584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Probotix Fireball Meteor Extended CNC Machine Kit
Page 1 of 2 12

Post Probotix Fireball Meteor Extended CNC Machine Kit

Here is my Probotix Fireball Meteor Extended CNC Machine that I just picked up mainly for machining G10 Fiberglass sheets and some aluminum milling for some products I'm designing.

I'm very happy with the machine so far and its a beautiful design in my opinion.

I could not find much info about this machine before purchasing so I figured I would create a thread of other people who may be looking at Probotix larger machines so they could get a better idea of what they have to offer.

Me and my father went and picked up the machine from Probotix since I was only 4 hours away from their shop. They were very nice and the shop was busy building many different sizes of machines. They answered the many questions I had about running the machine and gave me a walk though on how to run the machine and how to create a file in ArtCam and then export to the Probotix computer to run the file which really was a huge help to get me going.

My goal with this thread is to try to have a running thread of my experience with this machine and to get feedback from others on how to get the most out of it for the different task I end up using it for. My main goal is to use it for business uses but I would also like to use it for trying to make furniture and signs which would be mainly wood cutting + acrylic.

I went with the Dewalt 611 router because of its great reviews on performance and because Percise Bits makes precision Collets for it. I talked with Ron at PercisionBits for about a half hour while he answered all my questions and he was very helpful. I ordered the extreme precision collet in 1/8th and 1/4 sizes and I picked up 4 1/8th inch chip breaker bits for cutting G10 sheets which they do beautifully.

I ordered a SuperPID speed controller also but have not hooked it up yet as I have cut some G10 already with a 1/8th inch PreciseBits Chip Breaker bit and it cut it like butter with the stock Dewalt router set on 5 speed. I mainly go the SuperPID because I though it would keep the speed down and that would keep any neighbors from complaining or from hearing it at all when the garage door is shut but its not near as loud as I was anticipating with the G10 and MDF I've cut so far. I'm sure the SuperPID will be handy in the future for some other task.

I'm playing with ArtCam Pro and Express now but I'm open to other suggestions or trying free trials of other software if anybody has suggestions. Probotix offers the post processor for ArtCam which is nice, I'm not sure if this post processor file can be used with other software just as easily or not.

Below are pictures of the system I purchased.

I'm looking for feedback on milling out pockets of 1/8th inch thick aluminum sheets. What bits are recommended? Do I need bit cooling add on? Can anybody link me to good info on doing aluminum milling with these type of machines? Speed is not a necessity, this is for small volume production and prototyping.

Attachment 195810

Attachment 195816

Attachment 195818

Attachment 195820

Attachment 195822

Attachment 195824

Attachment 195826

Attachment 195828

Attachment 195830

Attachment 195832

Attachment 195834

Attachment 195836

Attachment 195838

Attachment 195840

Attachment 195842

Attachment 195844

Attachment 195846

Attachment 195848

Attachment 195850

Attachment 195852

Very Cool, Thank you for making this thread. I have been researching machines like crazy and this is one I'm considering.

As far as "extended" did you get a custom size made?

As far as software recomendations go I really like V-Carve Pro. It was the easiest for me to get ideas into dxf's of all that I have tried. They have tons of tutorials on their site as well.

Yes I asked if they could make it 3 ft wide instead of 2ft and they said yes they could so I went with that. I have a 3x4ft laser cutting engraving machine also and I wanted the same footprint as that. Call and talk with Jeremy and tell him I sent ya.

I got my hands on Aspire 4.0 software which has vCarvePro and all the 3D stuff also and I agree it's awesome software all the way around. The tutorials are excellent.

Here are some videos I shot of the machine:

Great videos, I have been learning Aspire, really dig it, very intuitive. Are you using Mach 3?

whats the pricepoint on this machine?

probotix.com

The Meteor is 4,000.00

No I'm not using MACH 3.

The Probotix Meteor comes with the computer + monitor + LUNIX CNC Software that is installed on the computer. The computer is running Lunix and the only purpose of this computer is to run the Meteor machine which is does perfectly and the on screen live tool display is very nice also.

Here is what I have in the system:

$4,000 for the Probotix Meteor Extended *Cost May Increase
    $120 Dewalt 611 router
    $120 Precise Bits Ultra Precision 1/8 & 1/4 Collets
    $200 SuperPID Router Speed Controller
    $120 Festo Clamps for Clamping Stuff to the table
    $??? CAD Software - I found Aspire 4.0, I highly recommend this software for its ease of use and high quality design.

I picked up the machine personally from Probotix, if you have it shipped it could cost an extra $300

So its not super cheap but its a really nice machine.

i have had my meator since thanksgiving. I have 100's of hours on it. I do custom car audio speaker boxes, so i cut a lot of 3/4" material. Feedrates up to 150 ipm at .3" deep.

I wish i know i could have got a custom size, but the 2' x 4' is fine, as its what my old machine was. I am running the PC 690 2.25 HP and its seems to do well. I build a bench for mine to sit on that has cabinets underneath to store the PC, and other tools. Also running a dust cobra dust collector. Best dust collecter i have ever used for the size

Thanks for posting.

just got a Comet (the shorter version) at work, and set it up today. so far so good. hooked up a basic shopvac and dust collector shoe and it keeps it nice and clean.

Noticed 2 issues on the machine (Minor in my eyes).
    -The lead screws seem to be slightly bent, and at full rapid the nuts make a clicking noise.
    -The bed appears to be slightly out of tram....maybe 1mm over the whole bed. Any idea on how to tram it?

