585,931 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Key for computer control cabinet lost 1990 KM3P - Pics added

Unhappy Key for computer control cabinet lost 1990 KM3P - Pics added

Last time I posted was in January, now its August.

Work was keeping me tired up solid until recently, my hours have now been cut which means I actually have time for "home work".

I got the machine moved into its final spot. Wired up the phase converter. Ran new conduits and power lines so I now have power at the magnetics side disconnect. I am eager to twist the switch - BUT I wanted to be sure all is Kosher in the PC side when I realised I AM LOCKED OUT.

Not sure if there is a way to look up the key pin code based on S/N, or is there a generic key that can do the job - or do I just break out the angle grinder and make a mess of things.

This realisation came about 6pm local time, so too late to call HURCO, and I'm not sure it would do any good, HURCO doesn't want anything to do with any machine with factory blue paint.

Drill a tiny hole on the back of the cabinet, right near the edge and level with the lock. Push a little pin in the hole to shove the lock back into it's housing.

BTDT
    I just drill a hole right through the lock (main off of coarse) and order new ones from mcmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Drill a tiny hole on the back of the cabinet, right near the edge and level with the lock. Push a little pin in the hole to shove the lock back into it's housing.
    So does the reverse pressure on the lock release the lock?

Oh wait, This is not like the safety interlock which uses a plunger style latch. This is a key lock that has an arm an a 90 degree throw.

Attachment 196626Attachment 196628

OK - I got impatient and decided to drill the lock. This machine is in my own shop so there is no need to keep it locked up.

So I do the deed, and sure enough Bloke was right. A 2mm hole and a 1/16" dia welding rod would have popped it right open. I swear I would have put my money on the table and bet that the lock was a rotating arm type. I been sticking my head into too many strange machines.

Lock as viewed from the "hard to get to" side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	196784