584,865 active members*
4,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Anyone having trouble with skinning wire frame drawings like I am?

Anyone having trouble with skinning wire frame drawings like I am?

I've using Bobcad for about 2 years-V 24 and 25- I am doing a project where I merged a series of wire frame ( call them oval shapes with half oval inclusions) all in the X and y Axis--Merged in the -Z axis .100" apart--My challenge began when I wanted to Skin these wire frames( I'll call them layers)
    In the first Z-.900" of layers I am able successfully use the cross section tool and create a decent solid--If I try to cross section or skin the entire part I get an explosion of deformed surfaces jutting inside and outside the wire frame.--I sent this drawing over to BobCad and they tried to show me how to patch the wire frame together with points,surface extend and skin--Resulting in a lost 20 hours and not a hint of success.
    I won't use the gents name but he ended by saying my geometry isn't clean enough--Looks pretty darn clean to me even in gigantic zoom mode!--I took great pains to be sure everything was attached in every layer nice and clean before I merged the files.
    Anyone have any tricks?-MTB

By the way I think Bobcads people are fantastic-- this isn't here to thrash Bobcad--

Can you .zip a .bbcd file so we can take a look.Bad geometry is indeed a major culprit,that,and a proper work flow.With a file I am sure some one on here can get you sorted.

Bobcad (as well as most 3d modelers) is picky about the geometry, but also it's picky about the sequencing of events to create the skin. It would be best if you can post a file.

Speaking to the cross section command, the only thing to offer without the file, is you will want to utilize the "equalize" command with all of your profiles.

So in other words, you make all of your profiles equal to each other in their segmentation/parametrization and then chain select properly and the cross section will work.

Depending on what your actually looking at though, this may change to using another command a different way. There are some "tricks", or better said, knowledge about how a particular command works, that can be passed along in the forum here. It will be hard to do without a bbcd file to address.

See if you can create success by running the equalize command on your profiles before the cross section. (Remember to "chain select" the geometry for both commands)

A Bright Fellow Mr BurrMan! Thank You! Now I only wish my laptop was up to snuff--single core doesn't cut it--MTB

Is there a good example of the skinning fow you gents keep talking about?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk