585,560 active members*
3,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Training

Training

Good Afternoon all. I am new to Bobcad. Been using it since February as a hobbyist. I was thinking about the 3 day training classes and wanted to get some opinions from folks here. Pros / Cons to these classes? Thanks in advance.

Ronnie

I haven't taken the classes, but I'd guess the only con is the price. That's not to say I think it isn't a fair price, just that it is probably the most expensive way to learn in monetary terms, while other methods are expensive in terms of how much time it takes to learn. Certainly there are plenty of good resources on Youtube (and elsewhere) for learning, but you'll have to spend a lot of your time finding them and knowing what topics you need to learn, where a class offers an organized format with far less time investment. Otherwise, it's about the same as other regional class type conferences that I've seen for other products, maybe even on the more economical side compared to some. If you can afford it, there probably isn't a better way to learn any software than hands on training with people who know it really well.

Have you watched all of the BOBCAD Afterdark Videos on YouTube

Cost... well its not $750. Lets just say way less. As to watching videos online. Yes I have been watching those. Lots. And have learned lots from them.
    Continue to watch bobcad after dark, youtube, etc.

Ronnie

Heard many times the teacher "Sorin" is great.The only reason I have never took the training is they have never came close to my town.Idaho,not as much population as other parts.(and that's a good thing)
    I am pretty familiar with the software now-a-days,But I would still go if he ever came here.

Jessebobcad Guest
    Just so you know while you're working in the software such as V24 or V25 if you hover over a function like Other> Rectangle and then hit the F1 key on your keyboard it will bring up the help with information on how to use the function.

If you're in a milling feature such as a Z Level finish on the Patterns page and you hit F1 for V24 it will bring up the Mill 3 axis wizard information and in V25 it will bring up the Patterns page information.

This works when the F1 key is not linked to the computers help so those with HP computers may run into issues with trying the above.

There are many other items such as the training discs, in house training with BobCAD, on site training with BobCAD, online training, and of course you tube videos. It's really up to how comfortable you are with the software for which training service you take.

What is a fair price to pay for the 3 day class?

The 3 day class runs $250 a day. I feel this is more than a fair cost for a training seminar I believe it to be below industry standard. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think what you'll find by going to this seminar is the gaps that you have in " how the software works" will be filled in. Online training and the training videos or even my video are great... But.... following the work flow with Sorin in a class room for 3 days will be some of the best training you can get on BobCAD CAM products.

We had a training seminar in LA not too long ago and had a AE from HAAS attend the class. The feed back I got from the HAAS AE was, It really covers machining topics for CAD CAM. IMHO it's not just the BobCAD CAM training you're getting, it the "machinist point of view" for using CAD CAM to be successful programming your parts.

By far uses that attend this class are more successful using BobCAD CAM to program there machine, then those who don't. If you can afford it, and you have the time, I highly recommend the class and I am positive you'll be happy you went!
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

bobcad guy Guest
    I took the 3 day seminar, its good if you are unfamiliar with bobcad at all, I had used bobcad about a month and a half before I went, and between watching the videos and trial and error, I found the class to be abit uneventful. but sorin is a good guy, lotta funny stories. that's my 2 cents. I kinda haven't been keepin up with bobcad so much these days, im into solidworks, and camworks now, so much fewer complaints on my part

bobcadguy,

how do you like the new job? Solidworks is awesome so I am sure that is coming along well. Do you have the tech data base down on camworks?

I would agree that sorins seminars are great for beginner to intermediate levels... Lets be fair Bobcadguy you are an advanced user, I say this based on what we talked about at eastec.

bobcad guy Guest
    al, im not bashing anything, I go out of my way to be fair, but most importantly truthful. I enjoyed sorins class, and, had I NOT had the chance to become very familiar with bobcad before attending, the class would have been invaluable. I infact think HIS video is way more helpful to me, than the video professor videos. he explains things as if your learning, and not as if you already know how to use it. and yes, solidworks is awesome, but damn, I really gotta long way to go before I can feel comfortable with it. I actually find myself saying, " in bobcad all I did was..." lol, and camworks, lets just say there 75 ways to do the same thing, and that helps to make it a bit confussing. as you know there are good and bad points to everything, I just don't know all the badpoints on these new systems yet.

pls i need help i need torturial or litereture for geartrax tnx

bobcad guy Guest
    I don't know what geartrax is, but why the heck are you here in a bobcad forum begging for help with geartrax ??