585,591 active members*
2,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Ebay 10A high speed motor controller.....Anyone using one of these?

Ebay 10A high speed motor controller.....Anyone using one of these?

I bought one and cant get the thing to work. Ive tried 110V AC and 90V DC in the "power" ports and nothing happens besides the unit getting warm. Also, two ports are labeled PWM, why? Isnt this unit a PWM motor controller? Why would there be both a motor and PWM (input/ output?) ports on this thing?

Attachment 186590

Anyway, I contacted the seller and was sent this diagram. I cant make sense of it or get it to power a motor. Can anyone help?

SwampDonkey,

Did you attach a potentiometer to the board or are you using the board mounted pot and leaving the jumper on?

Or are you connecting to Mach3 PWM from a breakout board.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

SwampDonkey,

Here is a slightly different controller, I believe the connections are the same.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

No where does it say analog input. Pwm is a industry standard for input control.

The way I interpret it, it is PWM command control (input) The fact it has a large cap I would assume the motor control is also PWM type power output to the motor.
    Why the pot is not clear?
    Looking at some of identical/similar units on ebay, they appear to have analogue (pot) OR PWM control, selectable by jumper?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

More info

1.Can support AC and DC input. Non-existent power supply polarity problems.

2.Ultra-high voltage scope. support 12-160V DC Input. support 9-110V AC input.

3.Large radiator with mounting holes.

4.Ultra-high-power control. Max 5A current.

5.Except the board inside a PWM speed control, can also support an external PWM signal input speed control, external PWM input requirements: level 3.5-12V VPP, the frequency of 1K-10KHZ, in particular apply in MCH3 spindle speed control.

6. A wide range of support motor. Basic right into the letter drive of the market all the DC motor speed control. As long as the DC resistance of the motor is greater than 2 Ohms DC resistance can. Note in particular that this drive can not be less than the DC resistance of 2 Ohm DC motor speed control.

7.Equipped with a fuse protection and better performance.

8.The power indicator, and more convenient to use.

9. If you need the 100K ohms potentiometer which you can see in the picture, you need to buy it extra.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    No where does it say analog input. Pwm is a industry standard for input control.
    Some of these boards have analog and PWM input.

Trying to determine how SwampDonkey has it connected.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Why would there be both a motor and PWM (input/ output?) ports on this thing?
    The references to PWM is to both optional low level PWM command signal, and the power switching to the motor is by PWM method also.
    As the quote from Jeff shows, there is a optional analogue input, Pot may not be supplied?
    Which also appears to be selectable by a jumper?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Some of these boards have analog and PWM input.

Trying to determine how SwampDonkey has it connected.

Jeff...
    I used 90V DC for the power input, a 90V treadmill motor connected to the "motor" terminals. It says it requires over 2 ohms of resistance but im not sure if this motor provides that across the poles, seems like it should.

I used 90V DC for the power input, a 90V treadmill motor connected to the "motor" terminals. It says it requires over 2 ohms of resistance but im not sure if this motor provides that across the poles, seems like it should.
    Sadly, the original attachment is inaccessible. What kind of motor do you have attached, AC or DC? Does the motor run when simply supplied directly with whatever you tried to supply the whole controller? Is there an external potentiometer wired up to control speed, and is it selected by the presumably present jumper pins (as opposed to the external PWM control input being selected)?

The thing is, these controllers regulate speed based on a PWM signal that you can either supply externally (so you have a chance to control it by software, for example), or another PWM signal generated directly on the board, controlled by the previously mentioned potentiometer. The jumper pins usually just switch which PWM signal to pass to the rest of the controller - the internal one or the one it expects you to supply on the PWM input if you need external control...

If I read those units correctly they will take AC or DC power for control of a DC treadmill motor?
    The '2 ohms resistance' is usually critical when starting a motor full on, rather than bring it up from low rpm, or a high voltage stall condition, as once rotating, the motor generated back EMF offsets any high current that may be due to the low resistance.
    You could test it with an external linear pot.
    Al.

Albert E.

SwampDonkey,

Did you attach a potentiometer to the board or are you using the board mounted pot and leaving the jumper on?

Or are you connecting to Mach3 PWM from a breakout board.

Jeff...
    Mine came with a pot already attached. I have not attempted to connect it to Mach3 yet.

Mine came with a pot already attached. .
    Does it work with the Pot?
    Al.

Albert E.

Question

SwampDonkey,

Is the jumper in this position?

Have you tried turning the pot in both directions?

Is the led on when power is applied?

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jumper.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If I read those units correctly they will take AC or DC power for control of a DC treadmill motor?
    The '2 ohms resistance' is usually critical when starting a motor full on, rather than bring it up from low rpm, or a high voltage stall condition, as once rotating, the motor generated back EMF offsets any high current that may be due to the low resistance.
    You could test it with an external linear pot.
    Al.
    Unfortunately the seller doesnt speak the best english. They sent me instructions which told me exactly what I read on the ebay listing. So, maybe I should put a pot or resistor between the motor output and controller? Ive tried 115Vac and 90V DC on the power input ports. Nothing worked.

Unfortunately the seller doesnt speak the best english. They sent me instructions which told me exactly what I read on the ebay listing. So, maybe I should put a pot or resistor between the motor output and controller? Ive tried 115Vac and 90V DC on the power input ports. Nothing worked.
    NO

SwampDonkey,

Is the jumper in this position?

Have you tried turning the pot in both directions?

Is the led on when power is applied?

Jeff...
    SHould I try 115Vac or the 90V dc? Im cautios about blowing this thing now...

Thanks, I shall give it a shot and report back, starting with 90V DC.

I would use ac, just because it is less parts and simple.

You should be able to use either AC or DC, but in the absence of the 3 pin socket for the pot that most similar ones show, I would assume that the pot connects to the same PWM command input terminals, and move the jumper?
    Al.

Albert E.