585,743 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

just purchased new tl-3

just purchased new tl-3 6 to 8 weeks delivery

Whatever you do, don't think about the possibility of the machine being damaged by a forklift 'whoopsie' right on your doorstep!
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

TL-2 arrived on Friday

I just had a TL-2 arrive yesterday. Our first Haas and our first cnc lathe. I have to wait for the serviceman to power and level it up on Monday. If it performs as well as it looks I think I made a good choice. I need to start making chips ASAP. From looking at the manual it looks fairly simple to program. I need to make a thread that has a tapered depth of cut, is that something I can program on the conversational. Also when I exit the thread I don't want to cut a groove all of the way around the part? Sorry for my ignorance but I have only used cnc milling machines and manual lathe's, any help is welcome.

Haas was a good choice. Your threading application should be a piece of cake. G76 (F, I, K Z)for straight or tapered threads. G32 (F, U, W,X, Z) for variable diameter threads, in other words, you can thread around a Coke bottle.

Exiting a thread smoothly without a groove can be done in setting 95 and 96.

Question

Thanks highspeedmike, I will let you know how it turns out. I was wondering if there is a programmable limit in the machine that I can set so if someone is using the lathe in manual or cnc mode they will not be able to run the toolpost into the lathe chuck?

Yes I believe the TL's have limits that you can set just about anywhere.
    I haven't run a haas lathe yet but we had a bridgeport where I went to school, and we could set limits so we didn't run into the jaws.

Although if you haven't machined within ten thou of the chuck jaws, you haven't lived yet! Did that once on a turning center and man they just start whistling when you get that close.

JP

I would buy a HAAS TL series all over again. My TL-1 has been very reliable and accurate.
    The TL has "soft stops" that you can program from the conversational programming section. But this only works in manual mode AFAIK. In CNC mode it will go wherever you program it to go, unless of course you program something that will cause overtravel and you'll get a alarm.

100, If you don't already know; When you go CNC get a firm grip on the coordinate system of the machine. Understand how it determines the programmed position and how tool offsets and work coodinates effect this programmed position. Setting the rapid override to a low setting 5% or 25% will take the fear factor out if working close to the chuck and proving out the first program. Use the graphic mode, it will show the toolpath without actual running the machine.

I got a TL-2 that I love so much!

For my part, I don't think it have a limit to protect tool and spindle to get in touch together. Since you can bore part that goes IN the chuck, an eventual limit would cause problem. Just run every first shot program with 5% or 25% of the rapid override as Dean said.
    Just to let you know of some problem with the controler, sometimes during a canned cycle program, the lathe may stop any motion for some seconds. Don't worry about it, it will continue is program. It a little glitch in the control that will be solve in sotfware versions past 6.09N. I have found some other problems with the controller but just some little bug, Haas as been inform of them.

Dean : For my part, I didn't have the softstart. What version of the software do you have Dean? Maybe it's just on the TL-1

Qualitytool : You have made a good choice with an Haas!

My TL-1 has version 5.07 firmware.