585,982 active members*
4,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > 4th axis options and opinions.

4th axis options and opinions.

So my little machine shop 3503 kx3 has the 4th axis driver installed and the plug. Looking to utilize this just to learn some simple 4 axis programming. Little machine shop sells a setup with tail stock for $915 bucks which I think is excessive compared to what I've seen on eBay.

eBay 4th axis:
    bit.ly

Little machine shop:
    https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...3519&category=

I plan on eventually getting a tormach machine so maybe even this 6" rotary would work, something I can later use on the tormach. Not sure if it will properly fit but I'll measure.

30267 - 6" Motorized Table

Anyone have any advice, suggestions, stories, etc? The tormachs quality is attractive for the price and that I can use it later on, just have to see if it fits.

Re: 4th axis options and opinions.

I have no advice to give on the subject, but thanks for the like to the ebay 4 axis. you can get it even cheaper form his website ( like$20~$30 ) I may jump on that once I get my machine running and want the next challenge

Andrew

Another option is the Sherline rotary table, made in the USA. The CNC-ready version sells for $320; their tailstock is another $75. Taig has a similar setup based on the same rotary table, set up slightly differently, with their own tailstock.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Another option is the Sherline rotary table, made in the USA. The CNC-ready version sells for $320; CNC-ready Rotary Table their tailstock is another $75. Taig has a similar setup based on the same rotary table, set up slightly differently, with their own tailstock.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I bought a 4" table from ebay that looks like the phase ii/ lms 4" Precision Horizontal and Vertical Rotary Table | eBay and used the same 570oz stepper that I have on the 0704 to turn it. Does not have ball bearings but the worm gear is fully adjustable to where I cannot measure any backlash. The fastest Mach will let me turn it is 720 degrees per minute (2 rpm). I have made a few worm gears already that turned out well.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    So my little machine shop 3503 kx3 has the 4th axis driver installed and the plug. Looking to utilize this just to learn some simple 4 axis programming. Little machine shop sells a setup with tail stock for $915 bucks which I think is excessive compared to what I've seen on eBay.

eBay 4th axis:
    bit.ly

Little machine shop:
    https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...3519&category=

I plan on eventually getting a tormach machine so maybe even this 6" rotary would work, something I can later use on the tormach. Not sure if it will properly fit but I'll measure.

30267 - 6" Motorized Table

Anyone have any advice, suggestions, stories, etc? The tormachs quality is attractive for the price and that I can use it later on, just have to see if it fits.
    I have the table you found on ebay, while mine is not set up with a motor the design is horrible. The worm is free floating on one end, there is no real way to adjust backlash. Lubrication is a joke since the only option is to gob as much grease as possible through the input shaft. it will not survive a heavy load. its ideal use is for positioning your work piece preferably on a drill press and locking down the axis as tight as possible, which by the way will loosen up on you repeatedly especially if you are milling with it.