585,877 active members*
3,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Configure NCStudio for JX-6090 CNC router from China
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Configure NCStudio for JX-6090 CNC router from China

Dear all,

I am trying to help my neighbour configure his new JX-6090 CNC router he bought from jxcncrouter.com in China. I am an IT guy and have zero knowledge with CNC machine and software. I hope I can find some help here, we have contacted the manufactor with some questions but we have problems understanding eachother.

So to make a long story short, when I turn on the CNC router and open Ncstudio V5.4.53 the X-Y-Z axis move by themselves until they pass the limit switch and make a grinding noise. I then have to power off the CNC router.

I found a couple posts on this forum with people saying they had the same issue, but there was never a clear answer on how to configure the axis so they dont move automatically.

Does anyone know how to configure NCstudio to work correctly with a JX-6090 machine ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :drowning:

Thanks in advance,

Julien

Attachment 195340
    Attachment 195342

That's a bit weird, there is a calibrate button that doesn't do what you would think it does so maybe that's been hard enabled? But normally there's no way for the axis to move on their own without being issued a command by actually clicking on it. I can email you a copy of my config from my 6090 if you want tonight, and see how that one works?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for your reply. I would love to try your config and see how it goes. Do you need my email address to send it ?

We tried to use the calibrate button but once I clicked it, it never stopped doing whatever it started to do and we had to kill the task in Windows Task Manager. The three axis would keep moving automatically while the program was calibrating.

Thanks again and all the best.

Julien

Quote Originally Posted by julien123 View Post
    Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for your reply. I would love to try your config and see how it goes. Do you need my email address to send it ?

We tried to use the calibrate button but once I clicked it, it never stopped doing whatever it started to do and we had to kill the task in Windows Task Manager. The three axis would keep moving automatically while the program was calibrating.

Thanks again and all the best.

Julien

Hi Julien, if you can pm me your email, i'm just doing dinner atm, so will go out in under an hour and retrieve whatever settings/config I can and email it to you.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    Hi Julien, if you can pm me your email, i'm just doing dinner atm, so will go out in under an hour and retrieve whatever settings/config I can and email it to you.

cheers, Ian
    Hey Ian,

I tried to send it but I get the following error : aarggh has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

My email address is :

Thank you so much for your help !

Julien

Hey Ian,

I tried to send it but I get the following error : aarggh has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

My email address is : monney at gmail dot com

Thank you so much for your help !

Julien
    Aaargghhhh! This 20 message limit is just ridiculous! Considering they are stored as ASCII text the size is absolutely insignificant. One uploaded picture alone can be larger than many, many users total combined mailboxes!

Going outside to save files, I'll also take screenshots as well as that may hep too. Back shortly.

cheers, Ian

You should have several emails Julien, 3 with attachments, one I forgot to attach!

cheers, Ian

Dear Ian,

I received them. Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I will be on my way to my neighbour's house with the settings and we will give it a try. It is the beginning of the afternoon here in Switzerland, so I might get back to you tomorrow Australian time. ;-)

Thanks again, I will post later on to let you know what happens.

This is issue has been solved by installing NC Studio 5.5.60.0.

Thank you Ian for all your help, screenshots and kind assitance :-)

Cheers,

Julien

More than happy to help Julien! To further what was discussed, it's well worth having a look at the Vectric.com site, and check out the projects at the top right for great examples of what you can do. A little costly, but you couldn't find an easier program to use!

All the best mate! Don't hesitate if you need any further help.

cheers, Ian

it would worth to open a topic on ncstudio settings.. these minor issues causing loss of hair :-)

edit I found some doc on other post on the forum..
    but it still don't talk about how to set limitswitch working

More than happy to help Julien! To further what was discussed, it's well worth having a look at the Vectric.com site, and check out the projects at the top right for great examples of what you can do. A little costly, but you couldn't find an easier program to use!

All the best mate! Don't hesitate if you need any further help.

cheers, Ian

Thanks again Ian,

We were able to set everything right and the limits were working, no more error on the Z axis.

We used the Advanced MDI menu and did a test with the first rectangle shape and it worked perfectly at the center of the machine.

