585,578 active members*
3,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mach 3 + G540 + UC100 + WJ200 = Can't run spindle from Mach 3?
Page 1 of 2 12

Mach 3 + G540 + UC100 + WJ200 = Can't run spindle from Mach 3?

I've been doing pretty well up to this point. I have everything hooked up, my X and Y axis are moving correctly with Mach 3 connecting through the UC100 and the G540.

I have a Hitachi WJ200 connected to an Iron Horse 1hp 3600rpm motor and I can run it fine from the control panel on the VFD. When I set A001 and A002 to 01 which is Analog control, and connect it to the G540 I seem to have a problem with the UC100. If I open the UC100 monitor window it has no LED's lit up for Pin 14 which is the spindle pin.

I'm not even sure where to go from here, I've triple checked my wiring, and have looked through various other peoples setups from here and have the VFD setup correctly I believe. Did I miss a step somewhere? Anyone help me start digging around?

Thanks

PS, is it ok for my 380oz/in stepper to get pretty warm at idle/holding torque? Is this the normal state when powered on with Mach 3 running?

Carl

Steppers do get hot when idle. Not a problem if you have the correct current limiting resistor
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Do you have the output for the relay enabled under ports and pins/Spindle setup (M3)? Is output 3 enabled on the ports and pins/output signals page? Port 1 pin 14 should be selected there also.

I've tried various combinations but can't seem to get it to work. Do I need to restart Mach3 everytime I make these sorts of changes or a reset enough?

When I press on for the spindle, the UC100 pin14 flashes red, so im not sure if thats good or bad. Still am not getting any movement from the spindle motors. I wonder if I need to do anything other than set them to analog control after I am able to get them to run?

It never hurts to restart after changes. IIRC it actually prompts you if it is required, or says it on the configuration pages that require it.

I am not familiar with the UC100.

Do you have the VFD wired to the G540? If so how?

Do you have a relay too?

Btw any pictures even with cell phones help diagnosis. Screenshots too.

If you really want to make it simple, use the modbus serial interface. A $10 RS232 to 485 adapter on ebay is all you need. One of these days I will get around to doing a tutorial.

UC100 is the USB to parallel port adapter, right?

That said... Here is the manual http://www.clrwtr.com/PDF/Hitachi/Hi...ser-Manual.pdf
    Are you running a pulse directly to the drive to set the speed? If so...
    Looking at the manual it looks like A001 need to be set to 06 (Pulse train input). 01 means use the speed reference from the keypad. More details on wiring that up in pg 4.89 of the manual

A002 should be 01. To start the drive you need to connect terminals P24 and FW(1) using a relay (pg 4.16)

Personally I hate using any kind of voltage based analog control signal. Drives are electrically noisy critters and can play hell on these signals. 4-20mA current loops are the best option followed by RS485 serial control imho.

Thanks CodeRage.

Yes, UC100 is the USB to parallel port.

If I run the relay to P24 and FW, I think it's a 24V relay I'd need. This way I should be able to run forward and reverse with the one input as well.

I'll take some pictures tonight. The computer I'm running doesn't have Photoshop and only 1gb of ram so its tough to get screenshots.

I am sorry, just saw the G540 puts out a 0-10V signal. So A001 = 01 is correct
    G540 pin 7 (VFD GND) goes to terminal L in the VFD
    G540 pin 8 (VFD) goes to terminal O in the VFD
    G540 pin 9 (VFD +V) goes to terminal H in the VFD

If I understand that right the G540 Output 1 and 2's sink current. You'll need a relay with a coil rating the same as the power supply running your gecko. Wire one side of the relays coil to the power supplies positive terminal and the other to Output 1 or 2. Then switch P24 and terminal 1 of the VFD together using the relay's normally open contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
    I am sorry, just saw the G540 puts out a 0-10V signal. So A001 = 01 is correct
    G540 pin 7 (VFD GND) goes to terminal L in the VFD
    G540 pin 8 (VFD) goes to terminal O in the VFD
    G540 pin 9 (VFD +V) goes to terminal H in the VFD
    Yes this is how I have it wired. I'm just not sure now if I have my Mach3 settings correct as I can't find definitive reference on a few items. And im not sure if the UC100 is behaving the way I think it would which is passing signals 1 for 1 just like the parallel port does. IE; changing pins etc, but I doubt it.

