585,727 active members*
4,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

trotec speedy 25w-laser tube

hi there,
    I new to this so might be asking a not so clever question.
    I am looking at buying a trotec laser engraver (speedy 100 25w on ebay)
    It needs a new tube or refill/refurb.
    My question is :
    Is it possible to use one of those cheaper laser tubes perhaps together with a power supply to be fitted with the machine?
    I have heard that new tube for trotec is a few thousand £.
    I know that trotec's tube is air cooled and the cheap ones are water cooled (always?)
    If it is technically possible, are there any companies that could fit it?
    Any ideas about the cost of refurb./refill?
    Thanks in advance,
    t.

Quote Originally Posted by wouldliketoknow View Post
    hi there,
    I new to this so might be asking a not so clever question.
    I am looking at buying a trotec laser engraver (speedy 100 25w on ebay)
    It needs a new tube or refill/refurb.
    My question is :
    Is it possible to use one of those cheaper laser tubes perhaps together with a power supply to be fitted with the machine?
    I have heard that new tube for trotec is a few thousand £.
    I know that trotec's tube is air cooled and the cheap ones are water cooled (always?)
    If it is technically possible, are there any companies that could fit it?
    Any ideas about the cost of refurb./refill?
    Thanks in advance,
    t.

Hey,

I have been eyeing the same machine/listing. After spending some time on the phone with various companies I found the following:

to recharge the existing laser will cost £1500 - £2500 + VAT from a company called Laserline. Apparently, if you got it repaired through Trotec they would use this same company anyway so why not go direct. They said the condition of the laser would really affect the price of the refurb (obviously) but worst case scenario I would set aside £2500.

I also discussed replacing the laser unit for a more powerful 50-60 watt type and that would cost anywhere from £5000-8000 depending on brand, condition (ie. used or brand new).

I am really tempted to buy this machine aswell but the shear cost involved in repairing/upgrading this is putting me off. I even spoke to the person selling this machine and he wasn't too sure about the machine either and didnt seem to bothered with it. I guess its good for those that already have a laser unit they can put into it.

As far as using a Chinese glass type laser, that wont work apparently as they require alot more voltage and can do more damage to the machine eg motherboard. I personally wouldn't go down this route.

Im back on the quest to find another affordable reputable laser cutting machine

Hope this helps.

Ha ha looks like a lot of folk have the same idea. I also phoned the chap selling this machine to enquire about replacing the laser with a chinese glass equivelent. Refurb costs are high (£2000) and a rip off IMHO, but im ignorant to the process of refilling a tube maybe it takes weeks?

Glass tube got many defects such as needing high voltage, beam quality 3 times thicker than RF, need water chiller and affected by water temperature, life span is quite short than RF. only 1 point, the price is cheap.

But it also depends on what material you do laser job,, the glass one is suitable to some material like leathers.

Piero
    Focus in Laser Marking/Engraving, Laser Cutting, Laser Welding devices.
    [email protected]

Have mint condition (35.7W) Synrad Firestar V30.
    Air cooled.
    Signals are the same as 48 series only connector is different but I will make an adapter.
    Anybody interested, send Private Message.

Regards
    CNC lasers, constructions, service