Then we clicked Move to Reference point in the Operation Menu instead of move to Workpiece Origin. We got an error in Chinese and nothing would work so I restarted NcStudio. Now the config is all messed up again and the limit stopper dont work anymore. I have re-installed the application but it doesn't help. At least the axis dont move by themselves anymore but it feels like I messed up something else ;-) Any idea on how I could "reset" the settings ? I tried to use your settings Ian but still no luck. Now when I use the MDI advanced menu it tries to move out of the limits and I have to stop the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    it would worth to open a topic on ncstudio settings.. these minor issues causing loss of hair :-)

edit I found some doc on other post on the forum..
    but it still don't talk about how to set limitswitch working

Thanks a lot Victor ! I will keep this in my folder for NCStudio, not an easy software to understand for me who never worked with CNC routers before ;-)

Cheers,

Julien

Thanks again Ian,

We were able to set everything right and the limits were working, no more error on the Z axis.

We used the Advanced MDI menu and did a test with the first rectangle shape and it worked perfectly at the center of the machine.

Then we clicked Move to Reference point in the Operation Menu instead of move to Workpiece Origin. We got an error in Chinese and nothing would work so I restarted NcStudio. Now the config is all messed up again and the limit stopper dont work anymore. I have re-installed the application but it doesn't help. At least the axis dont move by themselves anymore but it feels like I messed up something else ;-) Any idea on how I could "reset" the settings ? I tried to use your settings Ian but still no luck. Now when I use the MDI advanced menu it tries to move out of the limits and I have to stop the machine.
    I'll have to have a look at mine tomorrow after work, I'm not sure what the Advanced MDI Menu is, but the Move to Reference sounds awfully like the calibrate option which was just mental when I used it from the buttons (assuming I remember it correctly?). I do routinely use the option at the top, which should be equivalent to the "Move to Reference", where I manually (in mm) put in the X,Y and Z coords I want it to move to. I make it a habit to always look at the "JOG" screen while I do this to ensure I'm using - and + directions correctly. I use this a lot after finishing jobs to get the spindle to the rear on the left or right as I tend to do wood assembly on the cnc table.

It sounds to me like you may have tripped the limits, which from memory, with the machine powered up, you need to shut down NcStudio (not the PC), then start it, go to the Limit Switch settings, and either disable or toggle the ones that tripped. This should allow you to move the axis away from the limit switch, then again shut down NcStudio, start it again and swap the limit switch settings back!

I'll get back tomorrow when I can check my machine.

Going forward, I'd highly recommend manually jogging the spindle along one axis untill you trip the limit switch, then reset as discussed above so you can move it maybe 5mm back (5mm may sound small but it's plenty!), then set the coords for that axis to zero, and move it in the opposite direction till you trip the other limit switch. Reset the switch and move the axis back 5mm, then divide the travelled distance showing for that axis by half, put that number in the move to coords at the top, and hit enter. The spindle will now be in dead centre of the safe routing distance for that axis. I'd also write it down to be safe.

Do the same for the other axis. On my machine I ended up with a working area of around 650mm x 920mm, a bit bigger than specified.

I also then used a vee cutter to route 0.5mm deep a series of rectangles, each 50mm smaller than the previous one, and a line right up the Y axis and across the X axis in the middle, so I can see the entire machinable area, and now have lines to align work to. I find this amazingly useful, and it saves me heaps of time, let alone it's such a visual way to ensure the machine will route within it's limits.

cheers, Ian

I'll have to have a look at mine tomorrow after work, I'm not sure what the Advanced MDI Menu is, but the Move to Reference sounds awfully like the calibrate option which was just mental when I used it from the buttons (assuming I remember it correctly?). I do routinely use the option at the top, which should be equivalent to the "Move to Reference", where I manually (in mm) put in the X,Y and Z coords I want it to move to. I make it a habit to always look at the "JOG" screen while I do this to ensure I'm using - and + directions correctly. I use this a lot after finishing jobs to get the spindle to the rear on the left or right as I tend to do wood assembly on the cnc table.

It sounds to me like you may have tripped the limits, which from memory, with the machine powered up, you need to shut down NcStudio (not the PC), then start it, go to the Limit Switch settings, and either disable or toggle the ones that tripped. This should allow you to move the axis away from the limit switch, then again shut down NcStudio, start it again and swap the limit switch settings back!

I'll get back tomorrow when I can check my machine.

