585,954 active members*
4,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Milling features on round parts

Milling features on round parts

v24 Pro user, mostly used the lathe functions but recently acquired a mini-mill and am new to that side of things.

I have attached a couple screenshots of what I'm trying to do, just to teach myself how to learn the basics of things. The parts are completely random, using scrap drops just because I can. I've downloaded and watched Sorin's 3D parts videos, but something I'm doing just isn't right. I drew my parts in Rhino then opened in BobCad. I may not have switched back out of lathe mode to take the screen shots, but I'm aware that I need to switch modes for milling (axis indicators may be off).

The first would be to mill the ledge on the outside of the cylinder. (Yeah I can do it on the lathe easier, that's not the point, lol). I drew the hole centered the same size as the endmill I have to use so I could use it for locating purposes more than actually needing the feature. I'd like to cut it from the outside-in, stepping down from Z at .050 per pass. The second is just milling the slots along the top, again taking .050 per pass in multiple steps down from Z.

I've tried all sorts of things and experimented for two days with this and another test part, milling the sides to create a hex head for wrenching. I'm not getting any toolpaths created, and I can't seem to get it to find the stock, much less the proper geometry for it. When I go to edit it, and choose Cylinder, there is no way to turn it up on end that I can see. You can turn it in X,Y but not an option for Z--and even then it shows up as a rectangle?

Can anyone give me a basic walk-thru to get me started?

Dubby,welcome to the forum.I am at lunch right now,not much time,plus I type slow,slow.But here is a link with all kinds of info if you would like.Maybe someone with more time can respond and help you out.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...formation.html

For selecting the cyl stock or other shape

As RAF pointed out, in V24 you draw the stock geometry and select it for stock. The "cylindrical stock" selection in the stock edit dialogue is for setting the system into "4th axis wrapping" mode.......

This one way that you might try for your ledge cut using the pocket feature I also used the pocket feature for center hole rather than a straight plunge with a smaller end mill. There are many ways to do this it is what ever you prefer. Note when verifying the stock has always showed a rectangle even though you have selected and are showing a cylinder on the tool path sreen.

Cool, thanks RAF. I'll have to check it when I go out to the shop in the morning, I don't have bbcd on this machine in the house.

Drawing out the stock like that does seem to be what my issue was. I'll have to experiment with lead ins and such but I think I can tinker with that pretty easy and try some of the other strategies to accomplish the same thing. This was the first full computer control I turned over to my little mill, and it was good enough to make sure everything worked and it didn't crash, lol. Next time I may even try it with stock instead of just air!