585,925 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Any Small Iron Foundries?

Any Small Iron Foundries?

I'm looking for a small iron foundry to cast small lots (1-5 pieces) of machine components. Probably won't exceed 50 lbs.

We're in the Milwaukee, WI area and would prefer somewhat local supplier. The reason for this is for communication and pickup and delivery convenience.

Would require castings stress relieved.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

If you find one, let me know. I'm looking for someone to cast about 10 parts.

I have a small foundry and specialize in short run work. We are in southwest lower Michigan, 4 hours from Milwaukee. We cast gray and ductile iron from a few pounds to 450#. 269-646-0202 M-F
    Andrew Abrams
    Marcellus Metalcasters, Inc.

Same question but I'm in NYC. Looking for foundries to do 1-10 parts iron and aluminum depending on the project.

Try looking in Thomasnet for your area. ThomasNet® - Product Sourcing and Supplier Discovery Platform

I called a few places a while back with no interest in small jobs. I'm looking for a foundries that are seeking out that kind of work.

Quote Originally Posted by will gilmore View Post
    I called a few places a while back with no interest in small jobs. I'm looking for a foundries that are seeking out that kind of work.
    I'm still around, and there are not many of us left.

I have a small foundry and specialize in short run work. We are in southwest lower Michigan.We cast gray and ductile iron from a few pounds to 450#. 269-646-0202 M-F

Thanks for hanging in there, and posting your info. I added you to my supplier list.

Hey Andrew,
    Here is a potential project. I'm posting here so everyone can learn something. If you want to contact me privately please PM me. Its a cast lathe bed to carry linear ways and a self contained headstock like the Dunham 50M. It's about 34" long. The mounting surfaces would be milled or ground in one setup.

Questions:
    Do you do this type of work?
    Roughly how much would this cost to cast? $50, $500, $5000?
    Should I make my own pattern or do you do it in house?
    Assuming I make my own pattern are you willing to offer advice? (Draft angles, shrinkage, ribbing, overall design improvements, etc)

Best,

Will

Do you do this type of work? yes
    Roughly how much would this cost to cast? $50, $500, $5000?
    depends upon weight cast: if it weighs 100# around $450, 250# around$550 and 400# $890.

Should I make my own pattern or do you do it in house?
    I have a pattern maker close by that I refer almost all of my pattern work to.We do repairs and gating in house. I do have customers that make their own patterns. Some are better than others. A one off pattern could be made from pink or blue foam insulation and get you your casting, but you need to make another pattern every time you need another casting. with this process draft angles are not at all critical, but the castings are hardly ever as nice looking as when a wood, plastic or metal pattern is used. But with a wood pattern there must be draft so that the pattern can be removed from very solid sand. Minimum of 2 degrees draft angle.Surface finish of the pattern translates to the surface finish of the casting. The better the pattern the nicer and more dimensionally accurate the casting will be.
    Assuming I make my own pattern are you willing to offer advice? (Draft angles, shrinkage, ribbing, overall design improvements, etc, yes I can and will.
    Andrew Abrams

Thanks for the reply. With a 1/2" wall thickness and no ribs my CAD software says its about 40 kilograms (88lbs). I have a lot on my plate right now but hope to get to this soon.

Hey Andrew, could explain what you mean by draft? Here is a pic of what I am trying to get made its a milling table 24"x6"x 1 1/2" probably comes in at 35 lbs max

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Would a wood or foam pattern be good for this type? I can do either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_%28engineering%29

Draft is the angle that allows the pattern to be removed from the sand to create the cavity for the liquid metal to be poured into.

I'll let a pro talk about the tslots but they probably either need need to be machined afterwards, use a core, or a two part pattern.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_%28manufacturing%29

Quote Originally Posted by metalcaster4jc View Post
    I have a small foundry and specialize in short run work. We are in southwest lower Michigan, 4 hours from Milwaukee. We cast gray and ductile iron from a few pounds to 450#. 269-646-0202 M-F
    Andrew, do you do other metals as well (aluminum, specifically)? And if so, what grades? Can you heat treat after casting?
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I cast the tables for Wells Index machines, it weighs in over 400#. The T slots are machined into the iron. The description of draft on the previous reply is spot on.
    Andrew Abrams

I do not cast aluminum, it seems one can't swing a dead cat without hitting a small aluminum foundry in someone's garage. Tough to compete in that market for a guy who has been in iron 30 years. I do have a non ferrous guy I refer work to 30 minutes away though. Biermas Brass and Aluminum. Todd Biermas, 269-492-2579, [email protected]. Does good work.

As for post casting heat treat, I sub that out to local heat treat companies. No capital investment needed and there are enough variable in the casting process that can keep one busy, no need to throw another process in when used only on 30% of the parts shipped.
    Andrew Abrams

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    Hey Andrew, could explain what you mean by draft? Here is a pic of what I am trying to get made its a milling table 24"x6"x 1 1/2" probably comes in at 35 lbs max

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Would a wood or foam pattern be good for this type? I can do either.
    I would think that a wood pattern would get better dimensional stability. foam will flex and you will need to add machine stock to get it to clean up. Cast the slots solid, add 1/8" minimum to the top surface and make the gibs nearly perpendicular to the bottom. Your pattern will be a slab for the top and preferably another slab for the underside. use wood dowel pins to join them together. You might want to consider casting in some bosses for your bearings or lead screws while you are at it?
    Andrew Abrams

Same question but does anyone cast gray in New Jersey.