585,996 active members*
4,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > New 6040 CNC is not moving axis

New 6040 CNC is not moving axis

I just bought a new 6040 CNC machine.
    I got it in 4 days after ordering.

I am using the controller that came with it. I haven't bought a new controller yet.

I got the water pump and spindle working. The pressure blew the large hose off the tube but a simple hose clamp solved that.

There wasn't much in instructions on how to put it together but it only took me 2 hours to figure it out.

The axis are free spinning until I turn the power on then they all lock up which is what the instructions say should happen.

So far, I am happy with the product.

My problem is that I can't get Mach3 to control the axis.
    Tried Manual control and nothing happened when clicking X/Y/Z buttons. I think I can hear the axis click once in awhile.

If I run G-Code project, I can hear the axis trying to move. They are clicking but not moving.

If power is off on 6040, Mach3 program Reset says "Press Reset Emergency Mode-Active" and the Reset button is flashing. When power is turned on, the error message goes away and the button stops flashing.
    So there is some communication going through the parallel port.

I am not sure any of the foliowing is important since it seems a signal is getting to the axis.

===============================================

I found the 6040 manual on the Internet and followed those instructions.

In Ports and Pins, I set Kernel Speed to 35000Hz, verified Port #1 enabled and address set to 0x378.
    In Control Panel, printer port resource I/O Range set to "0378-037F" and there is a second range "0778-077A". Don't know if this will cause a problem.

In Motor Outputs, I set the following:
    Axis Step Pin# Dir Pin# Step Port Dir Port
    ==== ========= ======== ========= ========
    X 2 3 1 1
    Y 4 5 1 1
    Z 6 7 1 1

Dir Low Active checked for all three axis.

I applied settings.

Input Signals. Enabled the folowing and set them to:
    Signal Port# Pin# ActiveLow
    ====== ===== ==== =========
    X++ 1 11 checked
    X-- 1 11 checked
    Y++ 1 12 checked
    Y-- 1 12 checked
    Z++ 1 13 checked
    Z-- 1 13 checked
    EStop 1 10 checked

Outut Signals, enable the following:
    Enable4-checked, port# 1, Pin# 17
    Enable5-checked, port# 1, Pin# 16
    Output#1 checked Port# 0, Pin# 0

Applied the settings.
    Clicked OK

I sent an email to the company but it is probably night time there.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Greg

Greg,

I can't help you with the Mach3 settings for this controller, but if your using the stock controller that's TB6560 based, you need to be careful powering it up/down, as along with a number of issues with those boards, the IC requires a specific power on/off sequence that the design doesn't take into account, and can result in blown driver IC's.

You'll find the threads that describe this easily.

My recommendation would be to buy a G540 though if we're talking about the standard blue box controller, although they are now shipping them in black boxes too I see.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I got the information I used from a manual off the Internet and I got one the next day from the company after I requested help.
    The settings in the company document are different and everything is working now.

The controller is in a blue box an the board has the numbers "JB-3163B" on it. The only power control I see is a pump switch and an On switch. I will go look at the other post for a power on/off sequence.

I am a little tight on money until the first of next month. I will buy the G540 then. I hope I can make good use out of this controller without damaging anything until then. Fingers crossed

I hope to get my designs in and start cutting tomorrow or Tuesday.

Thanks for the help,
    Greg

hi Greg I also have a 6040 cnc a word of advise is go straight out and get a gecko g540 .I spent weeks of frustration on that blue controller if it wasn't one problem it was another from day 1 the x axis drive was fried and the other 2 axis were intermitting they would work then not I thought it was my lack of knowledge on all the mach3 settings but it turned out to be the controller. I finally got a g540 and built a new control,i did use the power supply from the blue box its only 24volts but I was amazed at the performance after I tweaked mach3 over a few hours,another thing the water pump that come with the router be careful with the electrical noise this creates it kept faulting my g540.After testing the machine over a couple of nights I still had a few hicups after another day of headaches I finally found that the cables on the machine were just junk. I gutted the whole thing and replaced all the axis cables,its been a pleasure eversince. I do hope you don't have these dramas to contend with just a bit of a heads up on some issues that I had. Danny