585,883 active members*
4,764 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Configuring a new computer to run CAM software (Xilog), couple of questions

Configuring a new computer to run CAM software (Xilog), couple of questions

I'm an IT assistant at a company that makes wood fenestrations. We have three CNC computers that need to be updated, and I'm looking to completely replace them. I know basically nothing about these CNC's and the software that runs on them, but it seems the software is rather picky with what it can run on. For example, one of the engineers said that hyperthreading must be disabled for this software to run. So in light of that, I'm trying to figure out what pitfalls I need to avoid when ordering a new PC. This is all the information I have about the CNC's we are using, but like I said, I don't know enough about these systems to be able to tell if I'm not giving you guys enough information:

Routech Record 240
    SCM Group
    Using Xilog Plus CAM Software (Numtools, Esa GV - Kvara, Intervector, Syncron "P" are all listed on the install CD)

So I guess what my question is, is what kind of computer do I need to order for all of this to be compatible? Can this be ran on windows 7? 64 or 32 bit? I'm guessing there isn't any way around disabling hyperthreading, but what about multiple cores? if hyperthreading is an issue, could a multi core system have the same issue?

Thanks in advance

Are these just running Xilog, or are they the machine control PC's? YOU might want to contact SCM and ask them. If you're in the US, try to get in touch with Hector Henry at SCM North America.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

For some reason unbeknownst to me, our company bought the European version of the cnc. I'm not sure what the difference is but it makes getting in contact with the vender difficult because of my office hours and the time delay.