585,932 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant filter BEFORE sump

Today was coolant tank clean..change coolant..get filthy..strain lower back..Day :tired:
    So as I am there on my knees with a roll of towels, getting everything just purdy..I started thinking about the filter bed systems.

Any of you running one of these..and if so how do you like it? Details, need details!
    Gary

I have the Chip Trap setup on my 2006 VF2 and my 2012 VF3.. Definately worth the cheap price, the damn VF3 tries to put almost as many chips into the coolant tank as it does the auger! The older VF2 I can go a month or two without changing the filter, but the newer machine I'll be lucky if I can go a week or two before its full of chips..

When you say "Chip Trap setup" do you mean the factory pan/screen..or a aftermarket set up? If aftermarket give me a link.
    Thanks,
    Gary

These are what I use in both my mills as a pre filter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

They work great. I have been using the blue for this. The brown for my control panel filters and I think the white would work just as well.
    Zero chips in the pan. Similar to the link provided, but these can be bought locally too.
    Lee

Did you just piece together the larger one in the third picture?
    2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert

Right. Two of them trimmed to fit. The little filter on top does the most chip elimination. This is a Novakon Torus. It comes with a small drain in the rear. Only about 5/8" ID. I don't yet have a screen over that hole, but will now. I wanted to see what the different was after I added the large front drain. There is now about a table spoon of chips at the mouth of the rear tube in the tank filter. None at all from the front hose.
    Time to put a similar weighted filer on the rear drain hole.
    Lee

Thanks for the reply's guys! I am trying to get a hold of the chip trap outfit now. I am going to try their filters in my chip pan.
    I will report back with results.
    Gary

Both materials look pretty similar. I get good coolant flow through mine and I imagine the kit they offer will work just as well.
    Lee

I do a ton of surfacing (stainless and alum)and a ton of plastic parts as well. I have found the best stuff is evap cooler pads from lowes or home depot. even use ac filters when I don't have time to run to the store( tad more expensive)
    just lay it in the tray and wait till it fills up then replace.
    I have to clean out my tank about once every year and a half if that.
    I also use water filtration filters for the from pump to nozzles change them once every 2-4 weeks
    theres a thread on here with my post and a few others from 4-5 years ago on the subject. its pretty detailed with pics

Delw

Just thought of this today, instead of buying the smaller cleaning pads why not just use minors moss?
    >>>>
    MINERS MOSS, Rosewind Mining Supply
    2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    Just thought of this today, instead of buying the smaller cleaning pads why not just use minors moss?
    >>>>
    MINERS MOSS, Rosewind Mining Supply
    I am sure those pads would work extremely well, but at $35 for a 12" x 36" pad, you will be spending way to much money trying to control the chips into the tank.

Depending on your application, you could be changing this thing out 1 or more times a day.