585,575 active members*
3,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Delta Tau Anyone

I would be interesting in hearing from any Delta-Tau users/integrators, and how they found the CNC software?
    Also how does it compare with other PC based motion card software suppliers?
    I saw it at IMTS one year and it looked really impresive. It also appeared that they had a way of integrating Fanuc drives and motors etc.
    All input welcome.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I work part time as a Delta Tau Integrator.
    I have never used their newest version of software PMAC-NC Pro2. I have a copy of it I just have not had time to play with it. I have used and installed their earlier versions 2.36 and 4.0.
    As for what do I think of their software well it works and I do install it. It has some bugs and problems but all in all not that bad. I know of a few other Delta Tau integrators that hate the software and refuse to use it.
    The Delta Tau PMAC card I believe is one of the best and most versatile PC motion cards out there.
    The strength of the PMAC card is also what I believe to be its biggest problem. Because the card can be used with just about any drive/motor combo out there it is also hard to set up and get working correctly.
    I have not used a PMAC card with a Fanuc drive so I do not know for a fact it will work.

Delta Tau PMAC-Lite

Dear Sir,
    We have a machine running on Delta Tau PMAC-Lite (ISA).The assy no. is 602402-106.We want to buy a spare card.Do you have such card and what will be the price?
    My email address is [email protected]

Regards

Rohit Jain

I got a Delta Tau PMAC, I use it to make lenses and have only had a few niggles (nothing serious). The card has gone down about twice in 3 years requiring total replacement, but then again, the machine runs a full shift every day, so not bad really.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

spare card

Do you have any idea where i can buy a used card in excellent condition? The assy no. is 602402-106.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    I got a Delta Tau PMAC, I use it to make lenses and have only had a few niggles (nothing serious). The card has gone down about twice in 3 years requiring total replacement, but then again, the machine runs a full shift every day, so not bad really.
    Hey ImanCarrot,
    What particular model/features of the PMAC are you using?

Care to give a general idea of your system?
    Ya know, CAM, CAD, software drives motors etc...that you use in your system?

Thanks Much,

Hi Race,

I opened the thing up and it says:

"Delta Tau 202-DSPGAT-000
    9645TEC"

Also "PMAC V 1.148"

Which reminds me... I got two repair boards out at my supplier... will need to chase them.

I'm using it to control a diamond turning lathe.

Optical encoders control the lathe's position using laser interferometry.

The spindle's an air bearing spindle to reduce friction and expansion caused by heat. The whole lot's liquid cooled to further eliminate heat. And the lab it's in is temperature controlled... hehe I hate heat. Oh and humididty- I got that controlled since the refractive index of air changes with humidity and the lasers think they're somewhere other than where they should be.

Both axes and the spindle float on air and they are on an epoxy granite base. The base itself is floated on active air pads. The lab foundations are over thickness.

Software? I use the normal CAD CAM stuff and some special-to-type applications with custom post processors. I got fed up with limitations on the various lens software packages so I wrote my own. I called it BAGIT (Big Aspheric Generator Including Topography) it does stuff that other packages don't. It's not pretty but it certainly does the job
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Hi Race,

I opened the thing up and it says:

"Delta Tau 202-DSPGAT-000
    9645TEC"

Also "PMAC V 1.148"

Which reminds me... I got two repair boards out at my supplier... will need to chase them.

I'm using it to control a diamond turning lathe.

Optical encoders control the lathe's position using laser interferometry.

The spindle's an air bearing spindle to reduce friction and expansion caused by heat. The whole lot's liquid cooled to further eliminate heat. And the lab it's in is temperature controlled... hehe I hate heat. Oh and humididty- I got that controlled since the refractive index of air changes with humidity and the lasers think they're somewhere other than where they should be.

Both axes and the spindle float on air and they are on an epoxy granite base. The base itself is floated on active air pads. The lab foundations are over thickness.

Software? I use the normal CAD CAM stuff and some special-to-type applications with custom post processors. I got fed up with limitations on the various lens software packages so I wrote my own. I called it BAGIT (Big Aspheric Generator Including Topography) it does stuff that other packages don't. It's not pretty but it certainly does the job
    Hey Carrot,
    Sounds like you have a serious setup. I know what you mean by "hearding cats", I have been going around in circles trying to decide which controller Mfg. I should use. So far, I have pretty much decided on Delta Tau because the other guys are either too flakey or just not--in my opionion--high enough in quality or lack ceratin features like closed loop.

Actually, "the normal Cad Cam stuff is what I'm interested in hearing about in conjuntion with the delta tau controller.

For me, I have been going around in circles with this idea of building a 5 axis gantry router of about 12' x 10' (ft) for about a year and haven't gotten very far.

So I thought it would be a good idea to just build a lab that would integrate all of the CAD CAM Controller software I would need before I actually started buying steel and putting the physical machine together. The steel and gears and stuff is not much of a problem, the software and all of the compatability issues and the notion of writing a Post-Processor, on the other hand; is/has been something of an obstacle.

SO, any thoughts, guidance, ideas you might be able to lend would be appreciated.

Al, I think you might find this interesting. I know personally they work with DeltaTau
    www.envoysystemsinc.com

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Smile Machine moniters

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    Al, I think you might find this interesting. I know personally they work with DeltaTau
    www.envoysystemsinc.com

Dick Z
    Interesting, so what would be the practical application of this component?
    In other words, I would need this because it does.....?

