585,602 active members*
3,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    A little more progress I got the other side of the Z plate installed. I am very happy with the rigidity and accuracy. Working with setting up touch probe now. Relocated a part and did some finish cuts finish and size was fantastic. Better than the old Bridgeport at where I used to work as far fit and finish not as rigid as that of course. I think now I'm going to need a little more RPM on spindle I have plenty of torque so I'm going to do some work on pullys. I originally didn't want to push the X2 bearings but a lot of people here are running them up to 6500 rpm I will try for something around that area.

Well, if you toast the bearings it will be a good time to see about upgrading them.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

I quickly wore out the original X2 bearings at 6600 RPM. Probably about 4 months in running 6 and 7 days a week.
    I bought some from McMaster Carr and then from VXB. Both sources reasonable on cost. Just over $20 a pair IIRC.
    I get a good year out of those before I start seeing a little too much runout.
    Pretty much in production mode though. For a hobby mill, you can probably not even worry about wearing them out.
    Looking good and keep us updated. It's always nice to see some home made ingenuity.
    Lee

leeway do you remember the bearing # from vxb. I am so glad it came out as rigid as it did. Those people who posted earlier really had me worried and anxious. It is way more rigid than the X2 I had even with all the Z support I added and even way more rigid than a X3 a friend of mine had. Z deflection front to back with a hefty push is .001 and side to side .002. And I weigh 300 pounds I am very happy and little bit sore from drilling and tapping so many holes by hand

Post #148 in my build thread here has links to the bearings I use.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...l_build-4.html

Apparently these are different bearings or the RPM ratings have changed since I bought mine last.
    Still good enough ratings for our machines.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Post #148 in my build thread here has links to the bearings I use.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...l_build-4.html

Apparently these are different bearings or the RPM ratings have changed since I bought mine last.
    Still good enough ratings for our machines.
    Thank you leeway

Machine is up and running I don't want to say finished because I don't think they ever are . Got my touch probes for Z and edge finding set up and calibrated the axis. Cuts pretty good here are a couple pictures the one of the chips shows good size and shape. Cutting aluminum 6061 with 5/16 end mill .060 doc 20 ipm 3000 RPM with a 10 ipm plunge

That's awesome! You must be pretty damn pleased with what you've built!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Re: Scratch build small mill

Despite all the naysayers it's been months of operation now this little machine is fantastic way stiffer sturdier than I thought. I've made countless parts and piles of chips works flawlessly I couldn't of been happier with the outcome. In the middle of building it I was really worried I just want to post this to say. The idea of a large angle plate is a good idea for z axis and bolted aluminum plates work fine in case somebody else's thinking of building scratch

I never had a doubt. Congrats on getting it completed and working. Excellent!
    Lee

I always thought it was a nice intermediate design. I am glad its working for you. Just FTN (for the naysayers) Taig is a decent small mill (light cutting only) and its a composite steel and aluminum machine with a nice steel backbone. XiMotion/MaxNC is an all hard anodize aluminum machine with dovetail construction and it works fine. No you aren't going to hog out huge gobs of metal with either machine, but they are decent light duty machines for bench top hobbyists.

I think this build is a nice intermediate idea. Probably a solid step above a Taig. No, its not a Haas or Fadal or a Hurco, but its not a toy either.

Good job. I would love to see some video clips of this thing winging through some of your better cuts.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Very cool
    I dig your computer control workstation, Makes me want to add a stop button.
    Keep up the great work.

Also
    you guys ever look at the work metalmodellbau guy does with his bench mill. A great example of how skill will go long way!
    Eine Kleinfräsmaschine, oder Zerspanung auf dem Desktop
    Need to use translator or I do anyway Some amazing work imho.

md

Page 3 of 3 123