584,814 active members*
5,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad 25 3 axis pro, 4 axis standard and full simulation. Was worth the upgrade.

BobCad 25 3 axis pro, 4 axis standard and full simulation. Was worth the upgrade.

Just thought I would chime in and give bobcad their due.

I have been a customer for about ten years. I started with version 17. Over the years, I have upgraded when I could afford it. Bobcad will call you so often, that they will finally call when you are flush with cash...leading to an upgrade. Honestly though, several of my upgrades were feature driven. Particularly version 25.

Some months back I upgraded version 25 std to 3 axis mill pro. This was definately worth the money. The toolpaths are much better and have many more options.

Last week I called bobcad (stockholm syndrome) and upgraded to 4th axis standard and they "threw in" full simulation.

Now I have many more options for fourth axis work. Its not the pro (very expensive) but it gives me much more functionality over 3 axis cuts at an indexed location on my 4th axis (not that that is not really useful, mind you)

4th axis simulation is amazing. the full machine sim is really helpful. I cant wait to draw my machines components correctly and imput them into the simulation.

Overall, my ten year relationship with bobcad has been up and down. I can add that most of it has been good, but when its bad, it can be quite a struggle.

I have spent around 3500-4000 with bobcad over the years and dont regret any of it. The expendatures I have been most glad to have made are the first and the most recent. 25 3 axis pro and 25 4th axis standard with full sim were worth the money.
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

I'd totally agree with you Nate, though I've never really had much in the way of downs with Bobcad. Perhaps they know I'm usually broke, but I only get a call or two per year and the time with the software is mostly positive. I started demoing it at V17 as well and bought V18, V21 and now use V24.

In all seriousness, I do make money using their software. I don't think I'd make any more money using anything else, but most other products will cost more. I know very few other measuring sticks that are more meaningful than that. I've also owned a competitor's software prior to Bobcad (well maybe not direct competitor since they were a bit more "upscale" if you asked them), with whom 1 seat cost more than I've paid for Bobcad over 3 different versions and multiple seats. I have a net loss of over $1500 with that competitor's software because it didn't work with my machine as they promised it could (Bobcad could make the post that they couldn't due to the flexible posting system). I couldn't even guess within $10k how much I've made using Bobcad over the years, though of course there's a much larger investment in equipment. Ever since V18, I've used Bobcad and it's the most well rounded software on the market IMHO. There are other software products that may do one thing or another really well, but few of them cover the full gamut of needs that small shops typically have.

Plus, I find that some of the quirks with Bobcad actually come in handy sometimes. Not many CAM systems will let you run a 1mm step over with a 2 inch long unobtainium .02mm ball end router bit (it's a long story as to WHY?, but there's no better way to get a virtually uncompensated toolpath off of a 3d surface).