Regards, Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    www.envoysystemsinc.com

Dick Z
    Thanks Richard, but since my post over two years ago, I have pretty much settled on galil. They have good support also.
    Al.

Albert E.

I have been working with Delta Tau for a few years now. I have done things from CNC Machines to dedicated stand alone machines.
    I haved used Delta Tau older version of thier NC software and there newest verstion of NC software. And custom writen NC software. I have not wrote my own iterface becase I have never had the need to.
    Delta Tau NC software is not the best but it does get the job done. Load you standard G&M code program and go. No Cad/Cam option need to be done off line.

Delta Tau, Galili

Ron22,
    Can you clarify, expand on these two sentences. I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say.

Ron22 said, "No Cad/Cam option need to be done off line." [And], "I have not wrote my own iterface becase I have never had the need to."

Hey AL,
    rumor has it that Mach3 will work as the HMI for Galil, any truth to that???

Quote Originally Posted by ratrace2 View Post
    rumor has it that Mach3 will work as the HMI for Galil, any truth to that???
    When I checked some time ago, it was not perfected, I have not checked back for a while, maybe I will drop by the mach NG and see what gives.
    Al.

Albert E.

That is what I get for posting when Im tired.
    Delta Tau's NC software uses G&M-code programs. You need an off line post prossesor with your CAD/CAM package.
    Delta Tau NC software does not import DXF or any other drawing files.
    Delta Tau NC software will take the G&M code file and control the machine based on the G&M code file.
    Is this clearer?

hi there,

i am using NCPRO2 from DT. I would like to know if its possible to increase the max spindle speed in the NC-Autopilot. Now it only allows me to have 99999rpm as the max spindle rpm. I cant go beyond this value. Could you please let me know how to increase the max spindle speed to 250000rpm? thank you.

Delta Tau NC questions

For obscure integration / software problems search online for a guy named Chris Ashworth in North Carolina.

He is the best Delta Tau NC integrator on the planet. I used to be a customer of his and would recommend him.

Quote Originally Posted by sc brian View Post
    For obscure integration / software problems search online for a guy named Chris Ashworth in North Carolina.

He is the best Delta Tau NC integrator on the planet. I used to be a customer of his and would recommend him.
    Nice promotion of Chris there.
    I know Chris he is a good guy and has done most of the Delta Tau NC conversion out there.

DT geobrick connections help

hi all,

i would like to wire up a motor rotary encoder to a encoder channels of a DT geobrick. unfortunately, i am unsure of the correct wiring. is it possible for someone to help me on this?

motor encoder pins
    1- B (ENC2)
    2- B- (not ENC2)
    3- Z (ENC0)
    4- W (POS SIG A)
    5- U- (POS SIG NOT C)
    6- U (POS SIG C)
    7- GND (0V)
    8- THERMAL SENSOR K1+ (IF FITTED)
    9- THERMAL SENSOR K2- (IF FITTED)
    10- VCC (DC +5V)
    11- A (ENC 1)
    12- A- (NOT ENC 1)
    13- Z- (NOT ENC 0)
    14- W- (POS SIG NOT A)
    15- V (POS SIG NOT B)
    16- V- (POS SIG B)
    17-

GEOBRICK ENCODER PINS
    1- CHAn+
    2- CHBn+
    3- CHCn+
    4- ENCPWRn
    5- CHUn+/DIRn+
    6- CHWn+/PULn+
    7- 2.5V
    8- STEPPER ENABLE #n
    9- CHAn-
    10- CHBn-
    11- CHCn-
    12- GND
    13- CHVn+/DIRn-
    14- CHTn+
    15- ResOut#n

if someone could kindly show me which pin of the motor encoder connects to which pin of the geobrick, i really appreciate the help.

thank you
    pmac

Here is what I would try.

motor encoder pins --------------------GEOBRICK ENCODER PINS
    1- B (ENC2)----------------------------2- CHBn+
    2- B- (not ENC2)----------------------10- CHBn-
    3- Z (ENC0)----------------------------3- CHCn+
    4- W (POS SIG A)----------------------6- CHWn+/PULn+
    5- U- (POS SIG NOT C)
    6- U (POS SIG C)-----------------------5- CHUn+/DIRn+
    7- GND (0V)---------------------------12- GND
    8- THERMAL SENSOR K1+ (IF FITTED)
    9- THERMAL SENSOR K2- (IF FITTED
    10- VCC (DC +5V)-----------------------4- ENCPWRn
    11- A (ENC 1)---------------------------1- CHAn+
    12- A- (NOT ENC 1)---------------------9- CHAn-
    13- Z- (NOT ENC 0)---------------------11- CHCn-
    14- W- (POS SIG NOT A)
    15- V (POS SIG NOT B)------------------13- CHVn+/DIRn-
    16- V- (POS SIG B)
    17-

Not sure about V,U, or W. This motor has hall right?
    If you want to use the thermal sensor you will have to wire it into the user input and write code for it to kill the motor if tripped.

You could just hook up the A/A-, B/B-, Z/Z- and Power and you should be able to see it count on the GeoBrick.

Page 1 of 2 12