embedded step by step. Someone should have bought that software.

Best Of Luck,
    HN