585,760 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: SOS - Interact 1 Mk2 blowing fuses

Yeah mine also indexes Z-Y-X, and when X is disconnected and i press the orange power up (mine is green) nothing happens apart from a clicking relay.

I will try those other two points today though when i get chance. Also, i was winding the x axis by hand yesterday and the motor makes a "clunking" noise, i am 99.9% sure that its coming from the actual motor, its almost like a knocking noise.

Many Thanks!

Jack.

Right, just re-connected two of the thick wires in x-axis (27 and 28) and left 4 and 5 disconnected and machine turns on and indexes Z and Y :wee: so is this proof enough? If you dont mind me asking how much did you manage to find a replacement motor for?

Thanks!

Jack

Hi Jack,

I've paid everything from

Hi again ade,

I ended up sending the motor for a refurb, just got it back today.. wired back into the machine and my screen is now saying "x-measurement system defective". The encoder is plugged in and there wasnt a problem with it before? Any ideas?

Regards,

Jack

All I can suggest is undo the 4 screws that hold the decoder back on, carefully remove the decoder back & make sure the multi-way plug is correctly attached within. If it's off or mis-aligned, that's probably your problem. When you sent the motor away, did you undo the encoder cable at the controller end or the motor end? When I swapped mine out, I unplugged the motor end & swapped the end caps. as it seemed easier...

If all else fails - contact the company who re-furbed it & tell them they broke the encoder...

Yes i took the end cap off and detached the green multiway plug and sent the motor away without the endcap. How could the plug be misaligned? Also, do you know if there is a way to swap the x and y encoders at the control end, so that if it is not another problem the machine should simply read Y-measurement system defective rather than x? I think i will be ringing the company on monday.

Thanks Ade

Jack

Hi Jack,

I don't think that plug has any "handedness" to it (blanked pins, etc.), so you might have fitted it upside down, or offset by one pin to the left or right. Any of those would prevent it from working. Can you take a photo showing the plug?

Also - when does the fault get noticed by the machine? If it's right on startup, that suggests a short and/or open circuit where there shouldn't be one - i.e. broken tacho or broken wires, or mis-fitted plug. Also, check the thin blue & red wires inside the motor wiring box, they're tacho related IIRC. Make sure they are the right way around.

If the machine is trying to move before it fails the X-axis measuring; then swapping the leads might tell you what's up. e.g. if the problem moves to the Y-axis, it's probably not the wiring on the machine, but the encoder/tacho itself. If it doesn't notice until you try to move the machine, then it says the X-axis is still faulty, then suspect the wiring on the machine.

IIRC, the connector inside the controller has a knurled ring to unscrew, then it simply pulls out. There will be one per axis, I don't know exactly where they are though...

If you're still really struggling, can you get down to Merseyside? I have a spare motor I can lend you to get you out of a bind - I'd need it back though... guarantee that as soon as it's off site mine will blow another one...

Cheers,
    Ade.

It has two clips on the top so you cant actually put it on upside down, and if i offset the plug by one to the right, the encoder light comes on but when it is plugged in correctly the light will not come on. I have also just found out that the motor has actually had a new encoder put in :S. The fault usually shows up after i press the cancel button when the screen displays "power interrupted" but for a short while it was getting to the indexing screen, where z and y would move to their referencing points but when i pressed the green button to reference x it would make a clicking noise and then come up with the error message. Now i cannot get it to index z and y, it simply comes up with the error message, i cannot get the light to come on in the encoder but i know the light works.

I do not know how to swap the x and y encoder wires (to come up with a y-axis measuring system defective message) the only knurled knobs in the control box contain fuses.

Merseyside is 130 miles from us, so dont really want to travel that far if i can help it. Do you have a bridgeport series 2 mdi? with ERO 115 125 encoders?

Attachment 238516

There is an image showing the green plug correctly attached - image is from another forum but it is the same encoder.

Cheers,

Jack

Right, just managed to swap the y and x encoder cables and the screen came up with y axis measurement system defective rather than x, and the light came on in the y encoder so it cant be the cable.

I am going to send the motor back to where it was refurbished today. They have a testing jig so hopefully it is still faulty.

Cheers,

Jack

Page 2 of 2 12