584,833 active members*
5,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Adobe Illustrator Files

Adobe Illustrator Files

I got a customer just called and said he will be drawiing something up the next few days.He has no experience sending files.I asked if he had .dxf and a few others.He said he did not think so.? ? ?I have no idea,,,he is there and I am here.I never played with Adobe Illustrator before.So anybody here have experience with that software and know what format at his disposal would be best to send me to open in BoB??This will be 2D.

Depends on which version of Illustrator he has. Newer versions support DXF and DWG but only as an 'export'. Won't find it under 'save as'. Tell him to check his export file options.

Aha,,that's probably it.I told him there had to be an option for .dxf.Thanks Tony.

I think the native Adobe Illustrator format is .ai, and that's supported under BobArt. You have to look under the [BobArt Manager] tab, and click <Load Vector Files> to access it. I don't know how well supported .ai is, especially from version to version, but I think I'd at least try that. Maybe it'll be automagic!

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

You could tell him to save the AI or EPS as "version 8". This should be generic enough to "warn him at export" if anything is being dropped or transformed. Then your both on the same page.