585,997 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Mini Shear / Brake manual machine proposition?

Mini Shear / Brake manual machine proposition?

Hello,
    I work on mini projects, already owning a DB-200 mini lathe/mill/drill (just to show the scale of the projects)
    I am interested in a machine to easily bend and cut aluminum or brass sheets, primarily to make small enclosures.
    I recently discovered that there are combinational machines for this purpose like this one: Manually Operated Mini Shear/Brake Combination Machine SB-8 | Baileigh Industrial
    Has anyone got any experience with this one or to propose another one based on the next criteria?

1. My space is limited
    2. Cutting as well as bending sheets desired

Quote Originally Posted by neazoi View Post
    Hello,
    I work on mini projects, already owning a DB-200 mini lathe/mill/drill (just to show the scale of the projects)
    I am interested in a machine to easily bend and cut aluminum or brass sheets, primarily to make small enclosures.
    I recently discovered that there are combinational machines for this purpose like this one: Manually Operated Mini Shear/Brake Combination Machine SB-8 | Baileigh Industrial
    That looks like a common machine from China. I have no way to know for sure however realize that the quality varies widely. In general you would be better off buying or making separate shears and a brake.
    Has anyone got any experience with this one or to propose another one based on the next criteria?
    Search the Internet some more. Depending upon the brand people have had issues getting the results they want.
    1. My space is limited
    Even so you would be better off with seperate machines.
    2. Cutting as well as bending sheets desired

It looks like it may be the same machine as the Grizzly T23109:

Grizzly.com

I don't have any experience using it - I was at the Grizzly showroom in Pennsylvania a week ago and looked at it there, but they did not have it in stock so I did not buy one.

There may be a different importer in your country, but perhaps you could look for reviews based on the Grizzly model number.

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    It looks like it may be the same machine as the Grizzly T23109:

Grizzly.com

I don't have any experience using it - I was at the Grizzly showroom in Pennsylvania a week ago and looked at it there, but they did not have it in stock so I did not buy one.

There may be a different importer in your country, but perhaps you could look for reviews based on the Grizzly model number.
    So you say the grizzly is the "original" one and the others are china replicas?
    To be honest, searching on the internet, found 4-5 other products that look almost identical, but have other companies logos on them and different colours. It seems a typical China product.

I like the fact that it is a combinational machine, as I said my space is limited and it will be used for PCB and small aluminum and brass cutting/bending.
    I believe that it will cope with these tasks easily, but for harder work I would chose a toughter one, but which one?

So you say the grizzly is the "original" one and the others are china replicas?
    No.

The Grizzly one is just another 'made-in-China' machine, just like all the others.

Hm... I have not seen a US or EU made such machine, I do not know if it exists.
    Also a question that comes in mind is that does it really worth the money for this little 2-n-1 machine?

I mean... look how easy a break can be made Homemade Mini Bend Brake and it can be made much more rigid if using greater thickness steel and hinges. One could bend much more thick steel sheet with this one at a fracrion of the cost (and I dare to say at a fraction of the hand power needed).

About the shear, that is another story, I could not build one but this seems rigid 325373 Industrial Manual Rebar Stud Round Metal Steel Sheet Cutting Shear 200mm | eBay Any other thoughts about this, would be appreciated.

Hm... I have not seen a US or EU made such machine, I do not know if it exists.
    A USA manufacture would be Pexto. Good stuff that you will pay for handsomely. Itis always worthwhile to look for used equipment from Pexto (Roper Whitney) or other old line USA manufactures.
    Also a question that comes in mind is that does it really worth the money for this little 2-n-1 machine?
    Again read the various reports and reviews on the net. For the most part I think you will find that the answer is no they aren't worth it.
    I mean... look how easy a break can be made Homemade Mini Bend Brake and it can be made much more rigid if using greater thickness steel and hinges. One could bend much more thick steel sheet with this one at a fracrion of the cost (and I dare to say at a fraction of the hand power needed).
    There are all sorts of DIY solutions for bending metal. That particular Brake you linked to strikes me as a big compromise. However what you can manage in your shop or local ony you know. It would be well worth it to put time into a well done Brake that is flexible for your needs and will last.

Here is the other thing when it comes to bending stuff, if you think a sheet metal Brake is all you will need I might suggest that you will be in for a surprise. Expect to need to bend rod flats and even pipe. Many of these tools are easy to build.
    About the shear, that is another story, I could not build one but this seems rigid 325373 Industrial Manual Rebar Stud Round Metal Steel Sheet Cutting Shear 200mm | eBay Any other thoughts about this, would be appreciated.
    I wouldn't go that route honestly. I'd look for something like a Pexto 125 < ROPER WHITNEY: Bench Shears > in a smaller size. The Pexto is 25" wide which is likely larger than you want. I've seen these sorts of shears in 12" widths though I haven't found a link today. The reason to go this route is that the shear is likely to remain in alignment for a long time.

I understand the space issue, but it might be better to look at it as a storage challenge. In any event I'd probably give priority to a really decent shear if your projects are as small as your lathe implies. There are ways to bend small sheet metal items that don't require large bench tools. So the shear can be used to break down stock to size cleanly while you improvise the bending. If my assumption about your intended projects is wrong though you will need a brake. Note that a lot of the brakes on the market won't handle really small items well anyways.