584,860 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Floating head

I am looking at making my own floating head. I have searched the net and can not come up with anything. Also what post would I use in sheet cam and set everything up once I get it made

Okay. If you are looking for a design for a floating head, there are many ways to do the same thing.
    Here is a link to your other thread, so guys can see your Z axis now.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ch_height.html

Your floating head would be mounted where your torch mount is now. On that vertical plate. Mine only uses gravity and the weight of the torch head and mount. I have seen them made spring loaded. They can be very simple or quite complex in design.

I have a split floating head design on mine. I use a die grinder to do engraving and it floats too, but doesn't use a switch. Again gravity only on that slide.

You will need a small slide of some sort. The more accurate, the better up to a point. It can get some crusty build up on it and stop motion if not cleaned regularly.
    I spray a liberal amount of WD40 on mine before and after use to keep it flushed clean.
    I just used some linear ways that I got off EBAY. I had them on hand for awhile.
    Most use some small or at least short ways. Mine have 6 inches of travel and that is a lot more than needed.

Maybe someone will post some plans. I don't recall seeing much in the way of plans. Basically just napkin drawings is all I saw.
    Lee

Look at my build here on the zone, A Different Machine - Downdraft/water table. I have two designs around post 30 - 35. The final design is just an aluminum block and 4 sealed bearings. Very simple and it works great. Also look at post 63 for a limit switch that has near perfect repeatability which you need for this function. A regular microswitch has too much variation.

Good luck,

Willy