584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Esprit > ZC Interpolation in Esprit?

ZC Interpolation in Esprit?

Programming a ZC helical interpolation in Esprit, and it is wanting to program hundreds of blocks as it mills around the helix? Average Z move is a couple thou at a time.

Is there a setting, or different type of interpolation that wont do this? Could this be a problem with our cad model?

I don't have Esprit yet, just having a demo part programmed, and this is a huge program file. Programming injection feed screw.
    I program these screws on a 4 axis mill using Fanuc custom macros, but we are looking at a Mori NT, so the sample program is a lath setup.

I posted here instead of Esprit forum thinking more would see it.
    Jim

I can't tell step by step as I have no access to Esprit now but as much as I remember there was no direct way. I have 2 ideas :
    1.5 axis programming and restricting the movement on some of the axes.
    2.or a bit tricky method - create a tool path that just shows the trajectory of the tool tip that you want no matter how many axes you use. Then use Edit->Toolpath open the tool path and create a feature out of it. Once done use wrap contouring to create the final operation
    I hope it may help.

Thanks gunda, I will pass this along to my Esprit Tech. I dont currently have Esprit so...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesweed View Post
    Programming a ZC helical interpolation in Esprit, and it is wanting to program hundreds of blocks as it mills around the helix? Average Z move is a couple thou at a time.

Is there a setting, or different type of interpolation that wont do this? Could this be a problem with our cad model?

I don't have Esprit yet, just having a demo part programmed, and this is a huge program file. Programming injection feed screw.
    I program these screws on a 4 axis mill using Fanuc custom macros, but we are looking at a Mori NT, so the sample program is a lath setup.

I posted here instead of Esprit forum thinking more would see it.
    Jim
    you have to make sure that you have wrap feature turned on, wrap lead in move and lead out move set to yes and move type set to radial tool axis then you can turn on cylindrical interpolation... with the post set for rotary arcs and such, it should clean up your code.