584,842 active members*
4,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > How to connect Milltronics 8200 to pc and or network.

How to connect Milltronics 8200 to pc and or network.

brand new Milltronics 8200. I do not know how to hook this up to a pc or to my network so that I can send programs directly from pc to it. Can anyone provide any info. on this ?
    Thanks

You should have received a usb thumb drive with a instruction manual for the 8200 controller, at least we did about 8 months ago. I’m assuming this is a new machine with Ethernet port. Set up a share folder on your PC for your programs. You’ll have to get into the parameters of the machine to setup the network. Parameters>Setup>enter “proto3”>password is “3”>network. From there it’s pretty basic, enter the router or computer ip address, name of the share folder, left everything else as default and it worked first time for us. If not you’ll have to resort to the manual. Hope this helps.

I have to say that the new 8200 controller sucks if you’re doing one offs. There is no DNC. You have to load everything into the parts directory then run them from there. Extremely time consuming if all you want to run is one quick program from your CAM software. We’ll run 20 or 30 programs a day sometimes so the time you have to search the part folder adds up by the end of the day. We also received a note from Milltronics to not use the solid graphics until they come up with a bug fix that prevents the machine from starting when not expected.

So do I run a regular cat 5e cable from the machine to a network card in the pc or do I need to use a cross over cable from the ether net port on the machine to the pc ?
    Thanks

Hmm, not sure really. I’m not familiar with cross over cables, but I’m pretty sure we didn’t use one. We got a preassembled cable from Lowes that was long enough to do the job. We connected the machine to a router that feeds multiple machines. Our only problem has been that it times out after a few seconds if you don't select a file right away. Not sure why because it's the only machine that does it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1 View Post
    So do I run a regular cat 5e cable from the machine to a network card in the pc or do I need to use a cross over cable from the ether net port on the machine to the pc ?
    Thanks
    You'd need to run a crossover cable and manually set your IP addresses for the machine and the PC. As well as the subnet mask. If wanting yo directly connect to PC use an IP for PC like 192.168.1.1 and milltronic 192.168.1.2 then set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and gateway can be left blank on either. They should communicate with each other then.

What I mean, and I'm sure you do if you know what a crossover cable is, is that a standard Ethernet cable will put the tx pairs and Rx pairs into the same. You can't tx to tx and Rx to Rx obviously. Hope this helps.

Either this or get a router if you don't have one and set your milltronics IP to one that is similar to what the router assigns and it should work that way as well.

Ranger 1, your dealer should help you with this. not necessarly going into your PC side but with the machine side. ( I dont mess with the customers side, that is for thier IT "person"
    Miltronics service # is 952-442-1401

computer to computer ( your PC direct to the machine) you would use a cross over cable. If you have other computers connected together then you most likly have a router in place and use that, Cat5 or Cat 6 cable does not matter.

Meatychips seems to have a good understanding of IP addresses.

Sportybob

Re: How to connect Milltronics 8200 to pc and or network.

Hi everyone.

Actually i'm with the task of connect Milltronics 8200 through ethernet port, i connect directly with router and with PC with cross over cable, by the two ways the PC can read de CNC machine, i do a ping to machine's IP adress and there is all ok. But... i don't know what can left in all the process of connect and configure because i do everything i found in the manual and read in this post, and can't reach the goal of send the programs directly from PC. I'm do it with win 10 home built 1903 (don't know if could be a problem) and i create a shared folder without user authentication with password. I try all the configuration do a connection between two computers and can see what are in the folder without problems. There could be a step that i'm ignore? Appreciate all the help that you can provide, this connection is important. Best regards

Re: How to connect Milltronics 8200 to pc and or network.

I do not know much about the 8200. However there could be some tips in my post from a few years ago. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/millt...cam-posts.html