585,741 active members*
5,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Feasibility of a CNC machine shop business using DIY machines

Feasibility of a CNC machine shop business using DIY machines

I am in the CNC plasma business now. I have a Torchmate table. I am looking into expanding my shop capabilities, however cash is tight so I am looking at building additional machines making parts on my CNC plasma table and using arduino controllers.

I am looking to build a CNC router for acrylic, wood and aluminum work, and a 3 axis milling machine.

Do you think that customers are really concerned about the machine brand you have or is it more of a just get my job done kind of thing?

I have a crazy idea of building a heavy frame using schedule 40 pipe, and using a drill press for the work. Arduino controller, stainless threaded rod for drive screws, and machined nuts to eliminate backlash. Enclosing the whole thing in a powder coated case so it looks like the commercial machines. It wont be very fast, but who needs 350ipm speeds when 120-150ipm will do just fine.

As long as the product is made a customer should never care what type of machine you use.

It wont be very fast, but who needs 350ipm speeds when 120-150ipm will do just fine.
    I'd be surprised if you can get 50ipm using allthread.

I may be wrong, but what your describing doesnt sound like a machine capable of generating much income.
    Now, I've seen tons of homebuilt machines used for business purposes, but they tend to be much higher quality and performance than what you're describing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I was machining some steel yesterday at less than 12ipm on a old Hartford machine. Even if I get someone with a shaper to make rack and pinion gearing its feasible.

My concern is someone walking into the shop and losing the job cause the machine is not a brand name.

Quote Originally Posted by Metzindustries View Post
    I was machining some steel yesterday at less than 12ipm on a old Hartford machine. Even if I get someone with a shaper to make rack and pinion gearing its feasible.

My concern is someone walking into the shop and losing the job cause the machine is not a brand name.
    If that's your main concern, make it look good and then whack an official looking brand and obscure model number sticker on it! Rebrand it! Works for the Chinese with Abidas, Like, and popsi-cola!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Lol. I'm going to the metal fabricators convention this week. I'll prob see something like that. I could slap the brand name Kondia on it.. Lol

Hi,

usually customers don't care about your equipment - they just want their parts asap, at agreed quality, for the lowest price possible.
    Whether you use a "professional" machine, something DIY or any random child with a saw and file in a poor country of your choice is usually up to you

One exception: if you deliver parts for a production line. They may ask if and how you can handle machine failures as they don't want to risk stopping their line.

By the way... USB and Plasma is tricky - especially the Arduino is badly designed regarding noise immunity of its USB connection.
    You may want to stick to the good old parallel port or a ethernet devices.
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

I have zero problems with USB and plasma. I use a hypertherm no high frequency start. Torchmate table. Super reliable