585,759 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > G0704 2 HP 3 phase spindle motor upgrade
Page 2 of 2 12
    So I haven't made a single chip with this thing and could not go to bed with out running some material through it. 7075 aluminum, 3/8" double flute end mill, 500 thou DOC, 6100 RPM, 117 Ipm and just let it rip. Cuttings spewing out of the cutter, motor never changed pitch, cut like nothing was there and, it was soooooo quiet too. Absolutely elated with the results.

take any video or the milling?

Quote Originally Posted by bollero View Post
    take any video or the milling?
    Not yet. Haven't stepped foot in the garage this week between being under the weather and on the road. Can't promise anything but will do my best to make a video of it cutting and how to set up the Modbus link between the drive and Mach 3.

Here a cell phone clip of the machine cutting for the first time under CNC with the new motor. The feed are being babied and not quite comfortable letting it rip at the suggested rates yets. But, the hogging was done at 5000 rpm, 15 ipm, .100 DOC and, 3/8 EM. the finishing passes are at 6100 rpm 10 ipm.

I stepped it up to 25 ipm for the next few operations (not in the video) while watching the motor load. Went from 50% (no cutting) to 56% and couldn't notice a difference.

Well done on the mounts. I put a 56C 1.5 hp motor on my G704, too. I learned not all 56c motors are the same. The mounting surface is, but the body of the motor may vary. I have two motors. One has a smaller motor housing and provides better clearance. Like you, none of my cuts slow down the motor. A smaller framed motor in 1.5 hp or 1 hp would be lighter weight and be ideal.

Thanks for sharing your plans. I intend to make a set. My mounts need to be improved.

Does the extra weight up on the head cause any problems other than increased load on the Z-axis motor and screw?

Bill

No noticeable problems to speak off. Maybe if there was a 5th axis it could cause some lateral flex when not in the vertical position but I don't plan on running it that way.

Could one use the GS1-22P0 GS1-22P0 instead of the GS3-22P0 GS3-22P0 using mach 3?

Yes and No.

The GS1 series only support single phase input to three phase output up to 1.0 HP. A three phase service would be required to power the GS1-22P0

The GS1s do support modbus communications. So yes, it can communicate to Mach 3 via modbus using an RS485 adapter. Registers of particular interest would be 42331 (Speed reference), 42332 (Run command) &, 42333 (Direction).

Curious do you a have 3 phase service or are you using a phase converter? Am surprised you'd need 3 phase for such a small mill - comments appreciated.

Re: G0704 2 HP 3 phase spindle motor upgrade

Hello, I know I'm digging up an old thread but I was wondering how your mill and motor is performing after your 3 phase upgrade? The stock motor on my g0704 is on its way out and I was looking to replace the unit with a small form factor 2hp Dayton 3 phase motor I have. The motor is a 3500rpm model and I don't know if that will create problems with speed or torque. I figured somewhere around a 2:1 ratio pully conversion where the smaller pulley is on the motor may satisfy this but I am not sure. I am familiar with VFD setup and basic usage as I have one on my lathe, but it is not programmed with advance features. Any insight or suggestions you may have regarding the motors application would appreciated. Thanks. Great job on the conversion by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jbar View Post
    Curious do you a have 3 phase service or are you using a phase converter? Am surprised you'd need 3 phase for such a small mill - comments appreciated.
    He only needed 3 phase because that is the motor he chose.

There are VFD's that will take a single phase input and output 3 phase and can power larger than 1 hp. See Lenze/AC Tech SCM series. In fact up to 3 hp on single phase 220v. AC Tech SCM Frequency Inverters IP20 V/f Control
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayyub2007 View Post
    Hello, I know I'm digging up an old thread but I was wondering how your mill and motor is performing after your 3 phase upgrade? The stock motor on my g0704 is on its way out and I was looking to replace the unit with a small form factor 2hp Dayton 3 phase motor I have. The motor is a 3500rpm model and I don't know if that will create problems with speed or torque. I figured somewhere around a 2:1 ratio pully conversion where the smaller pulley is on the motor may satisfy this but I am not sure. I am familiar with VFD setup and basic usage as I have one on my lathe, but it is not programmed with advance features. Any insight or suggestions you may have regarding the motors application would appreciated. Thanks. Great job on the conversion by the way.
    As long as you're geared correctly and have the right spindle bearings I wouldnt expect any issues! Make sure your motor is inverter duty however, they're designed to handle the extra heat generated by how a VFD chops up AC pulses to adjust the motor speed. See here for an explanation: AvE - Inverters Explained

On a different note: how bad is the noise you're getting from the drive at the moment? I'm still using the stock motor but have it belt driven with a similar belt and the noise is just brutal at 3200-3500 rpm.

Ok, I have figured out how to write the brain and set up the MODBUS communication with the GS3 VFD. I was over thinking it and found it difficult. Then one night, over tired and ready to just sleep it clicked. Need help drop me a PM and I will gladly help you.

David
    San Jose, CA

Page 2 of 2 12