584,866 active members*
5,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Door interlock?

The fadal tech was replacing my x axis cable and in the process he hooked up the door interlock. The previous owner had disabled it, and I don't know what to disconnect/jumper to get the machine to work. I don't have the magnet on the other door and the service tech never thought to see if the machine would run a program before he left. Any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Ed

If you look at the inside of the enclosure you will see a cable with a blak housing about 4"x3"x1/2, on the door you will see a piece of metal with some finns at the same height unbolt the bracket and tape it to the switch it should be on the top of door( I personal do recomend you to do this for legal resons howevery if it was my machine I would)

My Machine is a 94 and the switch is on the right hand door (as if you were standing in front of the machine). It looks like there is supposed to be a magnet or something on the other door but there isn't. I can't take something off and tape it to the switch because I don't have that part. It worked before and I'm sure the tech hooked something back up in the computer cabinet, but I don't know what.

Did the tech not test the machine before he left?
    That is poor if he didn't.
    Are you sure it is the door switch?
    Either way he owes you some free service to make things right, it worked before he did his so called job.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

The door interlock can be disconnected from one of the boards inside the electronics enclosure. For some reason "J19" comes to mind. (but not certain) Best if you look it up in the manual, or call the service guy and have a lame excuse ready, and maybe he'll tell you. (mine did)

He didn't check it, he probably figured I had the part on the other door and it would work. I called his cellphone and left a message yesterday morning saying my machine doesn't work. Still no call back.

Always check your work at least once, preferrably twice

It's J13 on my 4020, but instead of disconnecting it you can just put a good little magnet like you use to hold the prints on the sheet metal on the door where the magnet switch is located.

The magnetic switch on ours is in the upper left corner of the right door, and putting a magnet on the operator side of the door (right on top of the switch) fools it into thinking it's shut.

Our magnet kept slipping, so we unplugged it anyway. On our control it's located in the lower right.

Thanks for the info. I fixed it temporarily with a magnet duct taped over the sensor. I want to permanently fix it before it shuts down in the middle of a cut.

Wink Interlock disable

This works on our 97 CNC88 HS:

On the right hand door is a black anodized cover over the interlock switch. Remove the two screws and pull it off. Pop the plastic switch out. Unhook the two wires from the switch and tape them up with electrical tape. Put everything back under the cover and screw it back in place. With the two leads disconnected the control thinks the door is closed.

Dave

Re: Interlock disable

Hello , not to high-jack the thread so what you are saying is that there is no program parameter to dis / enable the door interlock? It has to be done physically by disabling the reed contact / switch ? ( I did ask that question in another thread but never got an tangible answer )

If you need to test the door interlock switch pull the J13 connector from the lower corner of the mother board. This will disable the door interlock system for testing.

Don't forget to re-install the plug when you are done testing. While the jumper is removed the control allows the machine to operate regardless of the door position!

Quote Originally Posted by ShovelheadMark View Post
    Hello , not to high-jack the thread so what you are saying is that there is no program parameter to dis / enable the door interlock? It has to be done physically by disabling the reed contact / switch ? ( I did ask that question in another thread but never got an tangible answer )
    The law requires safety switches and E-stops to be physically hard wired, some import and older model machines are not compliant (as is the case with the Fadal)

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    The law requires safety switches and E-stops to be physically hard wired, some import and older model machines are not compliant (as is the case with the Fadal)
    I do not understand your statement the fadal is not compliant because it is hardwired ..??? as I stated before I can not find a way to software override .. means it is hardwired only which completely contradicts your statement???? Also this is a private shop and the LAW has no access or jurisdiction and I like it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by IN2GLAMISGIRL View Post
    If you need to test the door interlock switch pull the J13 connector from the lower corner of the mother board. This will disable the door interlock system for testing.

Don't forget to re-install the plug when you are done testing. While the jumper is removed the control allows the machine to operate regardless of the door position!
    Thank you in my other thread somebody mentioned terminal J13 I was just hoping for a parameter that can be changed , like the Haas I was trained on originally .

Quote Originally Posted by ShovelheadMark View Post
    I do not understand your statement the fadal is not compliant because it is hardwired ..??? as I stated before I can not find a way to software override .. means it is hardwired only which completely contradicts your statement???? Also this is a private shop and the LAW has no access or jurisdiction and I like it that way.

Thank you in my other thread somebody mentioned terminal J13 I was just hoping for a parameter that can be changed , like the Haas I was trained on originally .
    door interlock switch pull the J13 connector from the lower corner of the mother board - this is what makes it non compliant

Re: Door interlock?

Just to clarify, what makes the Fadal non-compliant is 1) the control looks for an open state on the switch so you can un-plug or cut the wire and run with no interlock 2) the door switch isn't a true interlock as it has no ability to keep the door closed. (it's worth noting that as long the machine met OSHA standards at the time of install you are grandfathered in for most of these issues)

Re: Door interlock?

Thanks for the in-depth citation of the rule book , but as I said OSHA has absolutely no jurisdiction here and I like it that way , this is just for my own convenience when I do test setups , I will take full responsibility for my actions and I can assure you I will not sue myself