584,829 active members*
4,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Best text for MasterCAM X

Best text for MasterCAM X

I got a copy of MasterCAM X to learn on and just need a good book to get me started with the basics and a little further.

What books should I look at?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

go to the help menu in the software thats got all the info you need and did the software come with a manual or is it cracked software

I got it from an instructor to play with. It won't let me save files nor will it post code but it works for learning on. I talked to one of the workers at the MasterCAM booth at Westec and he told me a good book to get and will be ordering it tomorrow. With any luck I can learn as much as I can and bypass the beginning class at school and go into the acvanced.

you should still go to the beginner class learn the right way and than and than you will know how to cheat the software latter

I bought the books available from In-House Solutions. Emastercam.com has a link. They were very helpful, I still use them, and they were relatively inexpensive. Also, with premium shipping (only ten bucks more) I got them in about 24 hours.

HTH

Ryan

Training Video CD

There is a quick start (getting aquainted with) Mastercam X training CD available at http://www.tipsformanufacturing.com/...stercam_x.html

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Well I Looked At Your Site And Will Only Say That At $175/cd I Would Pass On It. Bobcad Charges List Price For A 6 Cd Set Which Cover All Of The Software For $275(YOU CAN CRY AND GET IT FOR $200 THAT WHAT I PAID) And That’s The Biggest Thing About Mastercam Is The Cost To The Small Shop. Mastercam Can Get Away With This Because Companies Know That There Are A Lot Of User Out There So When They Need To Hire Someone There A Large Pool To Chose From. But For The Small Shop Almost All Machining Is 2 1/2 Axis Mastercam Is Just To Much Money If I Need More Powerful Software It Would Be Surfcam Not Mastercam BUT WILL ADD THE THE GETTING AQUAINTED WITH MASTER CAM FOR $85 IS A FAIR PRICE

I'm not going to justify the price of my Training CD's. I've saved Hundreds of companies 1000's of hours/year. But think about this, If you find one short cut that saves you 1 hour/week , how many weeks till the training investment pays off.

I've been in 100's of companies that are doing things the hard way or have wished for a feature that they already have. So for the people who have invested $5000 in software, what is another $175 to learn how to use it the right way. Why buy something as powerful as Mastercam if yur not going to use the power.

If most people would just learn the basics in the first place, their personal learn time would benefit them exponentialy. I know this to be fact.

But that's why their are Bob cam users and Mastercam users. To each his own. You cant tell me the difference between Mastercam and Bobcam is the price. Believe me, If they did the same thing as Mastercam for $500, no one would ever buy a $5000 Mastercam seat again. But the real proof is the number of people who have purchased Mastercam after having Bobcam. Dont get me wrong, I'm not knocking Bobcam, But you absolutely do get what you pay for. That goes for quality training as well. I've been creating training materials for over 20 years. Teaching Mastercam for 18 years.

Thanks for your input,

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

[QUOTE=Mike Mattera]

If most people would just learn the basics in the first place, their personal learn time would benefit them exponentialy. I know this to be fact.

YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD AND I DO THINK THAT MASTERCAM IS A OUTSTANDING PROGRAM THE TOOL MANAGEMENT CAPABITY ARE BY FAR SUPERIOR TO BOBCAD AND IF I COULD HAVE JUSTUFIED WELL OVER TWICE THE COST I WOULD HAVE WENT WITH MASTERCAM THAT WHY YOUR LARGE COMPANIES USE THE SOFTWARE HOWEVER THE SMALLER SHOP CAN'T PAY OVER $5000 PLUS TRAINING FOR A PERSON ONLY TO HAVE HIM GO DOWN THE STREET IN SIX MONTH OVER A $1.00/HOUR AND I DID SAY THAT THE COST OF YOUR PRODUCT WAS FAIR AND ONLY THAT I WOULD NOT PAY THAT MUCH IF I WAS A LARGE COMPANY WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT I WOULD ISSUE A P.O. BECAUSE MORE THAN ONE PERSON WOULD BE HELP BY YOUR TRAIN VIDIO AND THEY COULD BE USED OVER AND OVER

WHY ARE YOU YELLING? (caps = yelling)

Your right not everyone can afford Mastercam. So when you buy it, you better get the most out of it. I way always amazed when a shop would spend $12-$14K on Mastercam and then NOT send some to learn how to use it. Kinda like buying a Backhoe to dig ditches and using shovels because you dont want to buy diesel for the engine.

Go Figure.

Mike Mattera

[QUOTE=Mike Mattera]WHY ARE YOU YELLING? (caps = yelling)

NOT YELLING CAP LOCK ON AND SOME TIME IT STICK WOULD YOU BELEIVE ME IF I SAID THAT I'M A CHEAP YANKEE AND WIL NOT SPEND $10 ON A NEW KEYBOARD?

lol