585,662 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Communicating CAM to Fadal

Angry Communicating CAM to Fadal

I have master cam 9.1 and I have a 1999 Fadal VMC and while reorganizing my shop, the cable used to communicate the two was lost. I bought an adapter to go from parallel on the back of my machine to serial and then ran a serial cable to the computer with master cam on it. now I cannot send files to the Fadal anymore. As far as I can see the baud rate and all other settings are the same, but it just doesn't send any files. Master cam said they will not support me but the only suggestion they could give was to make sure my computer recognized the adapter.

Ahhh. Fun with RS232...

First, Why did you need an adapter? Was there a reason you didn't just get another cable like the one that was lost?
    Tim

I'm going to second what mastercam said.
    Tim

Fadal lines are not parallel on the cable so Fadal made this adapter for twisting the lines in the right order.

I would call Shop Floor Automations | DNC, CNC, Predator Software, Wireless, OEEShop Floor Automations | DNC Software Communications & Machine Monitoring and order a cable with one end connector for Fadal and ether the 32 or 15 pin male or femail you need on the other end and be done.

I carry one of this cable system in my bag when going into shops so I can connect with and controller I want by just changing the ends for the controller.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Fadal lines are not parallel on the cable so Fadal made this adapter for twisting the lines in the right order.

I would call Shop Floor Automations | DNC, CNC, Predator Software, Wireless, OEEShop Floor Automations | DNC Software Communications & Machine Monitoring and order a cable with one end connector for Fadal and ether the 32 or 15 pin male or femail you need on the other end and be done.

I carry one of this cable system in my bag when going into shops so I can connect with and controller I want by just changing the ends for the controller.
    Oh man that is right...I forgot about that. One more negative for fadal...no wonder they went bye bye...
    Tim

It's been a while since I've played with a Fadal, but the last one I had was a 2000 model. I used a cable I got at Radio Shack that was 25 pin on one end and 9 pin on the other end with a null modem attached on the end of that. I still have that cable. I don't remember if I used Mastercam for communications with it ever, but I know I did use Fadal Assist. Which I still have a copy of.

This is the pinout for communication cable I have for the Fadal.

9 PIN

#2 RED

#3 WHITE

#5 GREEN

#7 & #8 JUMPER

#1 & #4 & #6 JUMPER

29 PIN

#2 RED

#3 WHITE

#7 GREEN

#4 & #5 JUMP

#6 & #8 & #20 JUMP