584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deciding the 5 axis CAM

Hello...

I'm slowly approaching to the end of 5 axis build. It's a big machine for cutting foam and wood to be used as positive for mold's. As I don't have any 3D CAM I look for suggestions what is worth to buy. As usually I need something not overpriced. I know that 5 axis simultaneous will do all the job I need. But maybe the 3+2 is actually all I needed. I don't really know how the 3+2 works in CAM world.
    I imagine if I have cube to machine I can set BC to have tool straight down, and then using just XYZ I can machine the top surface. Now If I align BC to point to the right direction I can machine left face of cube only using XYZ. Same can be done for right, rear and bottom face (well somewhere fixture is)

Now I don't know if 3+2 CAM is capable to tilt BC head at 45 degrees (or any other angle) and do chamfer for example. I imagine that it's possible as just XYZ is need to move.

Some more ideas?
    Some 'cheap' software suggestion?

... machine is LinuxCNC powered.

Slavko.

I would look in to BobCAD. They added full 4th and 5th axis packages as options in their latest revision, V25. The prices on their site are "flexible", so you won't be paying what is posted there. Even at those prices, it is less than just about anything else out there, though. If you do contact them, just a "burner" phone number, though. For some reason they still think being WAY aggressive on phone sales is a good thing : ( You can call them when you want, don't have them calling you whenever THEY want, as it will be OFTEN!

SprutCAM would be another option at the lower price point.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Any cam of 3+2 can tilt any of the axis, and then machine with 3 axis.
    Thats what they are for.

For about 600-3000 you get full 5 axis with rhino and madcam.
    No p. interest, not a user, just an option.

Few days ago I downloaded demo of BobCad and few hours later I got phone call from them
    .. and mail with price list....
    It's still expensive for me but at least not too expensive.
    When machine will be finished, there will be time to check budget. The leftover is for CAM. Hopefully enought. So looking for cheaper one.
    And can someone explain thr real difference betwen continous and indexing (aka 3+2) mode. I try to figure out if the cheaper 3+2 is option. As far I know if I use ball cutter there are no difference in result from both. But with flat cutter can be.? or not?

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    For about 600-3000 you get full 5 axis with rhino and madcam.
    No p. interest, not a user, just an option.
    Where are that $600 package???
    I found price just for madCAM and its near $2500. But need the rhino too.
    Even $3000 is good but as I see this price is for 3 axis and not 5.

You can easily get to half off the list price...

I don't have any experience running 5 axis code, but I have to imagine simultaneous will be faster and cleaner to run than 3+2. I would not go "half way" at this point. Maybe a few years ago, but the prices are so much more affordable now. Why waste money on 3+2 if there is any chance you will want to do simultaneous - ever...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

ya right rhinocams preimum package with full simul 5 axis is 10 k, the positional is almost half that
    CHOCLATE? THIS IS DOODOO BABY!