585,942 active members*
3,345 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Laser cut not square but divergent on all sides of cut piece

Laser cut not square but divergent on all sides of cut piece

Dear all,

Trying to cut 6mm plywood i notice the following symptoms:

1) I need to use high power (150W - 180W laser tube at 80%) and low speed (15%) to be able to cut it.
    2) The edges of the piece cut are divergent. With this i mean that if i turn the piece arround, the back side looks like scaled up.

I understand by my research that when the laser does not hit the focus lens in the middle the sides of the cut will not be square, but in that case they are all sided to the same direction, and this is not the case.

I have got a meniscus focus lens with f = 2.5' and a laser bean diameter of aprox D = 9.5 mm at the focal lens.

My guess is that with that f and D, the Depth of Focus is too narrow (acording to my research it would be arround DOF = 1.8 mm, and that would be the maximun depth I could get a square cut on any material.

To solve my problem i found two possible solutions, and here is where any advise would be very much appreciated:

1 - Change the focus lens for another one of a larger f value. According to my own calculations, that would be f = 7.5' to get with my current D to a DOF of arround 10 mm; that is my depth target with a square cut.

2 - Buy a beam expander, in my case to reduce D, so as to get a larger DOF. I estimated if I could reduce D to half of it's current value, with a 3.5' focus lens I would reach arround 9 mm of DOF.

Option number 1 seems to be impossible for me, as my head can not go as up as needed to make focus, so I have to make the desition of buying the beam expander or not.

Ok, finally here are my questions:

a) Does the above reasoning (besides the numbers in calculations) sounds logical to you?

b) Does anybody have any experiense with beam expanders?

c) If that is what I need, any idea of where to buy them?

Thank you for your time,
    cheers!

Luis

Can we have a picture?

If the angle on the sides is /---\ (like a pyramid with the top cut off) this may mean problem with focus / depth of field.
    If the angle on the sides is \--\ the laser beam is not hitting directly perpendicular to the lens (the mirror that sends the laser down through the lens is not aligned properly)
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Attachment 195302
    Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Can we have a picture?

If the angle on the sides is /---\ (like a pyramid with the top cut off) this may mean problem with focus / depth of field.
    If the angle on the sides is \--\ the laser beam is not hitting directly perpendicular to the lens (the mirror that sends the laser down through the lens is not aligned properly)
    Yes, in my case it seems to me I am on the pyramid scenario. (/---\ )

Here are the pictures:

CUTCNC Guest
    Hi Luis, I think the low power laser will always have that problem, high power laser more than 1000w will better, but it is rather expensive, maybe you show consider the milling cut method. Please know more about it in below link: Steel rule die board router machine
    Attachment 196546 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc527817-steel_rule_die_mold_board_making_machine.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	196548

Use a 4" FL lens on thick material, works good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin View Post
    Use a 4" FL lens on thick material, works good for me.
    Thank you Paul, I am on the process of doing that.

Regards,
    Luis

2 - Buy a beam expander, in my case to reduce D, so as to get a larger DOF. I estimated if I could reduce D to half of it's current value, with a 3.5' focus lens I would reach arround 9 mm of DOF.
    Beam expanders make the final spot smaller not bigger, they will reduce the DOF by making D input bigger. If you try to fit them the opposite way round (assuming you have ARC both sides) you stand a good chance of blowing up mirrors due to the big increase in PD.
    Beam profilers may help as will reflective phase retarding mirrors but as Paul said, longer focal length lens are easier and less expensive

cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Beam expanders make the final spot smaller not bigger, they will reduce the DOF by making D input bigger. If you try to fit them the opposite way round (assuming you have ARC both sides) you stand a good chance of blowing up mirrors due to the big increase in PD.
    Beam profilers may help as will reflective phase retarding mirrors but as Paul said, longer focal length lens are easier and less expensive

cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave. What you explain sounds very logical to me. Maybe i have over reacted with my research and ideas ;-) . I have already calmed down and ordered longer focal length lenses.

cheers!
    Luis

It looks like you have some nasty burning on the sides. If you have ppi, I suggest you use it. I can cut through 1/2" poplar or oak without severely burning the sides with an 80w reci tube. They get brown but not turned to charcoal.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver