586,009 active members*
5,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to MARK HDPE and PP plastics? permanent marking..

I'm having a very hard time finding a good solution to marking on CNC machined parts - HDPE (white color) and Polypropelyne (white color). These parts are used in industrial machinery and must withstand high temperature sanitation with alcohol, various bleach based cleaners, etc.

I have tried the following thus far and still nothing fits the bill for permanent marking which is clean and easily readable.

- CO2 laser : engraves the HDPE pretty well but you have zero contrast so the mark is hard to read. If I fill the engraving in with color such as dye, marker, etc. it will get washed out when parts are put through the cleaning/sanitation process.

- Fiber laser : makes a brownish burned outline of the lettering with slight engraving. Text size smaller than say 12 point is very hard to read because the brownish burn does not have sharp edges, etc.

- UV Direct Jet Printing : makes for a beautiful full color marking, but the marking can easily be scratched off with a fingernail. I did not test it yet in alcohol or bleach cleaning, but I would imagine it would not hold up.

- Continuous ink jet printing with solvent based inks. The ink looks nice and dark black on the white HDPE, but you can easily wipe the marking off with any sort of alcohol based cleaner, etc. I highly doubt this would last through the cleaning/sanitation process.

From my research the only good solution I have found thus far is to use a UV Laser at 355 nm wavelength. These results look great for permanent marking but problem is, these lasers start around $60k.. ouch!!!
    http://www.dpss-lasers.com/Downloads/Marking%20HDPE.pdf

If anybody has any other suggestions or pointers such as pre-treament of the HDPE or post-treatment after marking I would be very grateful to learn. Thanks so much!

Re: How to MARK HDPE and PP plastics? permanent marking..

look this:

Laser gravure inks

We have seen your website and we would like to share with you our proposal

Since 2001, our firm specializes in manufacturing additives to achieve recordings on Metals, Ceramics, Glass and Plastics
    Using the CO2 Laser and also YAG-Nd. technology

The 34 HEVES´ products generate more opportunities for new business, increase your profits and the value of your laser machine

1-Could be diluted with ordinary water, they are NOT flammable, NOT use alcohol, preventing breathing toxic clouds to paint

2 Engraving on pure or anodized metals, ceramics, glasses and plastics,

3-Microengravings profound and security, on Steels, Ceramics and Glass

4- In 2004 we were the first to make and sell, additives for CO2 Laser Print on Plastics and painted objects (eg .: wood),presented in 9 basic Colors and 3 Metallics ones, all combined together to make hundreds of new custom colors.

(to work need only a few watts)

5-They are Concentrated Products and with High Performance:

With only 50 grams and using a brush you could cover at least 8,000 square Cm
    And using airbrush or spray they could be diluted half and half with water, covering more than 12,000 Cm square per bottle of 50 grams. This means that 250 grams (5 bottles) of product HEVES could produce 60,000 square Cm using Airbrush or Spray.

Please find attached a list of best sellers products and some photos

We would like to invite you to visit our website for more information about HEVES´ products:

Tecnocorte

Tecnocorte

[email protected]

[email protected]

Screen print with polyurethane film coating? Or polyurethane film on ink jet print?

UV laser machine is your best choice right now.Other means as i know cannot meet you needs.

I can offer a better solution for you on Uv Laser machine.

Contact me [email protected],or Skype: Damon Q