584,858 active members*
4,830 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Purified water vs. distilled water vs. deionized water

Hi all,

We are installing a new YAG laser from China. It’s 650W output and requires 180 liters (approx. 50 gal) of pure, distilled or deionized water for cooling according to the manual.

Question
    • What’s the difference between the 3 types of water? Which one is the best?
    • Online search shows that I can get 50 gallons of deionized water for $380 at ChemWorld.com while distilled water for $70 from Crystal Springs Bottled Water | Delivery Service ($7/5-gal bottle).
    • Can I use water from my home Culligan water softener? We run it thru reverse osmosis filter.
    • If deionized water is a must where can I buy it? We are in northern New Jersey.

Thanks.

I highly doubt you need deionized water and it may even be detrimental.

Deionized Water - Application Note - Lytron Inc

You can buy distilled water at the grocery store for something like $1 a gallon. We use it in our chillers here (the ones that don't use Dowfrost) with an added inhibitor to prevent growing slime.

Matt

While we have a couple lasers that require DI water, most just want steam distilled water. Di water is actually bad for a lot of stuff, including your health!

I used to work for fuji photo film in edison nj and they made a deionizing unit called an FRSS unit which you would pour water into and it would filter and deionize it if you are going to be using you setup often then it might be worth your while to obtain one it only uses a single D size battery if memory serves me. you could probably pick up one cheaply. any photographic suppliers should carry them as well. good luck

According to Wikipedia, one method to deionize water is to use RO...

"The process of reverse osmosis can be used for the production of deionized water."

Reverse osmosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Thank you so much for the advices. Didn't know deionized water can be so corrosive. I will stay with distilled water for now and it's way cheaper and accessible too.

Good nite!

Hi there
    be carefull with destilled water from publix or wallmart, I had a few gallon standing as reserve for about two month just took a bit out of one and closed it tight and as I wana take them again for exchange the cooling water for the laser again it showed a brownish settlement at the bottom its like murky.
    since then I allways just use R/O water from my R/O system.
    greetings
    waltfl