584,805 active members*
4,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Have trouble lofting a hex into a circle.

Have trouble lofting a hex into a circle.

Greetings. I am new to working with solids so this has been killing me. I am trying to create a 12.125 octagon that extrudes up .75 then lofts into a circle with the over all height being 2.9. I have tried a few different approaches and none seem to work the way I want. Can some one give me a pointer or two on how to accomplish this.

Thanks for reading.

What is the diameter of the circle?

Sorry, should of included that. It is 4.45 I will post the results that I have in a few minutes.

I'm not sure if the same rules hold in mastercam so forgive me if this is incorrect.

Other software requires that the two end shapes have the same number of segments/vertices in order to loft properly. You might try making the circle into 6 segments with the vertices aligned the way you want with the hex.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

i will give it a shot, thanks!

These are the results I get. I noticed I said hex in my first post, it is an octagon. This is not what I am looking for. I basically want the flat on each side of the octagon to go straight to circle, not spiral.

Attachment 198472

Played around a bit. I think the trouble is that you need to rotate the segments so they are lined up as you want. (I rotated 22.5 deg)

You must also select the same sides on both the octagon and circle. (Ex. Top segment on the octagon and top arc on the circle)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

What version of MC or do you just want a STP file. I made mine in X7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solidoctotodia.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

This is what I have so far. I am unable to get a full circle on the top. What I did was basically make a cone and then flattened the top, I was going to try and add fillets to get the circle, but that doesn't seem to work. I am currently using X5.

Attachment 199010

I used loft and extrude add a boss to create it. what size is the dia at top is that a 4.45 radii or Dia.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

It is 4.45 Dia. I am going to start over and play some more to see if I can get it.

What size are the corner radii?
    Cadcam

The corner radii aren't critical really. I am trying to replicate this. It isn't for a job or anything. I am just finding things to try and make models of and I figured this would be kind of tricky.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCT BASE.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	199128

ok so we just guessing at the Radii then from it pictorially?
    Cadcam

That's all I was doing. I was primarily focusing on getting the draft to work for now. For some reason I am really struggling with it.

PM me how to contact you I can help you off here.
    Cadcam

Thanks! I tried to PM you but it said you can't receive messages

go to Home and call the number.
    Cadcam

Thanks for all the help!

glad to be of help. keep plugging away sir.
    Cadcam