I also just drilled a 2 inch hole pattern into the spoil board for threaded inserts for fixturing. What are you guys doing for fixturing?

The aluminum cutting videos look good. What type of aluminum, and tooling and rpm are you using?

If you need any help with what to use for a fixturing substrate or different types of gasket to use All Star Adhesives - gasketing products for CNC routers and v-groove tape for v-grooving and coving applications.

Thanks for posting your photos! I just ordered their standard 25" x 50" Meteor and have the same router (Dewalt 611) ready to install in it. Nothing other than an order acknowledgement email so far, but with "In Stock" conflicting with "2 week lead time" I've narrowed down when mine will show up to "sometime this month".

I've got Vcarve Pro and am fairly fluent using it. Mostly furniture parts is what I'm buying it for. My little CNC Shark just isn't big enough for some things, but I don't have room for anything larger than this 2' x 4' CNC.

I just ordered a Meteor Extended after seeing the videos in this thread, thanks!

Just a heads up- Probotix now charges a $200 upgrade fee for the "Extended" model with a 37" wide work envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by jchance View Post
    I just ordered a Meteor Extended after seeing the videos in this thread, thanks!

Just a heads up- Probotix now charges a $200 upgrade fee for the "Extended" model with a 37" wide work envelope.
    Awesome. I see that this thread has sold quite a few machines for Probotix!

Its a good unit. I'm about to cut some 1/8 inch 7075 Aluminum Sheets real quick actually.

The only problem I have had so far is have to replace the bearings on the main left and right router rail. The bearings fell out of the linear bearings. Probotix sent me 4 more, I replaced 2, and then more bearings begin falling out of 2 other bearings. I haven't replaced the 2nd set since its still working and I don't want to mess with it yet but I would prefer some better linear bearings. Other than that its a beautiful machine.

Using Aspire 4.0 to do everything and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by dogon1013 View Post
    Thanks for posting.

just got a Comet (the shorter version) at work, and set it up today. so far so good. hooked up a basic shopvac and dust collector shoe and it keeps it nice and clean.

-The lead screws seem to be slightly bent, and at full rapid the nuts make a clicking noise.
    -The bed appears to be slightly out of tram....maybe 1mm over the whole bed. Any idea on how to tram it?

I also just drilled a 2 inch hole pattern into the spoil board for threaded inserts for fixturing. What are you guys doing for fixturing?

The aluminum cutting videos look good. What type of aluminum, and tooling and rpm are you using?
    The lead screws are LONG and mine make the same sound at full 200mm a second but thats fine with me.

I have no idea what Tram is.

I drilled a 6 inch hole pattern for my Festol hold down brackets. Festool 488030 Clamping ElemenTS 2-Pack - Amazon.com But all the holes weaken the MDF spoil board and causes the center of the sheet to sag slightly. I am going to put on a new spoil board to get back to a flat surface.

I do not recommend the Festol clamps linked above, when you compress your work they lift the piece up off the table slighlty no matter what you do. I find my self just screwing down the objects instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dogon1013 View Post
    Thanks for posting.

I also just drilled a 2 inch hole pattern into the spoil board for threaded inserts for fixturing. What are you guys doing for fixture?

The aluminum is 7075 Aircraft aluminum that you can by from Amazon. Its T6 Tempered and cuts beautifully. A guy who tested alot of different aluminum types and the 7075 sheets provided the best results. The other types just kind of melt.

My Meteor finally arrived. Took Probotix 3 weeks before they shipped it, and another week for the shipper to deliver it to my house. For holding down work I went with t-track embedded into the MDF bed. I let the meteor cut the x+ pattern into the MDF for it. So far so good other than on one occasion it decided to skip a command, run a little wild and ruined my piece.

4D

Its a bummer to read about the MFT'd spoilboard not working out- I thought that was a great solution since I already have a MFT/3 and I'm a festool guy. At least I'll be able to make my own replacement tops for the work table in the future

When you cut the MFT top did you just pocket out 20mm holes on 96mm centers? I have festool's 20mm hinge boring bit but it's 8mm to fit their euro routers

Hi SolarDude,
    I have been looking at buying a CNC router myself for a few weeks but trying to find as much info as I can.
    I looked at the Zenbot 48x48 but now think the Fireball Meteor is better. Thanks for starting this thread, a lot
    of good info. The one thing that I am concerned with from your post is the fact that the bearing fell out and
    from what I understand your machine is relatively new (under 6 months). Can you give more info and show
    with photos exactly where the bearing fell out and where you expect the others to fall out? Would be really
    grateful.

Also, you said Probotix sent you 4 more bearings. Was this at their cost are yours?

I noticed in one of your photos showing the mouse for the computer that you have what looks like a game controller.
    Did this come with the unit or did you buy it separately? I would guess it's a manual controller, can you enlighten me?

I want to cut mainly wood but sheet aluminum from time to time and think this machine could but a good candidate.

Thanks for all the info you and all else have posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snap17.jpg   Snap18.jpg  

Re: Probotix Fireball Meteor Extended CNC Machine Kit

How thick are the aluminum plate pieces on the sides of the gantry? Do you notice any flex with it? I have an old x90 made out of mdf, i can "bend" the router up and down probably around 3mm. Just too much flex to cut with the accuracy Im needing.

Thanks
    Charlie

Page 1 of 2 12