585,973 active members*
4,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Identifying usable components in a BP BOSS3 Power Cabinet

Identifying usable components in a BP BOSS3 Power Cabinet

I'm sure there are other people out there who have converted their Bridgeport BOSS machines and having stripped off all the old components, wonder what components are reusable. The transformers seem like the most obviously useful parts, especially if making a large power supply. I plan to reuse the power cable and plug, and possibly the line conditioning module.

So if you can identify a part, provide specs, or tell us how you've recycled (reused) it, then please chime in!

If we get these parts identified well enough, perhaps we can ask the moderator to move the thread into the FAQ section for others to reference!

The transformers are labeled A-E to make them easy to refer to!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power cabinet question2.JPG  

Surely someone can help me identify at least the transformers... c'mon guys, don't hold back =)

A - control transformer (T1) 220V input, 110V output, 1KVA
    B - axis drive 3 phase transformer (T2)
    C-E - Saturable core reactors used to limit current of axis drives

Thanks Eric!

Is there any way to use the 3 phase drive transformer with single phase, without a rotary phase converter? Just trying to see if these transformers would be suitable for driving a Gecko or Rutex, for instance.

I would like to know the answer to that one myself. I have a Boss 5 and Im going to run it off pmdx and gecko drives and would like to use the 56vdc power supply running off 115vac power.

I had the same interest as you guys. This is what I have found:
    The large three phase step down can possibly be used if you cut one off of the three, very hard to do with ought nicking the wires don't know the va.
    The small single phase step down may work if wired 440 in and 110 out with actual 220 feeding the primary who knows what va you will get out of it, I think it is originally rated at 500va and I doubt you will get 500 wired like this. The reactors I have read nothing about. You can salvage the original dc capacitors and rectifiers.

I found a large toroid out of a batt charger. I rewired it to get 50v ac on the secondary. I purchased two large caps off of ebay and will do the same for the rectifier. The transformer is the costly part, the rest of the power supply is quite cheep. I plan on keeping my original control functional for backup or for selling it. I plan on making the new control portable so it can be used on different machines. A voltage dump is required to get rid of excess voltage created by the steppers when decelerating, have any of you found a good design for one?
    Stephen