585,926 active members*
3,601 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

turntable for welding

i tried google and no luck finding how to build a turntable for welding.. im considering doing that.. and if i use a rotary table (with variable power supply) thats normally used for mill or stuff liket hat.. was wondering if its possible to have it stop after one full revolution... stop the welding and turning the table.. or just stop the welding thats all would be perfect.. any suggestion on how? i was thinkin of a normal switch or something with a thing sticking out to turn it on and off.. anyone got better idea?

It depends on how precise control you need and how much automation?
    If you are welding manually then often a foot switch is used, if you want it automatic then it is usually simple to control the table and welding start/stop.
    If you want the kind of automation where you load a part and press a button, then the start and stop position is usually a precise control, i.e. servo/stepper etc.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

i think ill do manual to make it bit more simple.. will have arm to place the welding gun and a on and off switch for the welding for my hand instead.. and use this setup..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:B:AAQ:US:1

Yes, use a limit switch.....that stops the table and welder.....

why didnt i think of that.. not bad idea.. have to make it shut off at perfectly 360 degree that would be bit tough i think so the weld bead would be perfect all way around

Dan, Did you ever construct a welding turntable?
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

This might give you some ideas?

http://www.cncathome.com/indexer.html

If you setup similar to the above link, you could use Mach3 to index, also the code would be less than 250 lines (A-axis only) so you could do this with the trial version of Mach3.

Just need a stepper, driver, power supply, etc...

We are talking Mig?
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    This might give you some ideas?

http://www.cncathome.com/indexer.html

If you setup similar to the above link, you could use Mach3 to index, also the code would be less than 250 lines (A-axis only) so you could do this with the trial version of Mach3.

Just need a stepper, driver, power supply, etc...

We are talking Mig?
    Switcher,

I don't have enough use for one to build an actual CNC welding turntable.

I have a home made positioner with both horizontal & vertical axis.
    It's amazing how nice the welds turn out even with holding the MIG torch by hand & rest.

Thanks for the reply. I was merely curious if Dan had built one.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

i have purchased all parts and tested it without welding (havent got a use to use it for welding yet..

what i did was bought a rotary table and variable power supply wtih a on off switch

its sitting somewhere in my shop right now..

was going to weld bunch of rims for beadlocks and few other stuff but never got to do them yet..