585,715 active members*
3,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > Taig modification to increase Y axis travel

Taig modification to increase Y axis travel

Attachment 193988

This should be self explanatory, let me know if it isn't.
    btw: i drilled out the 10-32 screws and replaced them with 1/4-20.
    the steel is some mystery 3/4" thin wall pipe, pretty lightweight but sufficiently strong.

You're going to gain at least a solid inch of travel before the Y axis slide comes too far off the machine.

Also why the heck did Taig not go with the tapered X axis gibb (sp?) design for the Y axis? they used it for the z axis as well...

another mod to gain another half inch is to take the entire Y axis aluminum plate and the two steel ways.. and move that about half an inch further away from the back of the machine, you will then be able to send the y axis off the end of the ways away from the operator. (but you'll have to drill and tap 8 more holes.)

Re: Taig modification to increase Y axis travel

Further modification to increase Y axis travel while also allowing you to tighten the leadscrew nut without taking the entire mill apart:

Drill out the 3/8th inch hole with a half inch drill, just deep enough for the leadscrew nut.
    Grind down a 1/4-20 countersunk machine screw (or mill a space for a washer, or find a 10-32 bolt that has a head larger than 3/8th diameter) and thread it for 10-32.
    Countersink the top of the 3/8th hole for the screw.
    Drill out the bronze lead screw and tap it for 10-32.

http://johansense.com/bulk/taig/P1050527.JPG

the stepper will need to be shifted over.
    positioning is critical because the leadscrew nut will be run all the way up to the end of the screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    Attachment 193988

This should be self explanatory, let me know if it isn't.
    btw: i drilled out the 10-32 screws and replaced them with 1/4-20.
    the steel is some mystery 3/4" thin wall pipe, pretty lightweight but sufficiently strong.

You're going to gain at least a solid inch of travel before the Y axis slide comes too far off the machine.

Also why the heck did Taig not go with the tapered X axis gibb (sp?) design for the Y axis? they used it for the z axis as well...

another mod to gain another half inch is to take the entire Y axis aluminum plate and the two steel ways.. and move that about half an inch further away from the back of the machine, you will then be able to send the y axis off the end of the ways away from the operator. (but you'll have to drill and tap 8 more holes.)
    Just before joining this forum, I did the same, but used two 3/4 aluminum square tubing bolted together as I was worried about twisting. Now looking to extend the YZ axis, any picts?