585,581 active members*
3,781 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Problems cutting pockets

Problems cutting pockets

Hi,
    I'm new here and new to CNC. I am comfortable working with autocad and inventor, but do not have any experience working with MasterCam or cnc. I am currently trying to use MasterCam X2 to create a simple project with a series of very simple pockets. I am having problems with the router starting the plunge operation before it is within the area to be pocketed. In other words it is plunging to early and leaving cuts leading into the pockets. Can anyone point me in the right direction to correct this problem.
    Thanks
    Brian

Without seeing how you set your linking page up it is hard but I could think of a few thoughts like the:
    Clarence plane
    feed plane
    top of stock
    were is your datum coming from relative to the top of stock

Could be other things at the machine to.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

This is most likely a " Lead in, Lead out" issue.
    In parameters, turn off the Lead In Lead out button.
    Should solve it.
    I make Corian templates for guitars and sometimes I do use that feature.
    Hope this helps!
    Rob

I am not big with plunging but you need to look at the Length and angle that it is coming in at. Bit now that I think about this you must not be using a pocket or this is happening at the end for the finish pass as pocket is a contained cutting method. Why not share you file I can answer this easy.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Re: Problems cutting pockets

Quote Originally Posted by 00juice View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new here and new to CNC. I am comfortable working with autocad and inventor, but do not have any experience working with MasterCam or cnc. I am currently trying to use MasterCam X2 to create a simple project with a series of very simple pockets. I am having problems with the router starting the plunge operation before it is within the area to be pocketed. In other words it is plunging to early and leaving cuts leading into the pockets. Can anyone point me in the right direction to correct this problem.
    Thanks
    Brian
    You would think that since mastercam has so many systems that they would have decent pocketing and contour profiling. the truth is mastercam pocketing is the very worst on this planet, so welcome to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by camaru View Post
    You would think that since mastercam has so many systems that they would have decent pocketing and contour profiling. the truth is mastercam pocketing is the very worst on this planet, so welcome to the truth.
    Well thank you for your opinion and 8 years later and on a version that was easily over 15 years . But I have made good pockets in Mastercam sense the 80's with not much fight at all. Now there are many more ways now to remove pocket material areas in Mastercam better and faster but pocket is still used by many.

have a good day
    Cadcam

How is it that commentors think that that their opinion counts on a VERY OLD post, that any software is constantly evolving, if it wants to maintain any foot in the market.

X2 is what... 20 years ago
    That is why people update, to be smarter, faster, etc. than those that want to use those older versions.
    I shudder when someone wants help with a V9 or X version.... it indicates they may be using a "pirate" copy, and they want a freebie that actually costs a lot of $$$ for a legit user. And they cannot obtain any help through a reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    How is it that commentors think that that their opinion counts on a VERY OLD post, that any software is constantly evolving, if it wants to maintain any foot in the market.

X2 is what... 20 years ago
    That is why people update, to be smarter, faster, etc. than those that want to use those older versions.
    I shudder when someone wants help with a V9 or X version.... it indicates they may be using a "pirate" copy, and they want a freebie that actually costs a lot of $$$ for a legit user. And they cannot obtain any help through a reseller.
    Hey Superman my old friend you are correct it's old not 20 but note to far off. lol I have a customer that happens to be my old boss from the 90"s I am doing a project for. I remember I tried to get him years later to update when I worked for his reseller was not in the cards. so he is still using V9.1 but I think I am going to get them to buy new now. I got them in 2022 Demo.

And the Pirate thing is the case most of the time. but there are that still use the old legal seat they bought. But we keep updating the software. we release every year now with fixs and new versions with all new great tools.

Hope you are good my friend.
    Cadcam

Hi J
    Yeah, still kicking around. This cov19 is a real b1tch, so I hope you all are keeping well, & well away from that f#$%g bug.
    Started mcam back with v5.5 using Win3.11 ( I think the PC had a 60 Mb HDD )
    Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Hi J
    Yeah, still kicking around. This cov19 is a real b1tch, so I hope you all are keeping well, & well away from that f#$%g bug.
    Started mcam back with v5.5 using Win3.11 ( I think the PC had a 60 Mb HDD )
    Cheers Steve
    Ya this whole Covid thing has just been a night mare for sure. my house hold has been good. No issues so fare keep fingers crossed. MC 5.5 so if I remember correctly that was1995. If I remember correctly I was introduced to Mastercam 1986. I forget what version it was it was a long time ago all dos on 5.5 floppy's. It sure has changed. We were just cut at deal to join Sandvik this week told to the public.

Are you still using MC if so what version now?

Glad to hear you are well Steve it has been a while.
    Cadcam

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Ya this whole Covid thing has just been a night mare for sure. my house hold has been good. No issues so fare keep fingers crossed. MC 5.5 so if I remember correctly that was1995. If I remember correctly I was introduced to Mastercam 1986. I forget what version it was it was a long time ago all dos on 5.5 floppy's. It sure has changed. We were just cut at deal to join Sandvik this week told to the public.

Are you still using MC if so what version now?

Glad to hear you are well Steve it has been a while.
    Great that you/your family are untouched
    (The jab looks looks like the best way to protect those most at risk, my youngest (special needs) is the one I'm concerned for.
    2nd grandchild due mid Sept, but, not close by. Cov19 will figure in when we see bub.

Currently using MC2021, managing 5 seats (various configs nothing really complex), DMG 5 axis, DMG CTX lathe, Hardinge mill(2) & lathe(1), plus various manual machines. Co wants to replace a couple with larger capacity table size.
    ..... by the way, due to retirements, job offers etc..... I'm the only machinist, so call me Jack(-of-all-trades)... don't ask where I put the broom.
    Don't worry, they say they are going to recruit soon, after reassessing pay scales/levels (but in this pandemic, it ain't moving too fast)

Look after the family, stay safe
    Steve