585,778 active members*
4,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Machine tool warehouse MD001
Page 1 of 2 12

Machine tool warehouse MD001

Hello Im new here and have just purchased a MD001 IH clone from MTW and it is ready to be shipped, my first question - is it normal for them to email me asking for my Social Security Number before shipping. Seems strange to me.....

Thanks Stan

P.S- i will post here the progess of the cnc conversion.

yeah, that's pretty wierd.

Phone number and address should be all they need.

I know right..... Im going to call them. Have you bought from them? Has anyone here had that request?

There is absolutely no reason they need your SSN to purchase a mill unless they are financing it for you. If buying outright with a check, or using your own credit card then there is no reason for them to have it. Just like when Harbor freight asked me the other day for my telephone number when I was paying cash. No reason they need it so they didn't get it. These days you need to be very careful about your personal information. I have 2 friends that have had their identities stolen and it has cost them thousands of dollars fighting all the stuff that came about from it.

Keep us posted on the mill. I for one am always interested in seeing other peoples projects.

I talked to Pat a little while ago and he said it was for the "customs paperwork", maybe but I have ordered lots of things that have had to come through customs from overseas and never have had to give this info. He was very nice about it and said no problem and that he will ship it monday but he felt customs may give me a call.

SSN is needed for the customs paper work. I had to do the same thing when I bought my Novakon mill

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ishouldbefishn

The last 4 is the max you should be giving them, if they need anymore than that, buy from someone else
    Mactec54

The US customs office has no right to request your ssn.
    Neither does the IRS.
    But like many, many government agencies, they institute invasive, illegal policies and 99% of the people just go along.
    When someone questions them about it, the person you are talking to probably truly does believe that they are following the rules and you are not.
    Either way, they know that you're making things difficult for them, so guess what. ..

They are darn sure to make things difficult for you.

"What package? Must have accidentally been rerouted."

It's simple enough to get a definitive answer, rather than a bunch of opinions:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Customs+SSN

There you'll find:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...irs-number-%2F

Pretty sure Customs and Border Patrol knows the rules.

Bottom line: Give them your SSN or EIN, or no shipment.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Should have checked but was not aware that Machine Tool Warehouse was a Canadian company. Importing you would need to provide SSN for customs, unless the price is below a certain threshold. Not sure what a MD001 costs or what the threshold is, but if there is a way of not having to provide personal information, I would find it.

Stan, I am also waiting for my MD001.
    So far Pat has only asked if I wanted a separate 3 phase motor since the factory did not properly configure my machine.

I am presently looking for some plans or ideas for a full flood enclosure. What are you planning for yours?

Oh, with liftgate shipping to outside Austin, TX and a 3 phase motor my cost is a few dollars under 3200 US.

Paul

Viper,

I am still very new to this so I really have not made up any plans, Im still looking at the ballscrews and servo mounts. As for the enclosure im thinking a metal drain pan and removable plexiglass sides.

Stan

So my wife text me and said the beast has arrived!!!! Now to start the new shopping list. I will most likely build a stand for it first. I see how a lot of members in here seem to actually build cnc machines almost as their hobby, I want to stay away from that as much as possible as I have too many hobbies as it is! I want to build this as simple and reliable as I can, I'm not into setting any records with it I just want a workhorse that I can use to build things for my other hobbies. With that said I have seen that the DMM tech kits seem to be a good choice from what I have read here. I don't want to go direct drive on the ball screws but I'm not sure if I should choose the 400w or 750w servos. It doesn't seem to be a big difference in price, but if what I think I'm reading is that you lose speed and gain torque with the larger servos and vice versa, is this correct? Go easy on me I very new to the CNC world.....

Thanks in advance,

Stan

Ishouldbefishing
    With that said I have seen that the DMM tech kits seem to be a good choice from what I have read here. I don't want to go direct drive on the ball screws but I'm not sure if I should choose the 400w or 750w servos. It doesn't seem to be a big difference in price, but if what I think I'm reading is that you lose speed and gain torque with the larger servos and vice versa, is this correct? Go easy on me I very new to the CNC world.....

With the 400W on the low voltage Dyna2 Drive DC- 48V you have Rated/Max 3,000 RPM Rated Torque 1.28 Max 3.6

With the 750W motor on the low voltage Dyna2 Drives DC- 48V you have Rated 1000 RPM Max 1050 RPM Rated Torque 2.9 Max 7.2 (The only difference is the input/Drive voltage that makes the RPM change )

With 750W motor on the high voltage Dyna3 Drive single phase or 3 phase AC 110/220V You have rated 3000 RPM Max 6000 RPM Rated Torque 2.9 Max 7.2, Being used on Dyna3 with single phase the RPM is 3000/3500

The ( 2 ) 750W motors are the same, just being used on a different drive

So if you had the 400W Servo Motor for the X & Y axes with a 2:1 ratio, this would give you 1500 RPM
    A 750W for the Z axes it should be a good fit for your machine
    Mactec54

If you need some idea's I tried to document everything used in my build thread.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...e_-_md001.html
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Stan, did Pat send you any information regarding how your system was shipped.

I only received an email after entering several trouble tickets indicating that my MD001 was shipped on Monday.

I'm in Texas, where are you at?

Kelly, I've got you 'bookmarked"...nice work....also Arizona Video.

I'm waiting for the system to arrive before ordering the material for my stand.

Paul

Thanks mactec54! I was thinking about the 400w for the table and the bigger 750 for the head so that helps me a lot.

Kregan i have read over or thread before and it looks really good! Are you happy with the servo choice you made or would you up the size if you could do it again?

Vipertx, I m in California andI didn't get any notice from Pat as far as tracking goes. You should receive a phone call from a local company in your area to make the delivery appointment, so if you get a strange number on you caller ID answer the phone!!!....lol

There is fully no reason they have your SSN to get a mill unless they're funding it for you. If shopping for outright with a check, or victimisation your own mastercard then there's no reason for them to possess it. rather like once Harbor freight asked Maine the opposite day for my signaling once I was paying money. No reason they have it so that they did not twig. of late you wish to be terribly careful concerning your personal data. I even have a pair of friends that have had their identities taken and it's value them thousands of bucks fighting all the things that took place from it.

Keep North American nation announce on the mill. I for one am continuously inquisitive about seeing different peoples comes.Verified shaper, shaping machine, all geared shaping machine, cone pully type shaping machine Manufacturers & Suppliers from India. Browse shaper, shaper machine manufacturer , all geared shaping machine, cone pully type shaping machine Exporters & Traders from the complete online

Ok I know it's been a while with the other 100 projects I have but I'm back at it! I got a quote for the servo kit from DMM and like what I see, they are very helpful by the way. Right now I'm building the stand and it probably overkill but the legs are 4x4 and supports are 2x4 steel tube. I purchased 1000lb casters for each leg and will add pictures. My thoughts are to add sand into the legs and supports for more weight, does that sound like a good or bad idea? Thanks guys!

Stan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140212_185633.jpg  

Haha, that stand looks a bit on the light side. Just kidding. The one you get with the machine looks to be about 10GA sheet metal with a bit of reinforcement. Good big or go home I say. Not sure what effect the sand inside the legs will have. If you are putting castors on, are you going to have some way of lifting it off the castors when in use? Looking good anyways...

Page 1 of 2 12