I am a little suspicious of having output 3 being configured for CW or CCW rotation. Doesnt seem like it could be both.

Ok so i changed it to output 3. Ports anf pins seem ok. The UC100 is giving a signal on pin 14, but still nothing at the vfd. What should i have set for base frequency and minimum? Im a biy confused there from the things ive read.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

dubble Guest
    How is the VFD setup? Is it setup for analog 0-10V input or where is it getting the speed command from?
    If it is set to analog input then did you wire the VFD analog input to the G540 analog output?
    And how you switching on the spindle in Mach3? Did you command a M3 Sxxxx, I mean did you define any "S" parameter which is the spindle speed?
    To get a PWM-> analog output you must set the "S" parameter, otherwise if the S is zero then you will have 0Volts analog signal to the VFD which will not run your spindle motor...
    Also I advice you to measure the signals which getting to your VFD with a multimeter to get an idea if your Mach3 side is not working as you like it to work or the VFD side.

dubble Guest
    If a pin flashes means you have a PWM on that pin. If pin 14 is your start signal to your VFD then your configuration of this pin is sure uncorrect.
    You should configure your spindle PWM to the analog(PWM) pin and not the start signal...

dubble Guest
    According to the G540 manual you should set your PWM frequency to 50Hz and you should set this to pin 14. and the pin should be flashing on the UC100 I/O monitor when the signal is activated. And don't forget to configure the M3 pin too to the pin where your VFD start signal is connected to. This signal will activate if you commanding an M3 and will trigger your VFD start input. (In case the VFD is configured correctly)
    And one more info for you is that the UC100 I/O monitor always showing the pins physical levels. If it is grey then the pin is low and if it is colored then it is high.

Thanks Dubble.

I am getting closer. I think I've got the UC100 and Mach3 stuff mostly figured out. I set PWM frequency to 50, and I set minimum to 0 or 5, tried both.

Now when I enable to spindle, I see a solid red LED on the UC100 monitor pin 14. The other thing I can confirm is that with a multimeter, I am getting 10v on my reference voltage pin 9, and pin 8 I am getting variable volts from 0-10v.

Also, when I hook the wires up to the VFD, and I put it on F001 'set', and I run/stop the spindle from Mach3, I see the Hz ranging from 0 to 60hz when I go from off/on. So i'm getting a signal to my VFD. When I go into D001, D002, or D003, it's obviously not switching the motor on, or sending a forward command. In Mach3 under the Motor Outputs tab, I assume I need a value in the Dir Pin # for the spindle to send this signal, but it's not obvious what this pin should be. I think this may be the missing step, or something in the VFD.

Also, I am running s1000 or sXXXX commands into the manual input in Mach3 to set spindle speeds and see my PWM % in the UC100 monitor go up and down accordingly.

Thanks again everyone. So close... I think.

dubble Guest
    Hey,

It seems you really getting close if you having the analog variable signal on the pin 8. of the G540.
    Now there are 2 questions remaining:
    1.) Is this analog signal is connected to the right input pin on the VFD? I mean you configured this terminal as analog input on your VFD?
    2.) I'm not familiar with the type of VFD you using, but what I saw VFDs so far needed also a digital start signal, not only the analog signal.
    This works like if the start signal is active and the analog signal is not zero then the VFD starting the motor and running it on proportinal speed to the analog signal.

So, I think you missed yet to connect a start signal and probably this is why your motor not starting.

And the dir signal in Mach3 is not sure is required, depends on your VFD setup and if you will use this signal to change the spindle motor's direction. If you will not use it then you can leave it unconfigured.

Check your VFD manual and see which is your start signal screw terminal, probably it is configurable using the VFD's terminal.

Alas, got it running.

Had to swap the jumper from P24/PLC to PLC/L, and then create a new jumper from P24 to 1 (the default run command terminal). I can swap it to 2, for reverse, but I dont see when I'd need reverse on my lathe/mill.

Thanks for all the help. And Dubble, for the UC100, great product, runs well on my WinXP machine.

Alas, got it running.

Had to swap the jumper from P24/PLC to PLC/L, and then create a new jumper from P24 to 1 (the default run command terminal). I can swap it to 2, for reverse, but I dont see when I'd need reverse on my lathe/mill.

Thanks for all the help. And Dubble, for the UC100, great product, runs well on my WinXP machine.

Page 1 of 2 12