585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advise on buying a Lathe

I'm new to turning and milling and looking to get setup with a lathe and a mill for hobby work.

I've been looking at the 12x36 Enco versus the Precision Matthews versus the Birmingham

The PM seems to have a few more goodies (light, coolant, foot brake). Since I know pretty much nothing about choosing a machine and I'm going crosseyed from reading thread after thread about Asian machines vs. used US machines...I just don't know enough about them to make an informed decision. I started out wanting a 9x20 lathe but figured, why settle there when you can have a bigger lathe, and more features for not much more money (although as I keep justifying increase expenditure I'm getting further and further away from that idea). I don't really want to mess with buying a used machine because I'm concerned about inheriting someone elses problems and I wouldn't know what to look for anyways. (I pretty much have the same questions about Sq.column mills, but I'll save that for another post)

Any advise is appreciated.

Jay

THE PEICE OF ADVISE IS GET WHAT YOU NEED NOT WHAT YOU WANT ALSO THE IS A TON OF GOOD USED MACHINE HERE IS JUST ONE LINK YOU COULD FIND BEST OF LUCK

http://www.machinetools.com/MT/machines/index.tmpl

You won't regret going bigger. Of the three you list, the Mathews looks like the one I would choose. From what I remember from looking at these kinds of lathes a long time ago, this style with the enclosed gearbox looked superior. I would ask if it is made in China or Taiwan. I have had a Taiwanese mill before and it was actually quite well made and definitely superior to Chinese versions. One thing I do know is that a lot of the Asian 3 jaw chucks are junk and you may need to buy a decent one (bison etc). The 4 jaw chucks are usually OK.

I actually know people who have Enco's and like them ( for general pupose turning ), I looked at the other two and think they both look well built for single phase machines. I actually prefer some of their features to the Enco, but would like to actually see one prior to purchase. Perhaps you could contact the distributors and see if there are any in your area you could go take a look at?
    MarkT. www.cnccustomservices.com

Just another guy telling you to buy a used U.S. made machine. Here's my personal favortie in your size class.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONARCH-EE-12-x-...QQcmdZViewItem

A worn out beat to heck 10EE will turn circles around any of the machines you're considering

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T
    Just another guy telling you to buy a used U.S. made machine. Here's my personal favortie in your size class.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MONARCH-EE-12-x-...QQcmdZViewItem

A worn out beat to heck 10EE will turn circles around any of the machines you're considering

Karl
    Holy smokes...that baby is right in my back yard! No shipping costs for me (I could even have it delivered and placed in the garage....only thing I'd have to do is get a 3 phase converter).

Thanks a bunch for pointing out this auction, I'll be watching it very closely. Hopefully the reserve isn't too much.

One other thing, I emailed the guy asking about maintainance issues with this machine. As far as used machines go, what things should I ask about as far as deal breaking things being wrong with this or any lathe/mill?

Jay

I found this other auction here locally for another 10EE .

Are the repairs too much for a newb to tackle?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by crease-guard

One other thing, I emailed the guy asking about maintainance issues with this machine. As far as used machines go, what things should I ask about as far as deal breaking things being wrong with this or any lathe/mill?

Jay
    The one weak thing about 10EE is hard to maintain DC drives. I'd check that this machine is in running condition. It should last you for years as a hobbyist. When it breaks it takes a EE (electrical engineer) to fix a 10EE. For the rest of us, toss the dc motor and drive. Then install a three phase motor and VFD.

I did this on one of my 10EEs (I have two). Plus I added DRO. Makes it ONE SWEET MACHINE.

Karl, I'm envious. A 10 EE is a beautiful machine, in good condition will sell for ten times or more than that ebay bid - they are a rolls royce but will be equally expensive to fix, conversely use they are far more that 10x the machine compared to the others mentioned. there are some 10EE forums around, check out practical machinist etc and start reading.

I'd be jealous if you got a 10EE , but I would caution you that they are so popular, sought after and known that a very low price for one probably means trouble.

Used North American is best value for the money - if you're in an area with a selction, after that spend as much as you can and go as big as you can. imo you're unlikely to regret either decision.

I would reiterate the points made here. If you can get a Monarch or Hardinge, they are in a different league to the Asian stuff you are looking at. I was considering going the Asian route to get a lathe to CNC. In the end I picked up a hardinge TFB for around $2000. It needs some work but will be perfect for my application as most of it will be replaced by the conversion. From what I have seen, usable (without rebuild) Monarch's go for around $3500 to $6000.

If you end up going import, don't go any smaller than the 12x36, that's the least expensive import machine that's actually built worth a poop, at least as far as imports go. Avoid the 9x and its many variants.

Jet and Grizzley will give you better support than the Harbor Freights of the world, and Bill at billstoolcrib.com gives good support on his Birmingham machines. The 12x36 lathes from all three of those companies are pretty much the same, so it comes down to price, accessories and support.

Good luck-

Paul T.

Thanks for the words guys. I think I'm going to go the 12x36 route even before you posted that advice. I can spend time cleaning and adjusting but I don't want to spend time rebuilding anything. If my budget permitted I would love to get something like the 10EE, but the cost of one of those will encompass my mill and lathe budget.

Thanks
    Jay