584,874 active members*
4,778 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Machine scrap yard in Seattle area?

Machine scrap yard in Seattle area?

I was wondering if anyone in the Seattle area might know of a tooling or machine scrap yard besides Boeing Surplus where I might be able to find some THK bearings etc...

I know, long shot but I hadta ask

Darren

I'm in the same boat. I live in Olympia and can't seem to find a good source for scrap metal/printers or just surplus that can be used to making a mill.

I believe Boeing Surpulus would be a good source for scrap printers. I just don't know which ones would have the stepper motors that would be worth salvaging. They have tons of computers there etc...

They used to have lots of scrap metal but lately have little in the way of aluminum and titanium or even bearings.

Guess I might have to buy retail sheet stock.

Darren

You could try this place for aluminum. http://www.pacificindustrial.com/Metal/diamond.html. I believe that its done on the water some were. I have not been there yet but they do say that they sell scrap aluminum pieces for $3 a pound. Not sure it thats a good price or not. Good luck.

Machine scrap yard in Seattle

The question was asked a couple of years ago but I think it is worth providing an updated reply because the availability of metal and scrap has declined so much since then.

I, first of all, refer you to the seattle_metalheads@***********.com. These folks frequently discuss sources of material and machinery and share their experiences in buying. I happen to be looking at a posting dated 9/10/08 which is a pretty good list covering towns near Seattle.

You can also contact Bob Powell, ([email protected]), and ask if he will send you a copy of "Bob's Seattle-area Metalworking/Woodworking Links Page" He lists the major material and machine sources in the Seattle area and documents those which have shut down. Not so many left now.
    Leonard

Update

Bob Powell's email must have changed over the years. Anyone have his latest email address? Looking for small quantities of 8020 in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Thanks

Jerre

Found the Site for Seattle Area

For those interested, here is Bob Powell's site with the updated list of suppliers. ww w . dogpatch . com /bobp/bobfaq.htm#seattle Just delete the spaces to make it into a link.

Jerre

Just a note: Boeing Surplus closed a little about a year ago. Pacific Iron sells Alum. for $1.60 per pound, plate or extruded. My last purchase at Pacific Iron was about three months ago.

This has been an old post for sometime now. I live in the area, is the supplier list still relevant?

I'm going to be left with a few extra thk bearings. Was thinking of holding onto them just in case but will let them go for the right price. There are HSR30R, I have 4 extras and are brand new, zero miles.