585,722 active members*
4,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trim and extend?

I have been working with 20.6 now for about a week and can't seem to get trim and extend to consistently do the same thing, let alone what I want it to do! How could it be so easy and predictable in v16 and so frustriating in 20.6? I noticed right off that in the viedo on trim and extend it dosen't look predictable either.... what gives? Has anyone ever figured it out? Thanks, Steve

trim and extend will work fine it all in the way you select the line you are working with and if you are tring to trim or extend just play with it a bit and in no time it will become second nature to you as alway with any software wither it be new or an upgrade the learning curve can be quite mind blowing

Thanks Lakeside for the reply. I did one drawing the other day that the t&e function would not recognise(sp?) the line at all. I drew a new line next to it and no problem but could not click on that set and do anything! Finaly redrew the part in v16, inported it to v20.6 and had no more problems. Must be a ghost gremlin! Thanks Steve

Next time that happen go to NC verify you may have been on a difference z plane

if the workplanes are not identical it will not work.

I guess I have'nt figured out what workplanes are yet!! (chair)

what we mean by a plane is in a 2d drawing all x an y are one the same z zreo if you have a line that goes x-1.5 to x1.5 z.o and a line that goes y-1.5 to y1.5 z.001 they are on a difernce z plane and you can not trim or extend the line but if you had a line that went z-1.0 to z-.001 at x0 and a line that went from x-1.5 to x1.5 you could extend the first line to the second hope this helps

Yes, basically two lines can not be trimmed or extended to each other unless they will actually cross each others path. If they are on different levels (Z when X,Y workplane) then they can not touch each other so Bobcad can not make them do that. This is the only time I have found Bobcad unable to trim and extend lines.

When drawing lines for a 2D view make sure you have the same value in your Z each time. (that is if drawng in the x,y workplane)

Yes.... That makes sense! Thank you all for the replys, Steve