585,956 active members*
4,342 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinnati Sabre 750 Acramatic 850 SX

Talking Cincinnati Sabre 750 Acramatic 850 SX

Hi There!

I am new to the forum as a poster, but a long time reader.

After spending countless hours if not days drooling over other peoples VMCs I came across one on the local auction website and made a life changing choice. I went ahead and purchased it!!
    Now the fun starts. I am a happy owner now of a Cincinnati Sabre 750 with the Acramatic 850 SX controler. The unit was siting in a barn for nearly 10 years unused. It was purchased used with the hopes that it would aid them in expanding their company by build prototypes in-house. The dream never materialized.

Now it is my turn to give the dream a go and see if I can make one bad mama jama hobby unit. From what I heard from the previous owner the controller is temperamental. It works sometimes but not always and it is very unpredictable. Since buying the unit and paying to have it moved I have had little to no money to invest in 3 phase power to try it out. Now there is power in the garage to fire it up!! This is when I thought it would be a great idea to share my experience with CNC Zone and I hope the experienced members will be able to assist and point me in the right direction.

State of the machine:
    The ball screws and linear rails look to be in good working order.
    The electrical cabinet appears to be very well organized and well labeled (no evidence of tampering DIYing)
    The entire unit is covered in 10 year old zwarf and dried cutting fluid. (over 20 hours spent cleaning and no where near half done)
    Cowling is ok, will need a few smacks with the rubber mallet but nothing outlandish wrong
    Spindle looks good (have not powered up yet to see if it will hold and release tools)

Desired goal for the machine:
    I would like to run the machine with Mach3 and have solidcam or a similar package to post process.
    If possible with out costing moon beams I would like to modernize the electrical cabinet. I see break out boards and control boards that are a 1/4 of the size of the current ones.

As you can see from the photo there is a LOT of work to be done.

Keen to hear the communities thoughts.

Sourkraut

Having some time this last week, I have been able to work on the machine a bit.Attachment 201494

It is stripped down and receiving a thorough cleaning. The cowling is going to need some serious cleaning, sand blasting and painting.

Having done some research I think this machine is going to go the way of Ajaxcnc. I have had some great correspondence with Ajax and received prompt and knowledgeable advice.

Since the machine is getting a serious birthday I need to raise some funds. All of the electronics from the encoders to the UI and on to complete electrical cabinet is for sale. Being in New Zealand I am afraid that there is not a large enough market for Sabre 750 parts.

I will post the parts on ebay and hope for the best. If the buyer is not in a rush I can arrange LCL of the components and it should not cost much. I would even entertain the idea of taking 1/2 freighting price off the final purchase price.

Will post more pics as the cleaning progresses!

Hi sourkraut,

How is your machine coming along?

On the enclosure door glide, does your door roll correctly? Can you post any photos of the enclosure parts where the door rolls?

Also, do the right and left front enclosures align properly, allowing the door to properly close?

Thanks in advance.

I have a few of the manuals for this machine with the 850MC control. Otherwise, the frame is the same, Sabre 750 15HP. Mine is 1991.

The tool changer air cylinders on my need new end buffers, as it somewhat booms when it comes toward the spindle for tool loading.

Hi Keith,

I have all of sheet metal in a pile on a pallet at the moment waiting for some free time to sand blast and paint, so pictures at this moment will be of little help.

Before taking the doors and panels off it was quite obvious that the panels will need some fine tuning before everything aligns again. I remember that the doors did move freely but it was a far cry from gliding and sealing shut.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

The project is on hold for the time being as to get the machine running will need a serious cash injection.

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Sabre 750 Acramatic 850 SX

Did you manage to finish this conversion? I just saw one of these same machines appear for close to scrap price and happen to have a spare CSMIO IP/A controller laying in the garage and I'm considering taking the plunge.