584,854 active members*
4,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach Mill > How do I add a 10 seconds delay after starting the spindle
Page 1 of 2 12

How do I add a 10 seconds delay after starting the spindle

The spindle takes as much as 10 seconds to come up to speed.

Does anyone know the Gcode needed to make the machine wait for 10 or more seconds to givw the spindle time to reach the target RPM?

JA

Your code should have a p value at the beginning after an m03 command, set it to 10.
    Or add a G04 p10 in the line after the M03

Better yet tune your vfd to spin up faster

What cam are you using?

Sent from tapatalk

Or better yet, go to Ports and Pins > Spindle Tab, and set a 10 second spindle spin up delay.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am using MeshCAM. I could change the setup template for Mach3 and add the G4 statement there.
    I would prefer to do that because I can more easily document (for others) what I did - right in the Gcode file.

I would also like to improve this delay by having a pop-up info box with instructions to adjust the spindle speed then press OK to continue. I don't know if that is possible.

The ShopBot that I used at TechShop Detroit uses it own language instead of Gcode. They added a PAUSE command and the ability to create a pop-up info box.

Now I have an Industrial CNC machine which is straight Gcode and don't know how to get the ShopBot features.

As for the spindle spin-up rate, I don't seem to have the ability to change that. That is one of the deficiencies of the ICNC machine. I'll be posting another thread asking how to connect Mach3 to the FVController so that I can program the spindel speed that I want in the Gcode.

Till then, I need to put up instructions on how to manually set the speed and wait for it to reach the target RPM, or in this case the target frequency.

Thanks for the G4 info. I'll start there.

Let me know if you have any ideas on the pop-up info box idea.

JA

Is this a VFD spindle?
    There should be a way to set one of the VFD outputs for up-to-speed signal, whenever a M3/M4 is issued, it waits for the up to speed signal input, this is how it is done on commercial machines.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

"Is this a VFD spindle?

Yes, it is a Variable Frequency inverter driving the spindle. I'll have to get the make and model and will post it in the related post early next week.

reference
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/machin...04_contol.html

"There should be a way to set one of the VFD outputs for up-to-speed signal, whenever a M3/M4 is issued, it waits for the up to speed signal input, this is how it is done on commercial machines.

This is a 'so called' commercial machine.
    The problem is that I have no manual for the controller and it is like pulling teeth from a live alligator to get any useful information out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by checkers1811 View Post
    The problem is that I have no manual for the controller and it is like pulling teeth from a live alligator to get any useful information out of them.
    Very unusual if they don't have a manual or at least one one on line, did you get it used? As normally you would have had one with it?
    You would need one to hook it up and configure parameters?
    Al.

Albert E.

Al,

No documentation of sufficient detail. As I said, it is like pulling teeth from ... CNC Routers | Industrial CNC Routers | Afforadable CNC Routers | Intergrated CNC Routers | Router Systems

I really question their claim to a commercial machine. Any other machine that I purchase or ordered new had a complete documentation package for the maintenance department. This company is very far behind the curve in this.

JA

If you can get the make/model of it, it may help.
    Al.

Albert E.

Easy peasy as they say.... click on Config and choose Ports & Pins then under the Spindle Set Up tab you will see General Parameters. You can enter how many seconds you want the delay. I have mine set at cw down and 12 secs and works great.

The advantage of the VFD Up to speed is, if for some reason the spindle does not start, there is no damage to work or tool.
    Al.

Albert E.

Question Re: How do I add a 10 seconds delay after starting the spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Is this a VFD spindle?
    There should be a way to set one of the VFD outputs for up-to-speed signal, whenever a M3/M4 is issued, it waits for the up to speed signal input, this is how it is done on commercial machines.
    Al.
    Sorry to resurrect an old sleeping thread but I can't find anything on how to implement this 'wait for spindle up to speed' feature.

Is this a Mach3 feature I haven't run across yet?

Or after hooking up a signal wire from the VFD to a CNC controller input do I have to manually code a custom M3.m1s macro? Or perchance is there an example macro laying around somewhere that someone could share?

Quote Originally Posted by checkers1811 View Post
    The spindle takes as much as 10 seconds to come up to speed.

Does anyone know the Gcode needed to make the machine wait for 10 or more seconds to givw the spindle time to reach the target RPM?

JA
    I’m having a similar issue with my sml 12, we can’t figure why it has as minute 45 delay before starting any program ideas?

Re: How do I add a 10 seconds delay after starting the spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe_G View Post
    I’m having a similar issue with my sml 12, we can’t figure why it has as minute 45 delay before starting any program ideas?
    Try playing with the spindle 'delay spin up/down' options on the spindle setup page.
    Mine is set for 10 seconds on CW and CCW spin up, 8 secs for spin down.

So mine:
    Machine is at home pos>
    load gcode>
    Start g-code>
    moves x,y to start pos>
    moves Z to 30mm (my safe pos)>
    sits there while it spins up for 10 secs>
    Z down to feed height>
    cool-on>
    starts cutting via code.

So the delay setting works for me.

Yours could be set for 105 secs.

Quote Originally Posted by dwg123 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old sleeping thread but I can't find anything on how to implement this 'wait for spindle up to speed' feature.

Is this a Mach3 feature I haven't run across yet?

Or after hooking up a signal wire from the VFD to a CNC controller input do I have to manually code a custom M3.m1s macro? Or perchance is there an example macro laying around somewhere that someone could share?
    This is for Mach3 If you open Ports & Pins, then Spindle setup tab, you will see General Parameters, look for Delay Spin up adjust to what you need.

What VFD Drive do you have, as you may be able to adjust the VFD Drive also, to have much less spin up time.

VFD Drive and spindle motor specs. Power supply 120v or 240v???
    Mactec54

Speaking of spindle delay, Mach3 has one nasty "feature". If you accidentally click the Cycle Start button while the spindle is spinning up, it will skip the countdown and continue running the program.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Speaking of spindle delay, Mach3 has one nasty "feature". If you accidentally click the Cycle Start button while the spindle is spinning up, it will skip the countdown and continue running the program.
    That is normal it is not a nasty feature, if you are in auto mode press start and then press start again it will bypass the wait time, this is by design.

This is how it works also when it sees a tool change, you can have it stop at each tool change, and press start again to set it running.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    That is normal it is not a nasty feature
    It sure is nasty when the cutter tries to plunge while rotating at half speed. Spindle spool up time should always be respected. It's there for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    It sure is nasty when the cutter tries to plunge while rotating at half speed. Spindle spool up time should always be respected. It's there for a good reason.
    The normal spindle up to speed time is between 1.5 and 3 seconds, if it has been setup correctly, so if you press the Cycle Start twice in that time, it is an operator problem not the control problems, it is only doing what you are telling it to do.

No one can prevent an operator from doing whatever they want, would you go and grab the cutter to see if it was up to speed, once you press cycle start you should not need your hands anywhere near the control.

You did bring up a good point though that any action by the operator, can change what the machine does and ruin your day.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    if you press the Cycle Start twice in that time, it is an operator problem not the control problems, it is only doing what you are telling it to do.
    Double-clicking the Start button accidentally is something that can (and does) happen. It can be an operator error, it can be a mouse malfunction, but it is always unintended. There is no reasonable scenario for the operator to intentionally skip the spindle spool-up. So the controller should now allow that to happen.

Remember good old cars with 5-speed manual transmission? They had a blocking mechanism that prevented you from accidentally shifting from "5" to "R".

Page 1 of 2 12