585,668 active members*
4,111 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Adept Robotics CNC

I'm not sure why someone closed my last thread about this, but if this is in the wrong subforum, instead of closing it please move it to the appropriate place. There are way too many sub forums to expect new users to know where to start new threads.

Anyways, this is my Adept Robot I have been retrofitting into a CNC Metalworking mill. Yes, it is using an expo marker. But it is also interpreting g-code over my LAN network, and I'm honestly just excited to have it working as much as it is. I till need to finish programming in all the G-Code interpretations, especially the rapid positioning functions.

But it works:

The robot in my room:

What type of spindle should I use for this? I have several leftover 400W servos I could use as well. I would like to use one for automatic thread tapping.

In case anyone is interested:

I just bought a... well the best I can describe it is a work station. It uses adept pythons and an exc controller. I'm still trying to figure out a few things about it. Like maintenance is there a way to lubricate the ball screws? I have one that a little squeaky and I think its sluggish(using pendant to jog it manually right now). Is there any way to run the exc controller with a PC and mach 3? I have pictures to see if anyone has seen one like this. My plans are to make multiple heads and tools for it So I can 3d print, mill, and plasma cut with it.Attachment 207150 Attachment 207148 Attachment 207152 Attachment 207154

That's a much older system than what I am using. You can access the ball screws by removing a screw at each end of the axis, on the top panel of the axis. Pull the cover off (you need to make sure nothing is mounted onto the slide of the axis first) and separate it from the dust guard ribbons. You will then have full access to the ball screw. I'm not familiar with the EXC controller, but I do know that it will not hook up to a PC nor mach 3 without some serious software work. To be completely honest it looks like your best bet would be to figure out what model servos are in the axis and use servo drivers. That EXC controller does not have most of the functionality a CX controller has.

Edit: On second glance, the route I would take if I were you would be to record the data stream between the EXC controller and the teach pendant, find out what data makes the robot do what, and then make a micro-controller based interface to read in the step/dir commands from mach 3 and simulate the teach pendant accordingly.

I think that was the plans of the person who I bought it from they had tons of software bobcam, mach3, coreldraw, ect. and a serial/usb adapter. The guy he got it off was cutting small metal art with it. There is heat tape on the bottom of the z axis. It also said in the directions about running it externally thru, i belive it was the cnc2 port.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for getting back to me I didn't
    find a whole lot of info on these.

Quote Originally Posted by initialdrivegtr View Post
    In case anyone is interested:

THose actuators are nice! Really smooth movement... Have you decided how you're going to mount the long axis actuators? Steel frame, extrusion? Probably a bit flimsy with those standoffs....

In terms of rigidity and those standoffs, I have no problem; The standoff ends are mounted into the frame of each axis, so I see very little movement. For now, this is the setup:

The temporary machine controls; I am working on a new control unit that has a HMI (Human Machine Interface) LCD touchscreen, various keyed switches, and the rapid retract controls:

A later version of that part being made in the video: