585,894 active members*
5,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Mogul

CNC Mogul

I think it's time for a thread for CNC Mogul. I am getting mine today. Are there any owners that would care to comment?
    I sure would like to hear about your experiences.
    Mike Stone told me he was selling up to five units a day.
    I think it's time comments are in line to be posted.

I'm considering ordering a 48 x 96 for light duty cutting in the shop instead of using the multicam for everything.
    I would like to hear more comments from others using the cnc mogul and how accurate it is especially for multi passes.

Getting a cnc router to do something.

I have Mech3 software and I am completely bewildered. I can't figure it out and can't get it to do anything.
    Isn't there a more simple way to get this machine going?

Call CNC MOGUL
    262-490-9949 we can get you going quickly

I just ordered a USB controller from the CNC Mogul website. I must say, very fast shipping. However, I've been unable to contact them via email. I've sent several messages via email and through the contact page and have had no response and I did have a few questions.

I am in the process of rebuilding my current CNC router and I'm hoping the USB controller will help my dilemma. My CNC computer finally died and the replacement doesn't have a serial port on the mother board. I do have a serial card installed but for some reason I can't get it to work. Hence, the USB controller...

I am also VERY interested in replacing my current setup with a CNC Mogul. The machine I have now is taking up too much room in my garage. Please keep this thread going as I'm very interested in how this machine goes together and performs. I'm not looking for heavy duty as I'll be cutting mostly foam, balsa, light ply and dabbling in learning 3d routing.

If anybody has an answer for the email issue, feel free to chime in. Once I get closer to purchase, I will definitely give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by jingles View Post
    I have Mech3 software and I am completely bewildered. I can't figure it out and can't get it to do anything.
    Isn't there a more simple way to get this machine going?
    Any luck getting it going?

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I'm considering ordering a 48 x 96 for light duty cutting in the shop instead of using the multicam for everything.
    I would like to hear more comments from others using the cnc mogul and how accurate it is especially for multi passes.
    The Mogul is very accurate. You will not find a better machine for the cost. I run a 36"X48"with a Craftsman Digital 2 1/4 hp router. The good thing about the Mogul is that it is an open source CNC. With this said, you can create your own modifications and share with other owners. This machine does anything that a $5000, $10,000 or $100,000 machine can do. If you run Vectric software with Mach 3, you are producing work in a week.

I stopped fighting with my older CNC setup and ordered a 36x48 setup. I also ordered a set of 24" rails for a more compact mode also. I must say, I LOVE this thing so far. It was painless to assemble and set up. I enjoyed the build immensely! I'm using a Craftsman Digital 2.25hp router also. I did opt for the custom Craftsman mount and it is very nice too. I also got the limit switch kit but haven't put it on yet.

This setup was about as "plug and play" as it gets. I assembled the machine, loaded the Mogul xml into my Mach3 and it worked. It worked... I was ready to pull some hair out setting it up, but no hair ended up on the floor... Now, I haven't done any "tweaking" yet, but I am thrilled it worked out of the gate!

I attached a pen to the Z gantry and ran the "roadrunner" file that's included with Mach3 to test all the axis and run in the rollers. It drew the file perfectly! I have not cut anything yet as I had to leave for a 4 day trip, but this weekend I'll start cutting some test pieces and setting up an Xbox controller and maybe some edge and center macros.

All in all, I'll give it a thumbs up so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0010.jpg   IMAG0011.jpg  

I am questioning the machines rigidity, otherwise it doesn't sound that bad for a small one.
    I have yet to touch aluminum extrusions though, so what do I know

I'm going to build a table today so I can mount it a bit more permanently. Still have to work out the details, but I have some ideas. As far as rigidity, I think it will be fine for the light materials I will be cutting, it seems pretty good now. I guess it depends on what your cutting and the precision you are after.

However, there is a gantry upgrade that adds a 2nd set of rails to the gantry. I think that would really do the trick and add support for a larger router like the craftsman. A lot of my cutting will be with a Rotozip or a Dremel and it'll be fine. I will however, upgrade mine to the double gantry setup in the future.

Any updates? Curious how the R&P system was done.