Going forward, I'd highly recommend manually jogging the spindle along one axis untill you trip the limit switch, then reset as discussed above so you can move it maybe 5mm back (5mm may sound small but it's plenty!), then set the coords for that axis to zero, and move it in the opposite direction till you trip the other limit switch. Reset the switch and move the axis back 5mm, then divide the travelled distance showing for that axis by half, put that number in the move to coords at the top, and hit enter. The spindle will now be in dead centre of the safe routing distance for that axis. I'd also write it down to be safe.

Do the same for the other axis. On my machine I ended up with a working area of around 650mm x 920mm, a bit bigger than specified.

I also then used a vee cutter to route 0.5mm deep a series of rectangles, each 50mm smaller than the previous one, and a line right up the Y axis and across the X axis in the middle, so I can see the entire machinable area, and now have lines to align work to. I find this amazingly useful, and it saves me heaps of time, let alone it's such a visual way to ensure the machine will route within it's limits.

cheers, Ian
    Dear Ian,

Thank you for your quick reply. Good to hear it's nothing too serious. I will take a screenshot of the option we used before everything went wrong to give you a better idea. I will try setting the limit switch again and see how it goes.

I'll keep you posted soon.

Cheers mate,
    Julien

Dear Ian,

Just to let you know I have not been able to do much testing, but I did try to toggle the limit ports in the IO tab and it didn't work. I followed your instructions and the state of the port switch from positive to negative but the limit stopper still don't work when the limit is crossed. I am going to do more testing later on this afternoon.

Will keep you posted

Cheers,
    Julien

Hi Julien,

Sorry for the delay mate, but I had my DSL migrated this week and it didn't quite go to plan, so I've been "internet deficient" for the last several days. That's very strange the limits don't seem to work properly on the machine? They're pretty straight forward, and if the machine worked before then unless you've got a dodgy connection somewhere, resetting the limits should get everything working again.

Looks like it's time to go back to basics and start from scratch, check all the wiring, connectors, status LED's, etc, etc. Even do a continuity check on the cabling while flexing it to ensure there's no weak crimping or breaks.

Also, might be best if you don't use of the exotic (exotic - ha ha!) features of NcStudio until you've ruled out no issues with the hardware and wiring. I'd limit it to just loading the .tap or gcode files, manually jogging, return to home co-ords, and setting z axis to zero after changing cutters. Basically this is all the functionality of NcStudio I use myself, as all I use it for is to load the gcode, set Z=0 for the cutter tip placement, return home, and run job, and at the end manually set position to move the gantry out of the way when finished!

cheers, Ian

Hi Julien,

Sorry for the delay mate but I had my DSL migrated this week and it didn't quite go to plan so I've been "internet deficient" for the last several days. That's very strange the limits don't seem to work properly on the machine? They're pretty straight forward, and if the machine worked before then unless you've got a dodgy connection somewhere resetting the limits should get everything working again.

Looks like it's time to go back to basics and start from scratch, check all the wiring, connectors, status LED's, etc, etc. Even do a continuity check on the cabling while flexing it to ensure there's no weak crimping or breaks.

Also, might be best if you don't use of the exotic (exotic - ha ha!) features of NcStudio until you've ruled out no issues with the hardware and wiring. I'd limit it to just loading the .tap or gcode files, manually jogging, return to home co-ords, and setting z axis to zero after changing cutters. Basically this is all the functionality of NcStudio I use myself, as all I use it for is to load the gcode, set Z=0 for the cutter tip placement, return home, and run job, and at the end manually set position to move the gantry out of the way when finished!

cheers, Ian
    Hey man,

No worries I was really busy too at work and I was about to reply to you just now !

My neighbour ended up removing one of the limit stopper and tested it on a battery. It works fine. So we don't know yet if it's the cabling but I still think its something with the software, we sent this long email to the manufactor with screenshots and pictures and we hope to get some answers soon.

I agree with you about not using the exotic functions

I'll keep you posted

All the best,
    Julien

If you want Julien, you can email me (at home) a copy of the one you sent the manufacturer in case I can see anything standing out?

cheers, Ian

If you want Julien, you can email me (at home) a copy of the one you sent the manufacturer in case I can see anything standing out?

cheers, Ian
    Cool thanks ! I will do when I am at my neighbour's house, we sent it from his email since he bought the machine and all

Cheers mate,
    Julien

Page 1 of 2 12